Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cp[mike] : 1992 Toyota Pickup SR5 (4x4 V6)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have one shit box of a truck...

I want it, very bad.

Its clean as hell, I love the color and the wheels!

^^^^^
    Click picture for MRT

Sparkin CB7

Comment

welp, today this truck was sold. it is still in my driveway, but the new owner paid in full, and it should be picked up relatively soon. itll be a sad day when it leaves, but its been a long bittersweet experience owning this toyota and quite frankly I will be a little relieved when it does.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
        welp, today this truck was sold. it is still in my driveway, but the new owner paid in full, and it should be picked up relatively soon. itll be a sad day when it leaves, but its been a long bittersweet experience owning this toyota and quite frankly I will be a little relieved when it does.
        Why did you sell it? Mine is starting to act up too, leaking rear axle seal, bad front wheel bearing, etc.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
        'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
        Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

It always needed work, and now that everything has been replaced and it drives fine, the stupid thing is rusting apart. It doesn't fit my purposes in terms of being comfortable and able to lock my belongings in the back for a trip. It had been broken into recently, and while it overall was useful to have a truck on occasion, it never quite struck me as being the right solution for me as being a comfy daily. Plus it was bad on gas. It was fun blasting around in the woods exploring abandoned buildings, but the times that it truly was uniquely useful were pretty few. So call me a sellout, but I bought a '99 CRV. Not much faster - but more comfortable on the daily, and still useful as I can fit passenger(s) plus cargo, and still have the roof. And it's a honda - replacement parts are ubiquitous, and the B20 is incredibly familiar under the hood, all my tools and extra hardware fit it.

Current cars:

Comment

Weak. That is all. Also, why am I not the new owner?

Comment

I heard toyotas are known for frame rust, and snapping in half. lol

anyhow, Im planning on getting the newest gen version of your old school one soon.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
              01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
              93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
              93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
                I heard toyotas are known for frame rust, and snapping in half. lol

anyhow, Im planning on getting the newest gen version of your old school one soon.
                Not that generation.

The 84-88 models had infamous bed rust problems due to a design flaw. They rusted 2-3 years after purchase.

The 89-95 models had rust, but about as bad as any other truck of the era. The real problem areas were the back leaf mounts. My 93 had been in the Northeast for approximately 11 years when I bought it, and while it had some rust on the body, the frame was decently solid. I did have to look at a bunch of trucks before I found mine that weren't super rusty underneath.

The 95.5-04 models had the infamous Dana produced frames that had the severe rust issues. The 95.5-00 models were repurchased by Toyota at 150% of KBB retail and the 01-04 models received new frames.

The 05-14 models are starting to see some frame issues on the 05-06 models in the front of the frame by the driver's side catalytic converter. There have been a few people who have managed to get their frames replaced by the dealer, but others have been rejected. The part number of the frame itself was changed in 2009 (or 2008, I honestly forget), so whether or not that changes how the frames hold up to the elements is up for debate. I've read about people with 2010 models that are complaining about surface rust being much more prevalent than they had anticipated.

That being said, my 2013 has been covered in Fluid Film once already for last winter. I am treating it again this weekend if the weather cooperates for another season. My treatment from last year is holding up well and I figure this will just be a refresher in the trouble areas. I am hoping that if there is a more widespread frame rust issue with the 2nd generation trucks, any recall/TSB/etc will have gone into effect prior to any rust developing on my truck.

Comment

^ best get it Ziebarted.

http://www.ziebart.com
                  Originally posted by deevergote
                  These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
                    ^ best get it Ziebarted.

http://www.ziebart.com
                    I've read a lot into it and while I've seen a lot of good, it appears to be an annoying maintenance item. I'd rather spray the frame myself. I've had excellent results thusfar. My frame is still wet from last year's application. I did the doors, bottom of the fenders, rockers and tailgate.

Comment

i actually started spraying this frame with Fluid Film as well. the lanolin wax is a little funky smelling but it leaves a wet film that is even tough to wipe off with a clean rag.

anyway, at 7pm on 11/14, the truck drove away in the hands of the new owner. hope it treats her well...

Current cars:

Comment

i actually started spraying this frame with Fluid Film as well. the lanolin wax is a little funky smelling but it leaves a wet film that is even tough to wipe off with a clean rag.

anyway, at 7pm on 11/14, the truck drove away in the hands of the new owner. hope it treats her well...
                        Think it will be exported, or is the new owner going to actually use it? Mine is probably somewhere in Central/South America by now.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                          Think it will be exported, or is the new owner going to actually use it? Mine is probably somewhere in Central/South America by now.
                          She's a 70 year old woman, very excited to buy herself a winter vehicle to use, instead of her falling apart minivan that is always in the shop. She is a novice standard transmission driver but she had no problem leaving with it, and even mentioned that she likes to do her own minor repairs so she was very happy that I included the repair manual. I think this will actually get some valued use! at least for a while, haha.

Current cars:

Comment

She's a 70 year old woman, very excited to buy herself a winter vehicle to use, instead of her falling apart minivan that is always in the shop. She is a novice standard transmission driver but she had no problem leaving with it, and even mentioned that she likes to do her own minor repairs so she was very happy that I included the repair manual. I think this will actually get some valued use! at least for a while, haha.
                            That's awesome. That's exactly the type of person I wanted to sell mine too. Unfortunately, not so much though in reality. Congrats on the sale.

Comment

Are these types of trucks commonly exported? OP-Congrats on the sale Mike! You put in a ton of work on that truck + you've been wrenching for quite awhile now. Ever get tired of it?

Comment

Been reading up on FluidFilm, seems like an excellent product, there is a guy up the street from me who applies it professionally. He puts the car up on a lift and sprays it into every little nook and cranny, sprays up into the weep holes on the doors too. Going to have him do my truck, the gf's Acura, and possibly my Volvo.
                                1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Working...
                                X