Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

93 Sentra power steering leak

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    93 Sentra power steering leak

    Trying to chase down all the known places that the power steering system leaks, because mine is leaking like a mofo. I know for one thing that my high pressure hose to the pump is leaking but that entire side of the engine bay is coated in power steering fluid.

    Thanks in advance.
    1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
    1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
    1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
    1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

    #2
    its usually the pump itself, or the hose/connection like you said. It might help to start by degreasing/washing the engine bay to see where it starts from, the wetness down the side of the engine bay might just be the pump leaking over time, being spread out by the wind of driving the car down the road.

    Otherwise I would suggest just following the lines down and around the engine bay - I know a lot of times they are a combination of sections of rubber hose joining various sections of metal hose - being an older car, the metal hoses often rust out, or the junctions dry out and start leaking.


    - 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

    Comment


      #3
      One thing I've found on our CBs is that the hose clamps they used were two loops of wire around the hose. The wire loops over time dig into the hose and effectively reduce the clamp of the hose to the tube. Remove the loop clamp and install wider band type hose clamp.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 391,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      07 Element EX AWD 197,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210623
      07 Element EX AWD AT (2) 90,000 - MRT: www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=211920

      LOTS of CB7 parts - ENTIRE COLLECTION - FREE
      Come and get it. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
        its usually the pump itself, or the hose/connection like you said. It might help to start by degreasing/washing the engine bay to see where it starts from, the wetness down the side of the engine bay might just be the pump leaking over time, being spread out by the wind of driving the car down the road.

        Otherwise I would suggest just following the lines down and around the engine bay - I know a lot of times they are a combination of sections of rubber hose joining various sections of metal hose - being an older car, the metal hoses often rust out, or the junctions dry out and start leaking.
        Thank you I've got engine degreaser already, I'll see if I can get it cleaned up by Wednesday.

        Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
        One thing I've found on our CBs is that the hose clamps they used were two loops of wire around the hose. The wire loops over time dig into the hose and effectively reduce the clamp of the hose to the tube. Remove the loop clamp and install wider band type hose clamp.
        Thank you for trying to help, I don't have an Accord anymore, mine went to the junkyard. I have a 1993 Nissan Sentra now.
        1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
        1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
        1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
        1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Honda_Lady View Post
          Thank you for trying to help, I don't have an Accord anymore, mine went to the junkyard. I have a 1993 Nissan Sentra now.
          I realize that you're working on a Sentra; my point was to check if/where screw loop type clamps are used, particularly on high pressure lines.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 391,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          07 Element EX AWD 197,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210623
          07 Element EX AWD AT (2) 90,000 - MRT: www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=211920

          LOTS of CB7 parts - ENTIRE COLLECTION - FREE
          Come and get it. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
            I realize that you're working on a Sentra; my point was to check if/where screw loop type clamps are used, particularly on high pressure lines.
            Oh, ok. When I looked today, those didn't look the same as the Accord, but I didn't look all the way down the side so I'll be sure to look tomorrow, thank you.
            1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
            1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
            1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
            1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

            Comment


              #7
              Got a junkyard H/P power steering hose, will get it on tomorrow hopefully.
              1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
              1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
              1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
              1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

              Comment


                #8
                Got the junkyard h/p hose on the car, and used the engine degreaser on the engine bay on the passenger side and rinsed off the engine. Still trying to get it filled back up with fluid.
                1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
                1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
                1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
                1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

                Comment


                  #9
                  After changing the H/P power steering hose, even if it was just a junkyard hose, it has had fluid in it for the first time since we got it! So I think that problem is fixed for now.
                  1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
                  1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
                  1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
                  1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    cool
                    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X