Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hottest temperature on earth...

http://www.livescience.com/technolog..._sandia_z.html

Scientists have produced superheated gas exceeding temperatures of 2 billion degrees Kelvin, or 3.6 billion degrees Fahrenheit.

This is hotter than the interior of our Sun, which is about 15 million degrees Kelvin, and also hotter than any previous temperature ever achieved on Earth, they say.

They don't know how they did it.

The feat was accomplished in the Z machine at Sandia National Laboratories.

"At first, we were disbelieving," said project leader Chris Deeney. "We repeated the experiment many times to make sure we had a true result."

Thermonuclear explosions are estimated to reach only tens to hundreds of millions of degrees Kelvin; other nuclear fusion experiments have achieved temperatures of about 500 million degrees Kelvin, said a spokesperson at the lab.

The achievement was detailed in the Feb. 24 issue of the journal Physical Review Letters.

The Z machine is the largest X-ray generator in the world. It’s designed to test materials under extreme temperatures and pressures. It works by releasing 20 million amps of electricity into a vertical array of very fine tungsten wires. The wires dissolve into a cloud of charged particles, a superheated gas called plasma.

A very strong magnetic field compresses the plasma into the thickness of a pencil lead. This causes the plasma to release energy in the form of X-rays, but the X-rays are usually only several million degrees.

Sandia researchers still aren’t sure how the machine achieved the new record. Part of it is probably due to the replacement of the tungsten steel wires with slightly thicker steel wires, which allow the plasma ions to travel faster and thus achieve higher temperatures.

One thing that puzzles scientists is that the high temperature was achieved after the plasma’s ions should have been losing energy and cooling. Also, when the high temperature was achieved, the Z machine was releasing more energy than was originally put in, something that usually occurs only in nuclear reactions.

Sandia consultant Malcolm Haines theorizes that some unknown energy source is involved, which is providing the machine with an extra jolt of energy just as the plasma ions are beginning to slow down.

Sandia National Laboratories is located by Albuquerque New Mexico and is part of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).
    does the "They don't know how they did it." part scare anyone else? Pressing random buttons on an elevator is one thing, but on a machine that could prolly microwave the earth....

*spills coffee on the 'Destroy The World' button*

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

that's pretty sweet though. I'm not sure what the point would be to have something that could be heated to that degree.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
        *spills coffee on the 'Destroy The World' button*
        That's amazing

Comment

Originally posted by aero
          does the "They don't know how they did it." part scare anyone else?
          Indeed. =S

Comment

Perhaps the next step in making fusion a probable power source.

They had trouble containing temps, but they apparently just have.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

i love physics like this. Things like string theory, the theory of relativity, time travel, etc. have always intreaged me.

"Sandia consultant Malcolm Haines theorizes that some unknown energy source is involved"

reading things like that always makes me second guess our understanding of the universe. its great

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

''One thing that puzzles scientists is that the high temperature was achieved after the plasma’s ions should have been losing energy and cooling. Also, when the high temperature was achieved, the Z machine was releasing more energy than was originally put in, something that usually occurs only in nuclear reactions.''

this was the most intresting part of the article imo.

Comment

cool....diff scary
                  My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

Originally posted by colslaw87
                    that's pretty sweet though. I'm not sure what the point would be to have something that could be heated to that degree.
                    Something to spend (more than likely) tax dollars on. Psssst... cancer, aids, whatever...

Comment

they could make diamonds with it....and fund research trips to mars

Comment

One thing that puzzles scientists is that the high temperature was achieved after the plasma’s ions should have been losing energy and cooling. Also, when the high temperature was achieved, the Z machine was releasing more energy than was originally put in, something that usually occurs only in nuclear reactions.

in other words..................... unstable ions next time or 2-3 more time=kaboom........
                        =my idea of classic JDM
                        to my car page

Comment

now if only they could make ZOMBIIIEESSSSSSSSSSS..... MMMMMMMMM BRAINSSSSSSSSS..... bwahah

Comment

i wonder how a machine can sustain that much heat....im sure it has some type of limit of holding tempratures before melting itself or blowing away.

doesnt know how it got that hot or the fact it kept growing ey...... i think this is the first step of judgement day/matrix. besides the noobs on this website, THE MACHINES ARE TAKING OVER!

Comment

Originally posted by SSDH22Accord
                              i wonder how a machine can sustain that much heat....im sure it has some type of limit of holding tempratures before melting itself or blowing away.

doesnt know how it got that hot or the fact it kept growing ey...... i think this is the first step of judgement day/matrix. besides the noobs on this website, THE MACHINES ARE TAKING OVER!
                              A better question would be.... how do they know it's that hot?
                              My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

Working...
                              X