Official Metal Thread: Discussion, suggestions, and analyzation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official Metal Thread: Discussion, suggestions, and analyzation

For fans of Death, Black, Speed, Thrash, etc. and even Hardcore.

I want to have a nice metal thread. I know there are a few floating around. But I want some good discussions, not just "I like this" and "these guys suck just because."
    You can mention Disturbed but I'll tell you why in detail I think they're terrible.
    Anyone can have an opinion and anyone can disagree with it. No need to get mad just because someone loves Papa Roach. Ok, that one may be tough.

I want to and need to expand my collection. And I'm sure others do to.
    I still use Soulseek if anyone wants any of my music. I have a lot and not just Metal.
    I don't think there are many real metalheads here, but we'll see...

So first topic, idk, let me browse my collection for something kinda obscure.............Akercocke. Anyone, anyone?
    Black/Death. Satanists. Just dark in general. These guys are great. Totally mature and detailed and not just straight forward which is good sometimes. Sometimes they'll throw in some string instuments or horns. Their drummer is good and the singer can do screeches, growls, and clean singing. I can only listen to their music at night. They wear suits on stage. Their last album is good but I recommend Choronzon first. The latest album has more influences and styles which is good IMO but less dark if that makes sense. They have a video for the song Leviathan on the album Choronzon. Here it is on YouTube.
    Actually this song is a better representation of what they do as a whole: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPWSiL_JyhA
    I can't compare these guys to anyone else I know. Just check them out.
    I really don't know any modern band that does the satanic thing as well as these guys. Not cheesy at all, which makes it that much real and darker.
    So, opinions or comments?
    Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
    -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
    MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

umg......... HI! my name is 90exaccord (Danny) why i posted here? well
    just playin lol,i use to like blink 182
    lisa is long gone, but sophie is here!

i got a good feeling about this one

im going to have to
    |_..._...____________======||_|_|__--]
    "(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''*|(@)(@)*****" (@)
    check out my mr thread
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=106541

Comment

Originally posted by 90exaccord
      umg......... HI! my name is 90exaccord (Danny) why i posted here? well
      just playin lol,i use to like blink 182
      Are you drunk?

I noticed your sig pic before. It made me laugh.

MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

lol i think we talked about metal in the car before... and i said as i lay dying

black sabbath of course...

my new fav band is chiodos you should check them out

and of course killswitch engage...

im trying to download some of the ones you mentioned ill tell u what i tink
        ]

Comment

yeah his sig is on my myspace. its so funny. and yeah dude were u drunk lol?
          ]

Comment

Originally posted by uslspct

i can see why you can only listen to them at night, I think it would be the same for me.

I'm not a huge metal fan, I just listen to what I like. Thanks for posting this, I really like the way they play. I cant really understand what they are saying, but thats ok, lol. I really like their music.

is soul seek like a torrent thing? I live in a college dorm and the college has a shit ton of restrictions on its internet. i cant use any form of p2p programs, which is fucking ***.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Soulseek is more like a cross between Napster and Direct Connect... a p2p where you can browse a single user's whole library. I tried to use it once, but I didn't know anyone... and I don't like going in uninvited!

I have to dig out some of my old stuff... I've been craving some good metal lately, and most of the new stuff just doesn't cut it for me.

Since my Volvo only has a tape deck, I've been listening to some old Fear Factory. I find it surprising when I talk to people that they seem to think Fear Factory was always that electronic crap that they are now. Back in the days of Soul of a New Machine, they were straight death metal, and quite good at it! That album still impresses me.

I've also been listening to Prong. Cleansing is another great album. A few duds, but overall quite good. I suppose they can be classified in the old NY metal/hardcore style, kinda like Biohazard, only not as rappy.

Comment

Soulseek is great. I still download all my albums from there. Get on it and you can get anything from me.

I'll check out Chiodos.

I'm not big on Killswitch Engage. A little soft for me. They are good live though.

And I really can't stand Black Sabbath or any other old originators. I understand what they did but doesn't mean they are still good. I didn't live when they were churnin out stuff so it's not like it has the nostalgic element either. And every band today is heavier, more technical, and in general better than what they did. It's just inevitable. Just like sports.

Ahh Fear Factory. I went through some old songs lately, some nu-metal and what not and I listened to them. Still a great listen. And you know who else from the same time and are still going albeit crappily, Sevendust. I liked them back then.

MY RIDE

Comment

i'm into alot of harcore, metal/core, tech metal, and grind bands my self..
                  some of my favs,
                  -between the buried and me- the number twelve looks like you- horse the band- as i lay dying- the chariot- norma jean-from a second story window-into the moat-my bitter end- heavy heavy low low...
                  there are alot more, i've been listening to this stuff for a very very long time. i'm picky with my music so, i like what i like and thats basically it. but check some of 'em out you wont be dissapointed..
                  THE RETURN IS COMIN SOON..
                  www.realisticdreamz.net

Comment

Ive always been a bit of a metal head, but recently I got really into a bunch of swedish bands like Soilwork and In Flames. I love melodic stuff.
                    To-Do List for Today
                    Be Awesome

Comment

I wouldn't consider Chiodos really metal at all. If anything they're much more prog. in the vein of Coheed, but with a little more metal ting, and less poppy hooks.

What would Bullet for my Valentine be considered?

Comment

children of bodom!!!
                        Upgrade your mind before you upgrade your car

"So. Cal OUTLAWZ "

Comment

chiodos isnt typical metal but then again you hear alot of metal bands using piano's and acoustic guitars throughout thier songs. but yeah they are a bit more like coheed.... which is another good band.
                          ]

Comment

Originally posted by uslspct
                            Soulseek is great. I still download all my albums from there. Get on it and you can get anything from me.

I'll check out Chiodos.

I'm not big on Killswitch Engage. A little soft for me. They are good live though.

And I really can't stand Black Sabbath or any other old originators. I understand what they did but doesn't mean they are still good. I didn't live when they were churnin out stuff so it's not like it has the nostalgic element either. And every band today is heavier, more technical, and in general better than what they did. It's just inevitable. Just like sports.

Ahh Fear Factory. I went through some old songs lately, some nu-metal and what not and I listened to them. Still a great listen. And you know who else from the same time and are still going albeit crappily, Sevendust. I liked them back then.
                            My friend's wife's cousin plays guitar for Sevendust My friend hung out with them, said they're pretty cool.
                            Worthless factoid, but interesting nonetheless!

I like Children of Bodom as well. Amorphis (another band from Finland) is one of my very favorites... they started as regular melodic death, went to doomy death, then into more progressive stuff. It's all good, but I'm not as into the new stuff as I was the old.

Cradle of Filth is amazing, as is Dissection (I can't believe Jon killed himself because he was "done with this life"... weirdo satanists... ) Swordmaster, a band with Jon Nödtveidt's brother as the guitarist, has an amazing first EP... but the following album was overproduced and lifeless.

Abigor is a simply amazing band. Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom) is a work of art. Took me a while to really appreciate it, but it's soothing to me now. Very violent pagan stuff. They basically say in their CD liner notes that their music is a weapon, and beauty is not intended to be found in it. Sorry guys, but that's goofy... and I like the music

Elysian Fields (not the NY rock band, but the Greek black metal band) is great too. Adelain is the album. My CD is kinda scratched, and I need to fix it! I can't find ANYTHING about this band on the internet... which means I'll never find that CD again!

Enchantment: Dance the Marble Naked... I just picked this up on CD a few months ago. I have it on tape (twice, actually... accidentally got the tape again on ebay when I thought it was the CD!) It's pretty heavy doom type stuff... singer sounds like Cookie Monster... but once you get used to it, it's quite good.

Cynic: Focus. Amazing work. The most mind-blowingly technical metal ever, and they still make it sound good. Lots of jazz influence. I met them at Full Circle Records in Blackwood NJ (where I bought all my good stuff, there and Rock N Roll + on South Street) They were all excited about the great jazz selection Full Circle had!

Most of the metal I really like comes from 1993-1997. After that, nu-metal started getting big, black metal got trendy (european gangsta rap, basically... not in the sound, but in the whole ideal), and every band was either an inferior clone of a previously good band or a hardcore-turned-metal hybrid POS. Many of the good bands started releasing crap as well.

IMO, 93-97 was the golden age. It was new, fresh, and passionate back then... yet more refined than the earlier stuff. Before 93, thrash is where it was at. After 93, death/black. Then I got into ska, and I'm just now noticing a few decent bands (Trivium's first album was decent... though I'm still not a huge fan of the style... which seems to be THE style right now)

Comment

BtheB&M are really good. More people need to hear them. Bunch of skinny dorky looking guys. Excellent musicians which include some slower parts for a good contrast.

I like B for Valentine. Anything that's catchy I can't resist. Even if it's not really heavy or slightly ***. Dragonforce anyone? I dare you to see them live.

Children of Bodom I love but they're another band that just needs to stop. I find all of their albums to sound the same, which in their case is good. Except their last album which was just bad.

Same with Cradle of Filth. I just watched their newest video on HB tonight. Absolutely terrible. But Her Ghost in the Fog, Smoke of Her Burning, Queen of Winter. Awesome songs. And most people think they're just for the mall goths to listen to. They've made some great songs, I promise! Not just all hype.

Which brings me to the appearance of some bands. I don't care how silly they look or really how the vocals sound. When I first started listening to the really heavy stuff I was like, "what the hell, how can I get past this guy screaming his guts out?" But now I can hear the music and appreciate what they can do. And so what if they have spikes on their forearms and corpse paint on. It's just more fun!

Also, it really is amazing how a band can put out something really good that is still enjoyable today and yet go on to make utter crap. Do they really not see it as crap? They always talk about changing with the times or something to that effect. They just need to stop and realize they had their time when they were young and full of ideas and energy. Now just stop and get another job.

I love the melodic stuff. And when they use violins or acoustic stuff like older In Flames albums. There's a song on Lunar Strain called Everlost-Part II. Not metal at all, with an angelic female voice that gives me the chills especially if I listen to it in my car when it's snowing out.

MY RIDE

Comment

Working...
                              X