Transmission won't shift into 5th gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission won't shift into 5th gear

This isn't for the CB, but for the 8th gen but could be applicable here.

The car shifts fine into every gear but 5th. I've had the 3rd gear TSB performed about 10k miles back. I'm starting to notice notchiness while moving the shifter to select 1-2 gears.

What would cause this erratic behavior? I would say synchros, but I don't think that would cause instantaneous failure.

SN: My wife has been driving the car to and fro work while her car gets fixed. She is a fairly new stick driver and has grinded the gears a pretty good amount. I hope she didn't shave the teeth off it...She also used to be a "hard" shifter relative to me. I use my wrist and she used her whole arm to engage the gears. She's been driving since about November of last year.

YouTube Clicky!!

Going to take this thing into Honda tomorrow. I tried to fill the transmission with MTF yesterday and it took more 2 quarts and still wasn't full. Then I found that my MTF was leaking out. I'm not sure if that was a weep hole from it being full or what. It only leaked out maybe 1/8 quarts.

I really don't want to fight Honda, but I believe it was a poor repair. This can be moved to the "Other Automotive" section.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

maybe they want you to change into a new Honda

Comment

No thanks. I'm really just not feeling the new Hondas. Except the Fit, and maybe the ZDX because it looks good in black. If this repair is super expensive, which I suspect it will be, then I may talk to the sales people and see if they have some good deals.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I gave Honda the go ahead to drop the transmission. I'm confident that the previous repair was bad. I don't see why this car can't go 75k without a major issue unless someone has been inside it. They'll probably say something like "x, y , z part went bad. Your SOL. Pay us."

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

If you have records of it being only serviced at Honda dealers or Honda approved shops then you may have some leverage on the issue. If not then you are probably SOL or if there was another shop to work on it and because of that work ruined the transmission, bring up the results the dealer give to you and go from there.
            Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Honda was the last "shop" to do work on the car. Other than routine maintenance, I really don't wrench on the car that often. I want it pretty much stock for reliability reasons and for situations like this. I believe I have the receipt for the work done in the glove box, I'll have to check

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Then you may come out of this no charge. Isn't there a 100k mile warranty?
                Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Negative. Honda has a 60k mile warranty. Because of the length of time from the previous repair, they can't do anything. This is the first and last time I take my car to the stealership. I decided to give it a shot, so at least I tried.

Oh and as far as what's wrong with it...They aren't sure so they are going to replace everything that involves the 5th gear set (synchros, shift fork, gears). They also aren't sure what would have caused this issue as it is their first time seeing the 5th gear locked out.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                  X