Honda Ridgeline to take two-year dirt nap before resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda Ridgeline to take two-year dirt nap before resurrection

Three years ago, Honda said there would be no new-generation Honda Ridgeline coming in 2011. In late 2011, when there was still no word on a replacement for the little truck that's been carrying on pretty much the same since 2006, within the space of a month both Honda's US truck planner and the CEO of American Honda said the Ridgeline would continue and that it was an integral part of the lineup.

But that doesn't mean it can't take a two-year timeout. A report in Ward's Auto says that the Lincoln, AL plant that builds the Ridgeline will cease its production in September, 2014 and a new one won't arrive until 2016. That's a walk-back from when the plan was to have the current truck run until a week before the next-generation truck went into production. Even so, Honda still says the Ridgeline isn't going away forever, a company spokesman telling Ward's, "Ridgeline continues to be an important part of our lineup."

2016 is a long way away, though, and we all know how quickly a product line put into a coma can end up suffering fatal consequences. Even though we keep talking about the Ridgeline, perhaps what Honda is actually saying is that the small pickup market is important to them, and they're working on a way to take better advantage of it than the Ridgeline was doing. We'll find out one way or the other in three years.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/14/h...-resurrection/
    FRIENDS
    DONT LET
    FRIENDS
    ROLL ON
    ROTA'S

still waiting for honda to make a compact pick-up with a 4cyl.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
    01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
    93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
    93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Would *love* to see this, too.

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post

Comment

Same here, that would be awesome.

Comment

Compact trucks will never happen again unfortunately. A small-ish 4x4 pickup from Honda with a 2.4 or 3.0/3.2 would be an awesome offering. Right in the market where the Frontier, Colorado/Canyon and Ranger are/were.

However, given how few of said trucks I see on the road, there is not much market for it anymore.

If Honda took the Ridgeline, and literally shrunk it down into an extended cab regular box based perhaps on CRV components and drivetrain, they would have a winner.

Comment

me too. I would be more likely to buy one of those.
            1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
            1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
            1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
            1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
              Compact trucks will never happen again unfortunately. A small-ish 4x4 pickup from Honda with a 2.4 or 3.0/3.2 would be an awesome offering. Right in the market where the Frontier, Colorado/Canyon and Ranger are/were.

However, given how few of said trucks I see on the road, there is not much market for it anymore.
              i totally agree. the thing about the ridgeline was that it really wasnt considered a truck. i kind of see it as a big subaru brat, VW rabbit "truck" or a modern day el camino. maybe a srunken version of an avalanche but not an actual truck

If Honda took the Ridgeline, and literally shrunk it down into an extended cab regular box based perhaps on CRV components and drivetrain, they would have a winner.
              i think that if honda went this route, it may have a better success than the original ridgeline
              FRIENDS
              DONT LET
              FRIENDS
              ROLL ON
              ROTA'S

Comment

There will always be a demand for a inexpensive small pickup but with mandated govt crap, tarriffs and car manufacturer's loaded content, they are priced almost as much as a full size. At the price point most will buy a full size. Price them stripped at $12k and they will fly off the lots.

Honda rigdeline shows how out of touch honda is, they built an ugly $33k unibody car with a bed. They should of done their original suv model routine, rebadge someones else product for the 1st generation.

The 2 year hiatus must be the time required to sell off the remaining 2014 models.
                Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

The truck bed, as they call it, is worthless on the Ridgeline. A real truck isn't a unibody... It's as much a truck as an H2 is a Humvee(HMMWV).

Comment

Maybe up there you don't see many but here, there are more mid and small size trucks than full size. They are in great demand and the used smaller trucks sell for about the same as the used full size, for the same years.
                    Last edited by dwsaccord; 07-26-2013, 01:36 PM.
                    My OLD Members Ride Thread

Comment

Honestly, I'd hate to see the unibody go, I hope to see all small trucks and maybe someday a full size half-ton truck. Unless you need a 3/4 ton or bigger to be your semi and handle daily abuse and torture and tow over 12000 pounds, a full frame isnt needed. In terms of economy, saftey, and resistance to torsion, a unibody would be superior. People are just afraid of a unibody truck, just like 20 years ago, stilll somepeople wouldnt buy a full size sedan without a full frame.

I think something derived from like an accord platform or CRV would br great light enough for a capable 4, yet you can drop a V6 in and get something downright impressive.

Comment

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                        01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                        93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                        93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

[Quoted=dwsaccord;3157701]Maybe up there you don't see many but here, there are more mid and small size trucks than full size. They are in great demand and the used smaller trucks sell for about the same as the used full size, for the same years.[/QUOTE]

we live in Alberta it's all about diesel trucks And full size trucks! you see almost as many trucks as you do cars.

Comment

Originally posted by STOCKa6 View Post
                            Honestly, I'd hate to see the unibody go, I hope to see all small trucks and maybe someday a full size half-ton truck. Unless you need a 3/4 ton or bigger to be your semi and handle daily abuse and torture and tow over 12000 pounds, a full frame isnt needed. In terms of economy, saftey, and resistance to torsion, a unibody would be superior. People are just afraid of a unibody truck, just like 20 years ago, stilll somepeople wouldnt buy a full size sedan without a full frame.

I think something derived from like an accord platform or CRV would br great light enough for a capable 4, yet you can drop a V6 in and get something downright impressive.
                            Unibody trucks have been made before and stopped because they don't work. Unless you never use your truck as a truck. The ridgeline also doesn't work as a truck. Load one up and watch the sides buckle just like a normal car does.

Trucks used as trucks also get damaged frequently. Unibody would make repairs prohibitively expensive compared to a separate bed.
                            Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

The new one needs to be v8 rwd
                              MR:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=150506

CHAMPCOUPE IS BACK !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X