One Of My Lastest Projects...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Of My Lastest Projects...

So, prior to COVID, I was doing some excavating in the backyard. My neighbors thought I was crazy, but they're just neighbors. Most of them are really cool, and... for-get-about-it. Long story short, some neighbors being nosy with their nosy ways asked what I was doing. I explained, "I'm preparing to build a garden." During 2020 I didn't get around to it like I had planned, but this summer, I got it done all by myself. Check it out.

Finish Product:

CAD rendering:

Actual:

Build:

Purchased lumber from a Your-One-Stop-Shopping-Contactor-Supply-Needs-Big-Box Store

Time to pull out the big guns

We, I mean I, I'm workin'

Mock up

Time to protect the wood from the elements for a few years

Three coats of wood protecting juice spread over mutiple days for optimal results

Almost ready

We buildin'

Initial test fit and alignment

Finish line almost in sight

Testing and tuning

Filling it with compost

Fill soil for Spring 2022 (It was too late in the season to get a base planted, especially during the heat wave and storms. I tried)

Next year I'll pick up about twenty cubic feet of organic soil and plant away. This year, I actually have some lettuce, strawberries, and an orange tree (grown indoors). The fruit was started from seeds I collected from the organic fruit I bought and ate. I have many seeds for a lot of vegetables and herbs.

Hope you enjoyed.

Last edited by Straight Success; 08-17-2021, 09:52 AM.
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

This is awesome! Something I want to do in the future, but I have to own a house first.

Tried to make that first reality come true last year but the market was and is even more insane and just couldn’t justify what people were wanting for a house. Such as forgoing an inspection. Yep no thanks I’ll wait.

But I like your setup, did you cut the points in by hand?
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

That’s pretty awesome!
      I’ve been wanting to build something like that for a while. Seeing yours might be the motivation I need to do so!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
        This is awesome! Something I want to do in the future, but I have to own a house first.

Tried to make that first reality come true last year but the market was and is even more insane and just couldn’t justify what people were wanting for a house. Such as forgoing an inspection. Yep no thanks I’ll wait.

But I like your setup, did you cut the points in by hand?
        Thank you!

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. It's bonkers out there, and I found out what the people in power are planning to do in the near and distant future.

As far as the points, yes, I cut each one by hand.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        That’s pretty awesome!
        I’ve been wanting to build something like that for a while. Seeing yours might be the motivation I need to do so!
        Thank you!

Solid plan. This week was the first week I was able to actually eat some of my own homegrown lettuce. It was fresh to say the least. I say go for it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BD37D7F9-7971-4ADC-A290-0B54EA74B4B7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	34.5 KB ID:	4980125

Click image for larger version  Name:	2F0D916D-3353-41E8-ABCB-F3BDFEEE29B7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	36.3 KB ID:	4980126

If I'm able to motivate others, that's enough satisfaction for me to keep my spirit(s) meter leaning toward the joyous side.

Last edited by Straight Success; 08-16-2021, 02:29 PM.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

So what should I expect in the near future? Did I make a mistake not paying 220 a sqft with no inspection?
          ~Nick~
          FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
          MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
            So what should I expect in the near future? Did I make a mistake not paying 220 a sqft with no inspection?
            We'll talk soon. Give me a call whenever you have free time in the evening.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Nice. My parents built three of these this summer in their back yard, over what was a big dog pen when they first moved in... only, for a month later, to decide to take advantage of the housing market, sell the place this fall (its value doubled since they moved in), and retire a couple years early in a much cheaper state, haha. Damn, I need my own property so I can do stuff like this, though.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                Nice. My parents built three of these this summer in their back yard, over what was a big dog pen when they first moved in... only, for a month later, to decide to take advantage of the housing market, sell the place this fall (its value doubled since they moved in), and retire a couple years early in a much cheaper state, haha. Damn, I need my own property so I can do stuff like this, though.
                Same here. I'm in what you can call a Move Out type of situation position, sorta speak (some people will understand). Not as in moving, but as in Move Out, but I'm not Move Out.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I really like the box design you have there, very decorative yet simplistic. Growing your own food has always been, but will be becoming more, important. Do you or have you ever canned?

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Size9zombie View Post
                    I really like the box design you have there, very decorative yet simplistic. Growing your own food has always been, but will be becoming more, important. Do you or have you ever canned?
                    Thanks. I try to keep all of my designs simply complex if you understand. It's my background as a desi... never mind.

No, I have never canned, and I currently do not. Maybe one day I will if there is a need.
                    Last edited by Straight Success; 08-17-2021, 02:06 PM.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Ya, very cool. Recently I was looking how to make a bench for the deck. And great that we have internet now where you can get simple $50 bench project and do it yourself at home.

Comment

This is quality work! I appreciate this project, I hope that it produces plentiful harvests.
                        http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                          Ya, very cool. Recently I was looking how to make a bench for the deck. And great that we have internet now where you can get simple $50 bench project and do it yourself at home.
                          Thanks. I still think it's cool when I look out the office window on a daily basis. I wish I could've found a one size fits all project kit. It would've saved me on labor and cost. Then again, it wouldn't have the cool factor associated with it in my opinion. It's always a trade off. People know wood prices have damn near quadrupled since the pandemic. My initial budget was blown out of the water.

Originally posted by SSMAccord View Post
                          This is quality work! I appreciate this project, I hope that it produces plentiful harvests.
                          Thanks for seeing the quality in it. I try to bring a high level of quality in everything that I do; even with my books, my designs, and my engineering. I'm still working on my books to make them better everyday. As far as this project, it's a real good vibe to see others appreciating this. I have huge fruit, vegggie, and herb/spices plans for this thing. God willing, I'll have something decent to show you all. That's if... well, that's another story. TBC.
                          Last edited by Straight Success; 06-06-2022, 01:06 PM.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Now that it's cooling off up here in the NE, we have new action. A bunch of stuff that tried to blossom during our month long heat wave died early on. Now, some of the stuff I planted back in the middle of the summer has recently sprouted. Can those crops beat it before winter hits? We shall see. I'll post pictures.

The really good news is, the Valencia Orange Tree I started growing from a seed, which came out of one of several organic Valencia oranges I bought, is doing very well.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Did you anchor the whole assembly in the ground somehow? You can extend the growing season by tenting some fabric over it on nights when it is expected to frost. Clear plastic can be used to form a "greenhouse" over it.
                              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                              X