Made a Spaghetti Bridge today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made a Spaghetti Bridge today.

Worked on it from about 2pm to 10pm with a kid from my class for a competition on monday. We saw the design online while we were researching what other people had built, and liked the way the trusses were arranged, so we decided to copy some elements of it. The space trusses are the most noteable thing that we copied off of it.

Pictures.

The close-ups are to show the massive amount of hot glue that is holding this thing together. The instructions of the assignment explicitly stated that we could only use the materials supplied to build the bridge, which were 2 1lb boxes of thick spaghetti, 2 and a half hot glue sticks, and a glue gun. The glue gun is a very imprecise way to place glue, so a good amount of it was wasted, which is a shame, since we actually used more than 2.5 glue sticks in making this. Going back to the massive amounts of hot glue used, pretty much everything has a coating of glue on it. The bottom beams a 6 peices tall, but only 1 peice thick (the maximum bundle size was 9 peices) and the side sopports are 2 peices wide by 3 peices tall. Hopefully this thing holds alot of weight, because the amount of time I spent gluing it together is rediculous.

In the past 2 days Ive spent around 22 hours working on class projects. 12 hours modeling a lego robot in Solidworks for one of my classes, and 10 hours today doing this, besides class and sleep, Ive had about 1 hours of free time in the last 2 days. it sucks, but . . . Id rather do that than fail out of school.
    -Mark-
    CB7
    CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
    Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

wow, thats a lot of work in 8 hours. make some more lol.

Comment

Originally posted by sublime
      wow, thats a lot of work in 8 hours. make some more lol.

Making another one of these would be the death of me. The reason I got it done in 8 hours was because there was another kid working with me. Im kinda looking forward to breaking it under load on monday, since I know, with the way is built, it will either work amazingly, and fail amazingly, or work like crap, and just crumble into peices. Im hoping for the former.
      -Mark-
      CB7
      CD5

Comment

thats pretty sweet man

Comment

Cool bridge,

I'm hungry now.......
          1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

sweet! I love these types of projects:...not to hyjack ur thread...but check out my first mousetrap car...had a two speed diff. Max distance: 121ft:

DEVOTE

Comment

sweet, i miss doing things like that in school. you know youre in school when you have a bottle of Tide on your desk...

i want to take your bridge and throw it into a pot of boiling water, see what happens in a couple minutes.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by lokuputha
                sweet! I love these types of projects:...not to hyjack ur thread...but check out my first mousetrap car...had a two speed diff. Max distance: 121ft:

thats actually really cool. I wonder if theyll ever have us do something like that. I doubt it, since we barely ever do cool projects that involve applying what were learning, but, that sounds like fun. I just cahnt wait to see what this thing holds in terms of weight.
                -Mark-
                CB7
                CD5

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                  sweet, i miss doing things like that in school. you know youre in school when you have a bottle of Tide on your desk...

i want to take your bridge and throw it into a pot of boiling water, see what happens in a couple minutes.

you will have alot of melted glue in your water. haha.
                  -Mark-
                  CB7
                  CD5

Comment

nice bridge. saw people doing theese at competetion. fun stuff.
                    uh... if by overboosted you mean "right the fuck on" then, sure, it is.

Comment

Are you allowed to cover your entire bridge in hot glue, as to increase structural rigidity? Or can the glue only be used to connect the spaghetti pieces?
                      DEVOTE

Comment

That's a sweet project, nice MCR poster too

Comment

Originally posted by lokuputha
                          Are you allowed to cover your entire bridge in hot glue, as to increase structural rigidity? Or can the glue only be used to connect the spaghetti pieces?
                          whether we were allowed to or not, all the major structural supports are coated with a layer of hot glue. we only had a small amount of glue to use, and to be honest, my partner and I used more than the specified amount, but we barely used half a box of pasta, so theres no way for our teacher to know.

Originally posted by Granite CB7
                          That's a sweet project, nice MCR poster too
                          thanks.
                          -Mark-
                          CB7
                          CD5

Comment

awesome bridge, and awesome mousetrap car .. i saw we make a thread on school project builds.. lol.. i can post up my cardboard stool i made last semester.. i know next semester i'm working on a model metal down hill car(all dealing with suspension and aerodynamics).

dood post up the lego robot u made on solidworks.. solidworks owns me, i just started using it last year, but i've been getting into Cheetah 3d lately, cus i use my powerbook all the time.

hey what are u majoring that has u building spahgetti bridges? .. i'm in Industrial Design major. my next self project, if i ever get time is a new custom plastic bezel cluster for the cb7.
                            -:¦:-
                            Originally posted by wed3k
                            i rep cb7tuner all day, everyday. people say, "fuck y0 honda." and i say, "bitch, please."

Comment

Im a mechanical engineering major. The bridge is for a class called Statics, which deals with equilibrium mechanics. Ill post the picture of the robot on monday, since I dont have SolidWorks on my computer.
                              -Mark-
                              CB7
                              CD5

Comment

Working...
                              X