Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some great older games that never quite made it big?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are some great older games that never quite made it big?

I just fired up the old NES emulator, and started up a game I used to love... and completely forgot about: The Guardian Legend.

I forgot how awesome this game was! It mixes Zelda-style action/RPG elements (grid-based maze, multiple secondary weapons that can be upgraded), with vertical scrolling shoot-em-up stuff (where the weapons you collect can continue to be used.)

The controls are simple and responsive. The challenge level is fair... enough to keep it interesting, but not frustrating like many older games.

This is a game that, even when new, didn't get much attention. I loved it as a kid, and I'm still enjoying it 25 years later!

What older games do you guys remember being incredible, without getting a whole lot of mainstream attention?
    Everyone knows the Marios, the Zeldas, the Sonics, the Street Fighters, the Maddens... I want to hear about the games nobody talks about!

Let's try to keep it to "classic" games. I realize that there's quite an age difference here... so let's say anything that's at least a decade old (in console terms, that means nothing newer than PS2 or the original Xbox.)

BattleTanx Global Assault for the N64. If they were able to transfer this on the XBOX 360 and with online multi-player I would be in my room all day playing this. I played this so often as a kid. And even when the N64 was phased out, in our small town at the time the N64 was still king and me and m friends would all play this split screen. It had a really cheesy plot story on the single player but was still interesting. It honestly felt like the first Halo. When I get home I think I might just find the old N64 and play this tonight, I have no dates so why not.

Last edited by XCRN; 10-10-2014, 02:38 PM.
    Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Super double dragon for snes

Best music score
      Best graphics
      Best co op

Comment

Road Rash 64

Comment

Very nice. Keep em coming! This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for!

Lufia and the Fortress of Doom is one of my favorite SNES games. It's not totally unknown, but it's pretty well overshadowed by other RPGs, such as the Final Fantasy series. I feel that it had fantastic character development for its time.

Comment

I'm part of a cult following for the Shenmue series

Very underrated and unknown by most but it's one of my all time favorite RPG games that sega offered.

I loved the first one again for the music score and character development. It was away ahead of its time and they should FINISH THE DAMN 3RD ONE ALREADY!!

Comment

I never played any of those games. I'll have to give it a shot! RPGs are my favorite. Especially older style RPGs. The new 3D cinematic stuff is just too much for me. I feel like I'm watching more than I'm playing!

Comment

Though a popular franchise, this particular game is not really cited to often. Castlevania for the N64. It was a 3D third person plat former that I could never get past a certain point when I was a kid. Despite my failures, it was a fun game and definitely different than the other Castlevania games.

Comment

I played that one on an emulator once. It ran poorly, so I didn't get a chance to really experience it. I liked the concept, though! Didn't they continue with that 3D idea on the Playstation as well?

Comment

As far as I know they had one more game after that, something of darkness.

Comment

Adventures of lolo
                      Bionic comando

Links to my rides :
                      1992 Accord EX*
                      1990 Accord EX
                      1991 Accord SE (4th)
                      1991 Accord SE (3rd)
                      1991 Accord SE (2ND)
                      1991 Accord SE

Comment

Tokyo Xtreme Racer for the Dreamcast..way better than Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Zero for the PS2.. I had a badass CRX, sometimes I regret selling the DC and a CDR spindle full of backups for 40 bucks a few years ago

Comment

Some games in here I have played, and I am a casual gamer, so Im not so sure I would say they are obscure.

My vote goes to the Last Blade series for NeoGeo.

Great series.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                            Tokyo Xtreme Racer for the Dreamcast..way better than Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Zero for the PS2.. I had a badass CRX, sometimes I regret selling the DC and a CDR spindle full of backups for 40 bucks a few years ago
                            you and me are best friends! One of my all time fav racing games.

the best part is that even though they didnt have the license to name the cars, they still named them by their chassis codes which really helped my car lingo at the time.

plus knowing the layout of C1 and the Wangan helped me in Wangan Midnight the arcade

Comment

Diddy King Racing. It never blew up like the Mario kart series. But was just as fun as Mario kart 64.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                              01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                              93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                              93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Working...
                              X