Contemplating Buying An EX Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contemplating Buying An EX Sedan

So, my son is about to go off to college, and depending on a few factors, I'll probably be getting him a car. I was going to give him my S10, but too may what ifs. I'll keep the S10 on ice for now. Since he isn't the get behind the wheel and move out like I can type of person, I figure an old reliable early '90s accord would be a good car (inexpensive, easy on maintenance, reliable, if it gets damaged there are still parts all over for those things, somewhat sill very safe for an almost 30-year-old vehicle). Maybe even a later year Accord - what do you all think?
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

My 5 kids all grew up (oldest now 36) learning to drive and going to college on CBs until my youngest daughter totaled one in Oct. 2018 (broke her collarbone) and my wife realized they only have one airbag. I had a wagon for 8+ years which served well when two of them were at school together. One could even sleep somewhat flat in a wagon in a pinch. After the wreck, I switched to an Element; better safety rating and more capacity than a CB9. The smaller car and small/crowded dorm rooms forced them all to tend toward being minimalists.

Unless you have a good bed cover, an S10 leaves stuff exposed to the elements while moving between school and home (our trip was 12+ hours each way). Good thing would be limited space for passengers and the liabilities that might present.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

To just serve as reliable transport, I'd go with a newer Honda that has less than 100k miles on it. Especially if you care about safety, even my '02 RSX has passenger & side airbags and much better crumple zones, so I assume most Hondas of the era did. If he's not interested in modifying (it's probably best he doesn't blow his college money on that anyway), I'd consider anything like a mid-'00s Honda, or a similar Toyota or Volvo. Practical, safe, and reliable isn't too hard to find these days.
      Last edited by CyborgGT; 01-22-2021, 07:11 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I agree that a CB isn’t the best college car anymore. They’re reliable, but they’re also going on a third of a century old. If you want him to learn how to maintain and repair an old car, the CB is probably a great car to start with. But solely as reliable transportation, it’s lacking now.

Newer Honda or Toyota are indeed great options. 10-15 year old cars will be cheap. Drop $1000 or so into one to replace wear items and fix anything that has been neglected, and it’ll last through college and beyond.

I’m not sure what they sell for now, but the Element would actually be a great college car. Safe, spacious, reliable, and easy to maintain.

Anthony, I remember you showing me a picture of your son at a meet. Dude was a tyke. Now he’s going to college? I feel old...

Comment

So, the thing is, I took him out driving, and he has yet to unleash the ultimate driving skills he has in his genetic pool like his father, and father’s father, and... you get it. I'm sure he'll get there. The thing is, as a guy who has designed safety features for modern day vehicles, I agree there are much safer options than a CB7. Although safety is of the utmost importance, parts still are relatively cheap, I know my way around one pretty damn well, and I can replace all major wearable components in probably a weekend, and... well, nothing is set in stone yet, but I’m sure there are tons of options with my lil' ol' budget, I guess. One other thing, I still see clean CB7s popping up almost monthly with less than 100k on the odo, and this is what prompted my idea after I told myself, “No way he’s getting the S10 right now.” Furthermore, I won't be as pissed if he damages it in minor fender benders because of young drivers (I’m not talking about a major accident which hopefully he doesn’t ever experience). Again, though, you all make excellent points about modern cars and their upgraded safety features. Ahhh, the balance of being frugal for a first car vs. everything else, especially safety.

Hmmm… it’s sad I waited this late to do research for a college car. But, the good thing is, I’m damn good at the research, and I’ll narrow down some serious contenders in about a week. I still have a good idea of what’s going on in the automotive world, so once I dedicate my focus 100% to this, I know the outcome will be great.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Keep him out of trouble with the ladies... buy him a minivan.

Comment

I HATE minivans!!! Haha. Cops keep such an obviously close eye on me in my RSX, to the point where I actually moved out of a city because of it, while my friend would speed and do all sorts of crap right in front of cops in the 3rd gen Odyssey he used to have... and nothing. He even asked a cop once if they paid any attention to minivans, and the guy admitted he didn't.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Those Mazda 3s seem to be a legit buy. I was always a fan of the Protege. If I don't go Japanese, I'll go American. Maybe a clean Chevy Blazer will do with a 5.3 father-son swap in the foreseeable future. You know, something like this:

However, an Accord is still on the table. I have time.
                Last edited by Straight Success; 01-24-2021, 09:20 AM.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  Keep him out of trouble with the ladies... buy him a minivan.
                  Depends on how the back of it is set up.

Elements make a good college car, but prices seem to be climbing lately. Dealers are asking $10k+ for examples with even more than 100k miles. I paid $9100 for my son's in May; 2007 with 87k. MRT thread in my sig goes through service I've done since purchase. My 2007 is now closing on 198k (MRT also below), but still runs well and has been relatively trouble free. Just drove it to FL with my daughter on Friday and flew back yesterday morning.
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
                    Okay, now that is bad ass. Definitely worth overlooking any small reliability or safety shortcomings it might have, so long as you lower it on Torq Thrusts before handing him the keys.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post

Okay, now that is bad ass. Definitely worth overlooking any small reliability or safety shortcomings it might have, so long as you lower it on Torq Thrusts before handing him the keys.
                      Glad I learned how to MIG and TIG weld as well as getting an engineering degree. This way, I can weld in a 10-point roll cage with dash bar (still functional for daily driving), buy some Sparco racing seats with a matching 6-point racing harness, and that addresses the safety concerns. Then Fiske would be the wheels of choice; 3-piece forged modular with a step lip. Finally, a 5.3 LS series engine (L33) is probably one of the most reliable engines arguably, and then have it mated to a 4L65E. The better part is, when he's free, I can teach him a lot of the things I know. One of the best father-son bonding experiences; I know my dad helping with my H-swap was a memory that'll last forever holding higher value over a lot of other memories.

I'm a planner.

Buy a clean truck for $3k. Another $1k for maintenance. $2.5k for engine swap. Another $2k for the safety stuff. Hold off on the Fiske wheels for now, and he has a reliable car that can handle all weather conditions with cargo space, and for under $10k, ...

It's still early.

EDIT: The 5.3 would come after he builds up his experience behind the wheel.
                      Last edited by Straight Success; 01-25-2021, 12:18 AM.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

While browsing through Accords and other vehicles, I came across this 116K mile beauty. The owner states, “no problems.” Of course it'll get looked at thoroughly and a test drive. Oh, and it's listed at $4,900.

Not exactly a CB7, but...

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	53053942.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	4977706

Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	4977707
                          Last edited by Straight Success; 01-31-2021, 07:59 PM.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

G8's a future classic. I'm surprised they're so cheap. It's just too bad they can't be had with a manual transmission except for the top-spec GXP.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                            X