Any musicians here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any musicians here?

Does anyone play music? I know we used to have a lot of musicians among our numbers.

Those that have known me for a while know I play guitar and bass. Those that don't know... I play guitar and bass. I haven't played in a band in ages, though my old bandmates and I keep talking about getting something going once the pandemic is behind us.
    In the meantime, I've been playing around with recording. I picked up a cheap USB interface, and I record using Reaper (free to try indefinitely... though it's so useful that I intend to pay for it.) I got a copy of Ugritone's Kvlt Drums and some Midi packs to get some beats down. My goal is to get 3-4 lo-fi black metal sounding songs recorded, then get some lathe cut records made (so they sound extra crappy!)

It's not good, and my skills have deteriorated from lack of use, but it's pretty fun! I have nothing to share yet, but I'll post it up once I do. If we have other active musicians here, I'd love to hear what you've created!

Actually, I lied... I DO have something to share. Not my current stuff, but this is my old punk band from 6 years ago. One of our slower songs, but I always liked this one.

I guess YouTube embedding doesn't work... something to add to the list!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQDylWEM4fk
    Last edited by deev 2.0; 02-13-2021, 08:46 PM.

Comment

It works if you use the 'Insert Video' button instead. Only the link will show up in the post preview, but once it's posted it'll work in a weird two-click format:

I played alto sax in middle school, but that's about it. I do regret losing my ability to read and write music.
      Last edited by CyborgGT; 01-31-2021, 01:30 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I haven't played as much as I should. At least now I have everything mostly setup instead of just sitting in the cases. I am currently working through my backlog of magazines, papers and records that I have been collecting for years but was never in a permanent place long enough to get organized. Once that is done, I have room for a chair in the corner of my office by my guitar wall and I will start playing again. No telling how bad it will be since I wasn't that good at my best!
        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
          It works if you use the 'Insert Video' button instead. Only the link will show up in the post preview, but once it's posted it'll work in a weird two-click format:

I played alto sax in middle school, but that's about it. I do regret losing my ability to read and write music.
          Thanks! At least it kinda works...

Reading music was always a rough spot for me. I can do it, but I'm not fast. I got stressed out in band (and I played in our jazz band... state champs 3 out of 4 years.) I SUCK at writing, be it on paper or just slapping a song together. I'm good at taking someone else's skeleton of a song and fleshing it out, though. In my band posted there, our guitarist/singer wrote most of the bones of the song. Drummer did most of the lyrics. I came up with the basslines, occasional backup vocals, and suggestions for fills, harmonies, etc... We have one song (that has not been recorded properly, and it kills me) where the drummer and I work together to do a weird sounding double-bass thing (he only plays single bass), and it sounded rad.

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
          I haven't played as much as I should. At least now I have everything mostly setup instead of just sitting in the cases. I am currently working through my backlog of magazines, papers and records that I have been collecting for years but was never in a permanent place long enough to get organized. Once that is done, I have room for a chair in the corner of my office by my guitar wall and I will start playing again. No telling how bad it will be since I wasn't that good at my best!
          Having fun has nothing to do with being good Definitely set it up! My office/playroom/wife's craft room is a terrible mess. I need to clean up a ton of stuff. I don't enjoy playing my guitar while catching my cable on random boxes of crap... though I'm glad I have a nice place to play.
          I do need to get myself a proper desk chair that has removable arms. My current 20 year old chair has fixed arms, and it's impossible to play guitar comfortably in it.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            Having fun has nothing to do with being good Definitely set it up! My office/playroom/wife's craft room is a terrible mess. I need to clean up a ton of stuff. I don't enjoy playing my guitar while catching my cable on random boxes of crap... though I'm glad I have a nice place to play.
            I do need to get myself a proper desk chair that has removable arms. My current 20 year old chair has fixed arms, and it's impossible to play guitar comfortably in it.
            Haha, I guess that depends on whether my fun ruins life for my housemates! Seriously though, my daughter is really interested in music, so I need to play for her.

I have been debating about which type of chair would be most appropriate. Perhaps a padded light sitting chair with no arms...

First I have to clear this mountain of crap I probably didn't need to keep this long, but at this point it is just pure stubbornness!

Comment

There was a time where I could do a poor impersonation of a lightly skilled pop punk guitarist. I don't know if I could anymore.

That being said, I saw Machine Gun Kelly on SNL last week and I'm fairly confident I could at least play his particular songs at least as good as he did live.

Comment

MGK was pretty terrible, though I do appreciate the jump in genres. His band was great, though clearly just session musicians. I believe Travis Barker played on the album.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  MGK was pretty terrible, though I do appreciate the jump in genres. His band was great, though clearly just session musicians. I believe Travis Barker played on the album.
                  I just watch him the first time after AW's comment! Had never heard of him. The content of the songs wasn't bad, but the performances weren't very epic. Almost like he took the style of his influential bands when they were on their way downhill. Definitely picked up a lot of angsty era Blink 182 in there. They were much better in the Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch days. Still kind of angsty, but not like bitchy angsty. Then they just sort of outgrew themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post

I just watch him the first time after AW's comment! Had never heard of him. The content of the songs wasn't bad, but the performances weren't very epic. Almost like he took the style of his influential bands when they were on their way downhill. Definitely picked up a lot of angsty era Blink 182 in there. They were much better in the Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch days. Still kind of angsty, but not like bitchy angsty. Then they just sort of outgrew themselves.
                    Something something webs from all the spiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidurrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs.

I really, really still don't like the Self Titled album. When there was an entire song with Robert Smith doing lead vocals, I pretty much checked out. You could see the split in the band there. Tom wanted "i'msodeep" and Mark wanted to still be pop-punk Mark. My preference then was pop-punk Mark and well, still is.

Neighborhoods has a few decent songs, not Blink songs, but decent songs. I've been an Alkaline Trio fan since the early early 2000s so seeing Skiba in the band never bothered me. Some of the bridges on California and Califirornia Deluxe are peak pop-Mark era Blink.

The shame is I've seen Blink five times between 2001 and 2010 and they've only ever played two Dude Ranch songs, Dammit ending all five shows and then once they played Josie. What I'd give to see Apple Shampoo live. I did see them play both Carosuel and M+Ms once on the early show, so I guess I can count myself lucky there.

The sad thing is that Tom released a set of B-sides awhile back and one or two of them I could literally hear where Mark should have been on the chorus and just wasn't. Check out "Golden Showers in the Golden State"

Comment

So I actually been playing piano since I was 2, bass guitar since like grade 3, and drums since grade 9. Now I don't play any because I don't really have time lol. That was a LONG time ago.
                      Hoping to finally move out soon and I can finally get more privacy to start doodling around again.

I do produce a bit with analog drum machines such as the Roland TR-8S, mainly techno music. I tried using FL Studio or Ableton but it's really hardcore and I have no idea what I'm doing. On a analog physical machine a can do some fun stuff!

I worked in the music industry in Toronto here for (too long) mainly in the electronic music scene here as a promoter and events manager for the biggest companies in Canada so I definitely learned a lot quick. The club stuff I definitely got way too into, it was fun but it got me nowhere (also stopped me from doing car stuff). For anyone that has me on IG or FB you definitely can see what I mean lol.

I have some random techno beats I made but it's really nothing to show for.
                      Current:
                      2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT KBP

Past:
                      1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
                      1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

Instagram: @CB7Nub

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

Comment

I finished a black metal song yesterday. It's terrible, and I meant for it to be. Everything was basically one take. I'm kinda proud of it, though. I set the bar low, but I accomplished my goal!

Originally posted by CB7Nub View Post
                        So I actually been playing piano since I was 2, bass guitar since like grade 3, and drums since grade 9. Now I don't play any because I don't really have time lol. That was a LONG time ago.
                        Hoping to finally move out soon and I can finally get more privacy to start doodling around again.

I do produce a bit with analog drum machines such as the Roland TR-8S, mainly techno music. I tried using FL Studio or Ableton but it's really hardcore and I have no idea what I'm doing. On a analog physical machine a can do some fun stuff!

I worked in the music industry in Toronto here for (too long) mainly in the electronic music scene here as a promoter and events manager for the biggest companies in Canada so I definitely learned a lot quick. The club stuff I definitely got way too into, it was fun but it got me nowhere (also stopped me from doing car stuff). For anyone that has me on IG or FB you definitely can see what I mean lol.

I have some random techno beats I made but it's really nothing to show for.
                        I remember seeing some of your club stuff (and I think I got a number of "people you may know" recommendations from Facebook that were definitely your club people! )
                        That's pretty awesome about the electronic music, though. If you have anything online to share, I'd love to hear it! I made some minimalistic electronic music AGES ago... like... 20+ years ago... and uploaded it to MP3.com as a joke under the name "Six Chamber, All Standing". It was supposed to be crappy, but I had fun making it. Weirdly, I actually got some followers on there that thought my crap was good! I wouldn't mind getting into it again.

Comment

Working...
                        X