My other car project 96 jetta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My other car project 96 jetta

I am so embarassed, I have e 96 jetta, and vw forum is so lame I cant get no help over there. Anyone have kowlege of to fix a german piece of garbage? I cant starts the car and check for arks at night. Just switch out cap, rotter and dizzy along with wire set. I did pull my plugs out to recheck bosh gap and the plugs were black and smelling like gas. Anyone have idea.

seems like its not firing properly,re-check the ignition and make sure things are in order .....dizzy ,rotor, an wires..or could be out of time....was it ever running?

Comment

All i can say is take a plug out leave it in the boot and have someone crank it over and check for spark. If you have spark check for fuel. If no spark than find out why. I wish i could help more but all im familiar with is TDI Jettas.

Comment

if anyone wed3k would know how to fix that german pc of crap

Comment

Thanks guys, I love you guys. K, I figures it out. I had the wrong firing order, but I ran the car 14 miles and it crap out agian. Same issue, it bogged down. It felt like it was out of gas, I had to rock the car to with the steering wheel so the car can pick up some rpms and coast abit further. Anyways, i have to go back to and make this car drive back home so I can work in on the issues. Pulled two new codes po422 & po137.

Comment

Fault Code Definition
            The Powertrain Computer or PCM has determined that the Oxygen Sensor voltage remained below 400 millivolts for more than two minutes (varies with vehicle make and model) or that the Air Fuel Ratio Sensor remained in a lean-biased mode for too long (varies with vehicle make and model).
            OBD II P0131 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
            OBD II P0137 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 1)

Symptoms
            Check Engine Light will illuminate
            Vehicle may idle or run rough
            Decrease in fuel Eeconomy because PCM is in a "limp home" mode
            Engine dies

In some unusual cases, there are no adverse conditions noticed by the driver

Common Problems that Trigger the P0131 and P0137 Code
            Defective Oxygen Sensor/Air Fuel Ratio Sensor
            Defective Oxygen Sensor/Air Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater circuit

High Fuel Pressure
            Defective Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
            Defective sensor wiring and/or circuit problem
            PCM software needs to be updated
            Defective PCM

Polluting Gases Expelled
            HCs (Hydrocarbons): Unburned droplets of raw fuel that smell, affect breathing, and contribute to smog
            CO (Carbon Monoxide): Partially burned fuel that is an odorless and deadly poisonous gas
            NOX (Oxides of Nitrogen): One of the two ingredients that, when exposed to sunlight, cause smog

Want to Learn More?
            The purpose of codes P0131 and P0137 is to track the amount of time that the Oxygen Sensor or Air Fuel Ratio Sensor stays in a lean signal/condition before moving to a rich signal/condition. If the signal stays stuck in a lean mode and/or is set below the lean to rich cross count point for 2 minutes or more—which is generally around 400 millivolts for an Oxygen Sensor—then the code P0131 or P0137 is triggered.

The switching time of an Air Fuel Ratio Sensor can also be observed using a scanner, though this data is only an approximation created by the Powertrain Control Module for diagnostic purposes. In order to set, this Oxygen Sensor/Air Fuel Ratio Sensor code usually requires malfunctions on two different drive cycles by the vehicle; however, if the problem is severe enough, the code can set in less than fifteen minutes on an initial test drive, after the clearing of all codes. In other words, the code setting criteria varies from vehicle to vehicle.

you may have a bad cat po422 also refers to oxygen sensor
            Last edited by cb7attack66; 06-15-2012, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb7attack66 View Post
              Fault Code Definition
              The Powertrain Computer or PCM has determined that the Oxygen Sensor voltage remained below 400 millivolts for more than two minutes (varies with vehicle make and model) or that the Air Fuel Ratio Sensor remained in a lean-biased mode for too long (varies with vehicle make and model).
              OBD II P0131 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
              OBD II P0137 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 1)

Symptoms
              Check Engine Light will illuminate
              Vehicle may idle or run rough
              Decrease in fuel Eeconomy because PCM is in a "limp home" mode
              Engine dies

In some unusual cases, there are no adverse conditions noticed by the driver

Common Problems that Trigger the P0131 and P0137 Code
              Defective Oxygen Sensor/Air Fuel Ratio Sensor
              Defective Oxygen Sensor/Air Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater circuit

High Fuel Pressure
              Defective Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
              Defective sensor wiring and/or circuit problem
              PCM software needs to be updated
              Defective PCM

Polluting Gases Expelled
              HCs (Hydrocarbons): Unburned droplets of raw fuel that smell, affect breathing, and contribute to smog
              CO (Carbon Monoxide): Partially burned fuel that is an odorless and deadly poisonous gas
              NOX (Oxides of Nitrogen): One of the two ingredients that, when exposed to sunlight, cause smog

Want to Learn More?
              The purpose of codes P0131 and P0137 is to track the amount of time that the Oxygen Sensor or Air Fuel Ratio Sensor stays in a lean signal/condition before moving to a rich signal/condition. If the signal stays stuck in a lean mode and/or is set below the lean to rich cross count point for 2 minutes or more—which is generally around 400 millivolts for an Oxygen Sensor—then the code P0131 or P0137 is triggered.

The switching time of an Air Fuel Ratio Sensor can also be observed using a scanner, though this data is only an approximation created by the Powertrain Control Module for diagnostic purposes. In order to set, this Oxygen Sensor/Air Fuel Ratio Sensor code usually requires malfunctions on two different drive cycles by the vehicle; however, if the problem is severe enough, the code can set in less than fifteen minutes on an initial test drive, after the clearing of all codes. In other words, the code setting criteria varies from vehicle to vehicle.

you may have a bad cat po422 also refers to oxygen sensor
              cant tell you how many times vdubs have engine lights, and most of the time its for a damn o2 sensor. eh you should be ok just replace it, i assume it a 2.0? not the vr.

Comment

Why did I have to rock the car side to side to get go? How many 02 sensors are we talking about here?

Comment

think 2.. up stream and down stream o2 sensors you could also have a clogged/bad catalytic converter..when you go from side to side the metal catalyst inside could just be shifting around. you could even be experiencing a fuel line becoming pinched when car moves around ..you said you were smelling gas before? im leaning towards cat,,or could be electrical,,check the wires around your o2 sensors
                  Last edited by cb7attack66; 06-15-2012, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Last friday I double check the firing order, i was off, had to look up the correct order. I ran the car 30 miles, and got stranded. Same results, car sputtered to a complete stop. I noticed [P] (Parking light) is flikering, is that a code going off? I still got black smelling spark plugs. I had to have the jetta towed home, havent donw a thing to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X