No announcement yet.

Tippey764 : 2004 BMW M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your symptoms when the light comes on? Has your smg pump been replaced yet? In my m3 it went out around 106k, there's a few things you can check before you determine it's the pump.

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
    Well today i think i figured out my SMG light issue

So basically the SMG pump is shutting off because its getting hot and going into limp mode

The reason its getting hot is because the fan clutch is 100% dead. I can stop it with my hands.

I'm going to replace it and see if the problem goes away.
    MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=175158

Comment

Originally posted by remix405 View Post
      What are your symptoms when the light comes on? Has your smg pump been replaced yet? In my m3 it went out around 106k, there's a few things you can check before you determine it's the pump.
      Honestly reading into this leaves alot of skepticism about the pump failures

No one has really figured out what fails in them nor can i even locate what the symptoms are

Everyone complains of a slightly different problem and has a slightly different solution. Nothing is concrete or logical

My car only does it when it gets hot. When it gets hot it will randomly fall into N between shifts. It goes away when the car cools off. My fan clutch is dead so it only seems logical that this is the problem.

I feel like everyone who owns this car just replaces the pump because they have the money to do so.

Comment

I had the exact same symptoms so I first replaced the salmon relay only a $25 sensor it was good for another week before it started doing the same thing where it will throw the car into N, I then took it to my buddy who is a bmw master tech. He said the pumps usually fail at around 100k so he replaced mine and that fixed the problem.

When you say the car gets hot are you talking about the engine temp or the tranny temp? These cars do tend to run on the hotter side.

It seems from all the threads I've read people start having issues with the pump at 100-115k
        After I replaced mine I put another 52k and then sold the car when I sold the car it was running strong shifts where clean
        MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=175158

Comment

Originally posted by remix405 View Post
          I had the exact same symptoms so I first replaced the salmon relay only a $25 sensor it was good for another week before it started doing the same thing where it will throw the car into N, I then took it to my buddy who is a bmw master tech. He said the pumps usually fail at around 100k so he replaced mine and that fixed the problem.

When you say the car gets hot are you talking about the engine temp or the tranny temp? These cars do tend to run on the hotter side.

It seems from all the threads I've read people start having issues with the pump at 100-115k
          After I replaced mine I put another 52k and then sold the car when I sold the car it was running strong shifts where clean
          When i say hot i mean the car is warmed up

Regardles the fan clutch is bad and i feel that is my problem. The thing about the "pump" is its a whole system that "can't" be repaired. Mainly because they don't sell parts for it separately.

There are a bunch of things on that unit that can fail and all create the same end issue, the car going into N

Honestly i think whats causing mine is it getting too hot. The problem ONLY happens when the car is warmed up and is driven at very slow speeds in a hot ambient temperature. The pump runs strong and fine when it runs when i unlock the doors.

There are so many people that have the issue i'm having and do the resistor mod and it solves their dropping to N issue. Because i'm willing to bet that stupid temperature sensor fails or it just really is running hot. I'm sure some of the actual pumps fail but i doubt its as high as you would think. I think most of the reasons that unit is replaced is because of sub component failures like the temperature sensor.

Comment

Did some cleaning today

I washed, clay barred and waxed

Also i love that i got a chance to peel this off

Comment

So this weekend i went to hyperfest and took it on the track

It was an amazing amount of fun getting to push this car to its limits

It was my first time on the track and i did pretty good for my first time according to the instructor

I literally passed every other car in my session except one. The car performed great until the end when the SMG light came on and the car dropped to neutral on the straight away lol.

All that driving makes me realize how much work i really need to do to get my car handling even better.

My MPG after 20 minutes of hard driving

Top number is for that run, bottom number is for the whole tank of fuel. When i actually calculated my fuel economy when i filled up it came out to 15mpg lol

Comment

Probably illegal but wololol

Comment

I though the way to tell the fan clutch is out was if it DID move freely. am I wrong or did I mis-understand you?

also... best feeling in the world!
                  Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
                  It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Originally posted by Quashish View Post
                    I though the way to tell the fan clutch is out was if it DID move freely. am I wrong or did I mis-understand you?

also... best feeling in the world!
                    Yeah the fan clutch spun free with no resistance. That's how I could stop it with my hands,

Comment

The gloss black looks alot better than the other stuff that was on there. only down side is the fingerprints if anyone touches it.

I DIY wrapped my ladies woodgrain with 3m carbon fiber and it came out nice.

moar pix of the cf wrap at the end of pg 1 and some one pg2: http://s173.photobucket.com/user/xkjnboix/library/E46

Get rid of those clear corners too cuz it looks out of place ( like ebay clear corners on cb7's ). these are the factory sedan ones and they are clean.

Makes a HUGE difference!!
                      Last edited by xkjnboix; 08-14-2013, 11:54 PM.
                      frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Ewww those corners are gross, not to mention they wont fit. The only corners that fit are from a m3 coupe or 00-03 non m coupe

The trim is always an idea though

Comment

Working...
                        X