Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone care to offer advice on my resume?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone care to offer advice on my resume?

I know it can probably use some work... but I've modified it, tweaked it, and played with it so much that I just can't see what needs to be done!

You guys know me... and you know that I have a hard time expressing myself briefly. Resumes are torture!

So, if anyone cares to check this out, let me know. I'm shooting for retail management (applying at Bed Bath & Beyond, actually... awesome company.)

http://www.cb7tuner.com/resume.doc

Any advice is appreciated!

well idk about content BUTTT

first thing i noticed is the complete inconsistency in the cell divider lines :X

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Yeah, I manhandled a Word template to make it do what I wanted.

The app is online, though, and I'm copying and pasting my resume info... so it's just the content that matters. Otherwise, they're printed, and the cell spacing doesn't show in print. But yeah, that bugs me as well.

Comment

You spelled your name wrong. Michael Dever is not the same as deevergote.
        Gary A.K.A. Carter
        [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

It's not pronounced Deever either (actually Dever, like Never...)

Comment

Mike Deever is much cooler sounding than Mike Dever.
            Gary A.K.A. Carter
            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

If someone will pay me what I'm asking... I'll be called whatever the heck they want to call me! (I'm actually not asking much... just enough to cover my expenses comfortably to get me through grad school!)

Comment

Bishes! Help me out here!

I kno we gotz sum smartz peeps on dis syte yo sum1 tel me wuts wron wit my ree-soom so i can gets a jobberz n pay for dis syte n shyte!

Comment

Bed, Bath & Beyond....

So its pronounced Deever or Dever?

I dont know you too peronsally, but it looks ok i guess. Id hire you....

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                  Originally posted by Jarrett
                  Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

It is short which is good. Keep it as short as possible. HR people look at truckloads of resumes and they have been know to just toss them if they are too long without even looking at them.
                    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                      It is short which is good. Keep it as short as possible. HR people look at truckloads of resumes and they have been know to just toss them if they are too long without even looking at them.
                      Yeah, I was just discussing length with mchaley. I've always heard that 1 page is ideal. If someone can't fly through the resume in a few seconds (easy to read, to the point, 1 page) then they'll just pass it by. If I were in such a position, I would do that.

My major concern is the wording. Is it awkward, or am I just being anal? Also, seeing as I'm gunning for a retail management position (department manager, store manager, or district manager... though I think I'll have to move up to that), would my non-management experience listed there be a hindrance? Is there any better way to re-word anything to make me seem better suited to management? I DO have retail management experience, but that was back in 1999-2000... at a store that has since closed. I've held a few jobs since then!

Comment

From what my cousin said(and i copied his format), your missing an objective or an introduction of yourself. My format has my intro my eduction(explaining me and my objective, well srot of), and then i have my experience. After that if you dont fill up he page or whatever add hobbies and interests(like your activities).

But if your applying online then i dosent mater i guess, but i recommend going in all prepared and good looking and ask to speak to a human recourse manager so you can leave an impression so you can stand out.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

Yeah, definitely. I hope to include a cover letter that gives more than just an outline. That's probably what you're referring to (though some resume formats include a paragraph at the top for that sort of thing...)

My major issue now is that I'm applying to a corporation. I don't even know who will see this, so I have no idea who to make the impression on! I'll probably go to a store later this week and see who I can contact. It's not poor taste to contact someone you sent a resume to within a few days to ensure they received it, and to express a genuine interest.

Comment

Who/what job are you applying for?

- Rob -
                            92 Auto Sedan - "Rustoration"
                            85 Toyota 4Runner
                            1977 Kawasaki KZ1000/ZX6/10R Hybrid
                            2008 HD 1200N
                            2009 HD 883N

Comment

Bed, Bath & Beyond....

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                              Originally posted by Jarrett
                              Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Working...
                              X