Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FoamyPirate : 1984 Chevrolet Silverado

Yep...I bought another one!

While my truck is down for restoration, this will be my beater/work truck. I don't have it home yet (the 4.1L straight six has a blown headgasket or a cracked head and is overheating). I'll be flat-bedding it home tomorrow most likely.

Got it for $700, which is a damn good deal around here. People think their hacked/modified/rust bucket truck is a "classic maaaan!" and want $5k for a POS, so this was a breath of fresh air.

Plans are to clean it up, swap the crappy bench for a 40/20/40 split seat I have, buff the paint to get some shine back, replace the rear bumper, swap in a V8 (I have a 305 in the garage) or fix the straight six, and drive the bitch.

It's got an automatic trans (TH350) and not sure on the rear gears.

I'll get more pictures tomorrow, but here is one from the craigslist ad:

Engine
    Stock (broken) - 4.1L Straight Six w/ 2bbl carb

Transmission
    Stock - TH350

Suspension
    Stock - Leafsprings ftmfw!

Brakes
    Stock

Wheels and Tires
    Wheels - Cragar Nomad II's
    Tires - Michelin LTX MS2 235/75/R15

Exterior
    Stock

Interior
    New used carpet
    Aftermarket 40/20/40 bench seat

Lighting
    Stock
    Last edited by foamypirate; 07-10-2012, 03:11 PM.
    Originally posted by sweet91accord
    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

The paint should shine up pretty nice, and I've already swapped wheels and tires, along with the seat and carpet from my old truck into it to clean up the interior. Also replaced the door bushings with some PEX tubing I had laying around, so they shut a lot nicer now! I do need to replace the wing window on the passenger side, since it's broken. Might just steal it from my 87's doors.

Just unloaded her in this pic:

Interior was fairly rough, but not too bad overall. Probably going to put some LMC panels, these ones are dry and crumbly on the top:

New wheels/tires:

Put the carpet from my 87' R10 into it:

Aaand done!

Here is what the side of the engine block looked like after running for about 5-10 seconds...
    [/QUOTE]
    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

looking clean!
      Originally posted by deevergote
      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

are you going to re-built the straight 6 or beef up to a big block? i like the older chevy trucks. back when you can call them trucks. now a days... nice work on the interior. diy?
        Last edited by jewelproject; 07-10-2012, 04:12 PM.
        RIP 4/23/12...lets not forget, the 88" Z31 turbo, are my dailys

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
          looking clean!
          Thanks!

Originally posted by jewelproject View Post
          are you going to re-built the straight 6 or beef up to a big block? i like the older chevy trucks. back when you can call them trucks. now a days... nice work on the interior. diy?
          I really want to rebuild the straight six, but it depends what is wrong with it. Probably won't do a big block in this truck, since I won't be hot rodding this one. I have a TBI 305 in my garage from my other truck that I would probably swap in if I don't do the straight six.

Comment

Well, I started prepping the TBI wiring harness I have to install it into the 84', because, well...

She's dead, Jim.

Would definitely require a hone or bore and a rebuilt cylinder head to get this thing back into running condition. I'm not even going to bother when I have a fuel injected V8, ECU, and wiring harness at my disposal. For free, no less.

Comment

And the old girl still ran can't beat an old inline six. Good luck with the project!

02 Crv
              02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
              92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
              Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
                And the old girl still ran can't beat an old inline six. Good luck with the project!
                It really is crazy how tough those things are!

Got the TBI harness cut down to the essentials and almost ready to go into the truck. I am just waiting for the fuse block and relays I ordered to show up, and then I can install. While I wait for those, I'll be swapping in the EFI fuel tanks, pumps, and associated wiring.

Comment

Been a while since I've updated this. Finally got the engine in and running! Please kindly excuse all of the ugly zip ties, I haven't loomed all of the wiring yet.

Comment

NOTHING like those old chevy's in texas to make you smile and remember my childhood riding in them all the time. I think every family member had a c10/ silverado or suburban..... Man brings back a lot of smells and memories. Good find and job on the swap. Now some drop spindles and some rear blocks and good to go! Or some air bags.... lol!

That straight six just needs some marvel mystery oil and a little love she'll be right as rain. Well maybe a complete rebuild would be best. Thats a 256 right? I would keep it for a rat build.
                    Last edited by da9b16; 09-08-2012, 09:38 AM.
                    WAGONS

94 ce1- f22b DOHC auto swap, ROH 11.1" 99 cl brakes, rear disk swap, dual plenums, aem cai, tein ss, OEM stanley one piecers, OEM stanley yellow fogs, OEM 96 Oddy roof rack, Yakima basketcase, some wheels, some tires.... etc.

Comment

I've made a lot of progress on this truck lately:

New Window Motors
                      New door seals, vent window seals, and glass run channel
                      New door switches for power locks and windows
                      New exhaust manifold on the passenger side to replace a cracked manifold
                      Hooked up my 20 gallon fuel tank. I now have 36 gallons total capacity
                      Fixed the turn signal cancel cam
                      Installed a GMT400 style steering wheel
                      Installed a tachometer on the dash
                      Fixed the horns and dome light
                      Installed factory TBI air snorkel and pre-heater hose for the intake
                      Fixed the cruise control
                      Washed the truck for the first time
                      Installed newer door panels
                      Cleaned up the wiring from the TBI swap

I also ordered up all the parts to rebuild the suspension:

KYB - 344068 - Front GR2 Gas Charged Shock Absorber - x2
                      KYB - 344072 - Rear GR2 Gas Charged Shock Absorber - x2
                      MOOG - ES2004S - Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve - x2
                      MOOG - K6136 - Upper Ball Joint - x2
                      MOOG - K6117T - Lower Ball Joint - x2
                      MOOG - ES409RT - Outer Tie Rod End - x2
                      MOOG - ES409LT - Inner Tie Rod End - x2
                      MOOG - K6247T - Idler Arm - x1
                      MOOG - K6143 - Pitman Arm - x1

Air snorkel isn't installed yet in this picture, but this is the final result of my swap:

Comment

Damn. Do work!

Nice job. This thing has really turned out great. I love me an old squarebody.

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
                          Damn. Do work!

Nice job. This thing has really turned out great. I love me an old squarebody.
                          Thanks Mikey!

My suspension parts showed up today, so I just need to pick up a few small things, and then I'll go to town on that. I plan to pickup a front swaybar from a 1-ton truck. My 87' had a 1/2 ton bar, and this Silverado has nothing...It's got some pretty sweet body roll in the corners right now!

In the mean time, before I pick up those last few parts, I'm going to try and put some shine on the paint.

Comment

Nice. What are you doing for suspension? Just stock refurbishment or a little drop?

I really like the truck's colour scheme. Lots of character in this one.

Comment

As far as the suspension goes, I'm just doing a stock rebuild for now.

I have to admit, I wasn't a huge fan of the color on this truck at first, but it's definitely grown on me. The paint is also shining up pretty well for just using some fine polish (I don't want to remove too much paint). No pics of that just yet, it got too dark.

Goodies showed up tonight though!

Comment

Working...
                              X