2003 Accent burning smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 Accent burning smell

I've got a 2003 Accent 5 speed. I've been driving stick for about 3 months now so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if the car is.

Pretty much, whenever my wife and I drive, there's sometimes a burning smell. We thought it was oil but were told there's no oil leak.

Today, I drove for about 10 minutes total, got back, and noticed the check engine light. I popped the hood and noticed a small amount of smoke (very small amount) coming from the right side of the engine and to the left of the transmission.

So, a. am I driving it wrong. b. is the clutch on its way out or c. is it something else?
    My Car
    FREE Web hosting solutions

Burnt clutch has a very distinct smell, it smells like rotten eggs almost, while burning oil smells like... a burning oil if that makes any sense. I'd say something is leaking onto the exhaust.

Comment

That's what I thought too but the mechanic said he didn't see any leaks. It's a pain in the ass. Now, on top of that, the engine light is on. Fail. haha.
      My Car

Comment

Change the car to Accord.
        A&P-IA

Comment

My 03 Accent almost killed me. Dont wreck it, itll crush like a tin can.

Yes thats blood on the bottom of the door seal. And yeah those are Burger King onion rings i never got to finish.

The guys car that hit me. They drove it onto the wrecker i was told.

Sorry for being off topic. It just really gets me how those cars crumble.
          Im disabled now and walk with a cane. Until its time for me to use a walker.

To answer your question i had a similar smell. It ended up being the O2 sensor wires burning.

Comment

why are we talking about Hyundai's here?????

Comment

Originally posted by Rookdarealest View Post
              why are we talking about Hyundai's here?????
              because the op will get a better answer here than on some of the Hyundai forums.

as far as I have experienced, sometimes tAKING IT TO THE DEALER MAY BE YOUR BEST BET

IT WAS FOR OUR ELANTRA

sorry for hitting caps lock
              Last edited by bobbycos; 07-04-2012, 11:02 PM.
              http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Solution: valve cover gasket leak. Got that replaced and we've not had the smell since. I'm pretty happy about that!
                My Car

Comment

Working...
                X