FoamyPirate : 1987 Chevy Silverado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FoamyPirate : 1987 Chevy Silverado

Just picked this beauty up about 2 weeks ago. She's an 1987 Chevy Silverado R10 (equivalent to the C10 of 73'-86'). This speed demon has a TBI 305 w/ 700R4 and 3.08s out back. Yes, she's a dog, but she'll tow anything I need to tow. As you can see below, the paint was badly neglected. The drivers side of the hood is after 30 minutes of washing. The hood, top of the cab, and tool box were all covered in that dirt. She's pretty straight and has virtually no rust (barring minor surface rust on the tailgate and the drivers door where a deer ran into it).

Mods:

Engine
    Stock 305 (5.0L) 170 HP, 260 TQ
    4 Speed Automatic Overdrive (700R4)
    Power Steering and A/C (broken)
    3.08 rear end
    Dual 16gal tanks

Exterior
    Black/Gray with sweet striping
    LWB
    Chrome Push Bar
    Sweet rusty toolbox

Interior
    Interesting aftermarket seats w/ center console.
    Sunpro tach on the dash
    Deluxe Instrument Cluster w/ Water Temperature, Oil Pressure, Volts, Quartz Clock
    Black carpet

Suspension/Wheels
    Stock suspension
    Stock Rallies
    31's in the rear, 235/75/15s in front

Future Mods
    Frame-off resto-mod.
    Factory rims from a 2002 Chevy 2500HD
    New paint job (part of the frame-off)
    6.0L LQ4 w/ undetermined transmission.
    1-ton springs in the front to level it out.
    Last edited by foamypirate; 04-12-2010, 11:22 AM.
    Originally posted by sweet91accord
    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post

4" lift
    What size tires? Or have you not got around to that part yet lol.
    Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
    Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
    Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
    Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Haven't quite decided yet.
      if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Brutal looking truck. Reminds me of my old 1990 ranger. That thing was down for ANYTHING. Some cut me off in traffic, i'd follow them and love tap their car when the walked away from it

Wrong, I know, but I still think it's funny. Old trucks are the best... And they have that great, old truck smell. Kinda like the junkyard smell. Just can't get enough of that.
        "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
        "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
        Disregard females, acquire currency
        BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

AUSTIN TX- FTMFW!!!! Lake Travis anyone?

Oh yeah- you are back in TX of COURSE you bought a truck!
          WAGONS

94 ce1- f22b DOHC auto swap, ROH 11.1" 99 cl brakes, rear disk swap, dual plenums, aem cai, tein ss, OEM stanley one piecers, OEM stanley yellow fogs, OEM 96 Oddy roof rack, Yakima basketcase, some wheels, some tires.... etc.

Comment

That grill guard rocks! You got a tool box too? damn. I am envying all your Silverado stuff too.

Well you know where to send all your TBI stuff when your done with it haha.
            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
              That grill guard rocks! You got a tool box too? damn. I am envying all your Silverado stuff too.

Well you know where to send all your TBI stuff when your done with it haha.
              I've got a box with your name on it!

It's nice having all of the amenities. Both windows still work, though the passenger side is very sluggish. Power locks sort-of work, as in the passenger switch will lock, but not unlock, and the driver's switch does nothing, haha.

Right now, I'm working on getting the passenger side tank working. When I got the truck, the switch was bad, replaced that and it ran like crap on that tank, so I drained the fuel and put fresh fuel in, still runs like crap. I'm assuming the pump isn't putting out full pressure, but I need to get a gauge on it and check it out.

Comment

Well, I decided to knix the lift, I'll just put the biggest tires I can fit at the current ride height. Apparently they don't make the lift kits for 2wd trucks of this generation anymore, and while the lift would look good, it really doesn't fit into the direction I want to go with the truck. It will still be able to haul, and I'm not going to lower it, but it will be more of a street truck than an off-roader.

Comment

looks like a good project truck,

this is my old 85 silverado close to the same color as yours I had 6inch lift with 33's
                  needing a new project got rid of bagged S10 going back to Honda's

Comment

Well, got some good work done on the truck today. I got the blower motor replaced, so I can at least have some fresh-air blowing in with the windows closed. Just need to get the A/C recharged or converted to R134a and I should have some nice cool air. Also got the oil pressure switch replaced so that my oil pressure gauge reads actual pressure instead of being pegged at 60+ all the time. That also took care of the only obvious oil leak (the crimp on the sender was coming loose). Cleaned out under the cowl and checked the washer fluid system, since it hasn't been working (nozzles are plugged but all hoses are clear). Last, but not least, I got the thermostat replaced. Something tells me that the PO had a low temp thermostat in it, as the gauge barely moved from 100. Now it's up to around 190 or so, picked up a good amount of power, and I'm sure fuel mileage, since the computer won't be stuck in closed loop anymore. My torque converter is also actually locking up now, as well. I assume the computer wasn't engaging it until warm, and since it never warmed up, it never engaged.

I'm also toying with the idea of replacing the front 1/2 ton springs with 1 ton springs to get the front mostly level with the rear of the truck. Next on the list is getting the passenger side tank working properly. The truck will run from it, but not well, and usually will die if trying to accelerate the slightest bit.

Comment

Your hood is half trendy!

Comment

HOORRRAHH for project Chevy's!!!!

my uncle's truck i've been working on....1973....
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Man... you guys are making me want to get a truck! I'd love an old Suburban...

Comment

these old chevy's are awesome. i work as a landscaper and the four trucks we have are as follows: 1978, 1 ton, 8ft dump - 350ci with the heavy duty 4 spd (w/granny).... a 1985(?), 1 ton, 10ft stake body - 350ci with the heavy duty 4 spd (w/granny)... and a 1985(?), 1 ton, 10ft utility body, 454ci with a turbo 350 three speed auto... and a 1983(?), 1 ton, single rear wheel 4x4, 8ft box, 8ft plow, sander- 350ci auto (not sure which one).....

i have my eyes on buying a military chevy pickup this summer.....
                            Originally posted by deevergote
                            These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              Man... you guys are making me want to get a truck! I'd love an old Suburban...
                              Do it! They made this body-style of Suburban until 1991. You could probably find one for cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X