Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats up with the Warm, Wet, non-White Winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats up with the Warm, Wet, non-White Winter?

whats the deal with the warm winter this year? it was 50-60's (°C) up through thanksgiving, then it got very cold. i thought that was the end of the warm spell and winter arrived, but now its back to being warm? it feels like a rainy fall day today, and its the freaking middle of december! usually weve got a foot of snow outside, but nope, its 50° and nice and refreshing out.

fortunately this gives me at least a LITTLE more time to buy snow tires, as i wont have the money until a couple weeks from now haha.

forecast for newburgh NY. it appears its supposed to be (semi) warm all the way until christmas. whos heard of not having any snow ANY of december? the only snow weve had was a couple hours of SLIGHT sprinkling, where you wouldnt even notice it was snowflakes unless you saw them in the glow of a street light. and all it did was leave the cars and ground a bit wet

[img]http://www.****.com/pics/warmwinter.jpg[/img]

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

I'm not complaining?

Keeps the road salt off the ground. Keeps me rust free. If I can make it until Jan 3rd wtihout snow, then I can wash out and reoil and park my car all winter. Sure it'll be in the elements, but it won't be in salt. I remember though, in the past since I've had my car (5 christmas's) more than once washing my car Christmas eve. Hell, I remember one year being in shorts christmas eve.

Mike, why can't you use the wheels from your crashed EX...or PM's tires for now?

Comment

The weather is great i wouldn't change it....

i'm not a big fan of driving in snow so this is good for me. And i'm sure i can survive with an x-mas that isn't white.

Mike i'm sure we'll get a foot of snow the weekend of my meet so that either noone can make it or all of you will be stuck at my house lol
      "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
      - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
        I'm not complaining?

Keeps the road salt off the ground. Keeps me rust free. If I can make it until Jan 3rd wtihout snow, then I can wash out and reoil and park my car all winter. Sure it'll be in the elements, but it won't be in salt. I remember though, in the past since I've had my car (5 christmas's) more than once washing my car Christmas eve. Hell, I remember one year being in shorts christmas eve.

Mike, why can't you use the wheels from your crashed EX...or PM's tires for now?
        im very happy with the weather, as i still have to finish fixing PMs car before winter, so i could try to sell it. and i hate working in the cold/snow. so yay for that.

right now im on steelies and hubcaps, the rotas are in a stack next to the garage. the tires on these are fine (better than whats on the other cars) but they still suck. i have a set of 6spoke coupe alloys that im going to be using as winter wheels, i just need tires for them. i think larry can get me a good deal on a set (and put them on for me ) i just dont have the money yet, until after my birthday (friday) and christmas.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

it's a normal winter in GA. warm one day, cold the next. later.
          Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

The doomsayers would claim it to be an effect of global warming.

But alas, it isn't a looming catastrophe, but merely an effect of El Nino which went into effect this year.

If I had a whiteboard and an audience, I could explain what El Nino is in detail, but basically, there is a thermal shift in the Pacific. When the water is warmer on this side of the pond (El Nino) we tend to see more mild seasonal changes in the winter time, and more precipitation in the summer, although it doesn't really create more, it just moves stuff around.

The weather pattern shifts to the other side of the ocean.

Of course, doomsayers don't want to talk about that, because it is too complicated for most of them to grasp, and it doesn't build their case.

Geez, I am in a rather salty mood today...

Well, just kick back and enjoy the nice weather. El Nino usually goes in 3-5 year cycles.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I like driving in the snow, and don't mind the cold.

Hope you make it ok Mike.

I remember last year had very little snow
              Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Just another freezing cold day here... 74*F in Florida... you know how we do winters.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                  The doomsayers would claim it to be an effect of global warming.

But alas, it isn't a looming catastrophe, but merely an effect of El Nino which went into effect this year.

If I had a whiteboard and an audience, I could explain what El Nino is in detail, but basically, there is a thermal shift in the Pacific. When the water is warmer on this side of the pond (El Nino) we tend to see more mild seasonal changes in the winter time, and more precipitation in the summer, although it doesn't really create more, it just moves stuff around.

The weather pattern shifts to the other side of the ocean.

Of course, doomsayers don't want to talk about that, because it is too complicated for most of them to grasp, and it doesn't build their case.

Geez, I am in a rather salty mood today...

Well, just kick back and enjoy the nice weather. El Nino usually goes in 3-5 year cycles.
                  I dunno...I understand the El nino effect fairly well Scott, but I still feel like the weather we've been having lately has been more severe and extreme than any set of years I remember. I remember learning about El nino in around 6th grade, and I just don't recall the weather changing so rapidly.

I'm not saying this is directly related to global warming and/or any other man-made effect; I'm merely saying IMO the weather has been changing as a whole lately.

Comment

It was like 70 ish the other day in Dallas feels really nice. Usually it would be colder this time of year but it might hit later never know but yea its feeling good right noiw speakin of which might go fishin later on in the afternoon.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty
                      The weather is great i wouldn't change it....

i'm not a big fan of driving in snow so this is good for me. And i'm sure i can survive with an x-mas that isn't white.

Mike i'm sure we'll get a foot of snow the weekend of my meet so that either noone can make it or all of you will be stuck at my house lol
                      True, my truck needs winter tires but I'm too lazy to spend the money just to buy them, rather I'd pay for bills instead of BFGs.
                      Henry R
                      Koni/Neuspeed
                      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                      1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                      Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                      made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
                        I dunno...I understand the El nino effect fairly well Scott, but I still feel like the weather we've been having lately has been more severe and extreme than any set of years I remember. I remember learning about El nino in around 6th grade, and I just don't recall the weather changing so rapidly.

I'm not saying this is directly related to global warming and/or any other man-made effect; I'm merely saying IMO the weather has been changing as a whole lately.
                        Not really, it goes in a cyclical pattern, and some shifts are more severe than others. The severity of the change depends on the severity of a lot of factors, one of which is the rate of change of the temperature, and the magnitude of the temperature change. I don't know how severe this one is, I haven't read much about it, but I do know that it is in effect.

We aren't really experiencing anything that hasn't been encountered before, it just hasn't happened in recent history, so we as big picture viewing humans assume that it hasn't happened before. At the most, we typically measure history in 100 year increments because that is how long we are here. It isn't even a dot on the timeline.

As far as weather being more severe, that isn't entirely true either. The hurricane season was much more mild this year.

Why? One of the side effects of El Nino is the suppression of hurricane development.

Of course, this is stuff that I have learned from Meteoroligists, Climatologists, and Geologists who do this stuff for a living.

Really, if you look at the total big picture global climate environment, it isn't alarming.
                        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

im buried!

haha jk that was last year

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                            it's a normal winter in GA. warm one day, cold the next. later.

Hahahaha yeah you right the last week was like 40 during the day then it was like 75 yesterday and we had a tornado a couple of weeks ago!!!It seems to get worse every year

Car audio classifieds...
                            http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/f...ferrerid=12120
                            Youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/blackoutt334?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by blackoutt
                              Hahahaha yeah you right the last week was like 40 during the day then it was like 75 yesterday and we had a tornado a couple of weeks ago!!!It seems to get worse every year

word.... when i go to work in the morning one morning its 20 (i go to work at like 4am) then the next its in the 50s'... not really rain or anything...

SOLD!

Comment

Working...
                              X