Smokinspeeds : 1996 Honda Civic EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoner51 View Post
    I think they use p06 or p28 so the answer should be yes you can delete it.

steve
    Unless you pay extra I think they normally convert a po6 to vtec, I did not know I could delete it with the po6. I opened it and the chip is in the bottom right when holding the ecu with pins to the left, and my po6 has the chip on the top right. Maybe it.is a po6? They cleaned off the outside very well. Everything looks crisp and clean inside, cleanest of any ecu I've seen thus far. And the USB header output is already added as well, I've got a hulog USB I was going to use on the cb that I will use later after I get a wideband.
    My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

P06 is a civic or del sol ECU if I remember. Neither of which have EGR.

steve

From what I read only Prelude and accord had EGR.

Comment

Nice! I bet this thing is lots of fun!

Comment

Was lots of fun. Cruising on the highway it decided to pretty much blow up. I knew it didn't sound right and I should have had someone check it out before I drove it. I'm beyond pissed. Hopefully it's just the valves and I can have it rebuilt correctly.

Comment

update

So I was right to freak out when I Saw the oil pan all smashed in when I had the exhaust put on a week ago. Oil return was crushed and the motor was oil starved. Block has to be rebuilt and head is going to get checked at machine shop.

I may have to ditch the block and try to find an h22 block, if the head is even still good.

Wiring is a hack job and the shop says nothing looks new, so much for the timing belt having been replaced... maybe re-used off another car >.<

Comment

Is it a PDE head?
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                Is it a PDE head?
                I don't know, i know about the two different heads but I am still not sure how to tell which is which. I can ask the shop which one it is.

If the head is screwed as well its pretty much not worth saving the motor at all.

Comment

Ah man, that totally sucks ass.

K swap!

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
                    Ah man, that totally sucks ass.

K swap!
                    Rofl I can get another h23a vtec for just under 1k, it already has mounts, intake and ecu that make it worth staying H. Plus this swap in a civic IS more rare than the K swap.

Comment

Now that looks like a fun car

click to see my ride
                      click to check out my bb6 dash swap

Comment

So she blew up huh?

Aww man!

Comment

Originally posted by jchsmiley View Post
                          So she blew up huh?

Aww man!
                          Yup, in literally the worst possible timing lifewise as well. I think the only thing that would make it worse would be to find out we are expecting. I mean, its not like we are saving up for a wedding and a downpayment for a house or anything... oh wait...

Rod knock is no joke. Sounds like some angry transformer keebler elves with metal hammers trying to break free.

Anywho, Waiting for another h23a vtec to come in, supposed to be may 7. It will cost a pretty penny but for the work this shop is doing, $1.1k labor for pulling the old motor, and redoing all seals/belts on the new motor and install is good, as well as the fact that the shop show van is an Odyssey with an h23a vtec so I'm more comfortable using him. If I get a chance I am going to spend a bit of time there this weekend redoing the rats nest of wire that was hidden under the intake manifold, there is almost no wire loom, everything is just half taped horrible wiring everywhere.

Once its up and running again it will get some headers, a tune, skunk 2 shocks to end the boat-like handling, and probably a nice wax and buff. I want to paint the wheels white, get tint done then door visors, maybe a rear window visor, and thats about it.

Comment

Motor Finally came in to the local motor wharehouse, the shop doing the swap, *** performance, is going to replace all the gaskets, pumps, tbelt, so I should have it back sometime next week with an almost brand new motor and a 2.5k$ bill. =/..

I went in this past friday and cleaned up the wiring harness a bit, basically everything that had been touched for the swap was poorly wrapped in tape and no wire loom, so I picked up some loom and tape and did the best I could. It's quite painful leaning over a lowered engine bay for a few hours being 6'3"! I also had to re run the starter switch wiring, it was 18 Gauge (way to small!) and had a few splices and a scary burned section with exposed wire. I re ran 16 and as soon as I get it back I will ad a 20a fuse.

Pics soon, just not quite yet! ^^

Comment

Awesome. Can't wait to see some progress again!

Comment

Current Progress pics from the shop are here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7349707&type=1

A lot was done as poorly as you can imagine, its amazing it even ran at all tbh. Every little thing that was done by shortcut is being fixed properly, Jeremy at *** is really hooking me up. I recommend him for just about anything you want done that you wouldn't trust any chain mechanic shop to do for your import honda, he is as thorough as you will get without paying through the nose going somewhere like T1 or Jotech.

It will possibly be finished this weekend, and after I get it back I will clean up any imperfections in the bay, maybe few in a few holes/shave a few things and smooth out the back firewall where it was hammered in to make the huge TB fit.

Currently trying to decide suspension setup, I cannot uber drop this with the massive h23a oil pan. Also I am going to paint the Rota's white, work on a few simple and tasteful exterior mods, finish the audio, and ultimately clean it up enough to attempt magazine feature status. Considering it is going to be one of the rarest swaps you will ever see in a civic, I find this a very possible goal, and after all the $$ I am dropping into it to have it built right why not make it worth it? ^_^

Comment

Working...
                                X