P042 CEL code in CR-V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P042 CEL code in CR-V

My dad's '02 is throwing this code. "Catalyst system efficiency below threshold" apparently.

Unfortunately, he ran to the dealer this morning before calling me and they extracted $99 in exchange for this tidbit of info. They diagnosed a bad catalytic converter. I don't even want to tell you the quote for that, but let's just say he could probably turbocharge it for about the same amount.

My questions:
    1) Could this not be a sensor instead? I haven't looked at it yet, but isn't there a sensor after the converter in OBDII cars that measures the "efficiency"?

2) Also, how does anyone tell if a converter is clogged or falling apart inside without taking it apart to see?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

OK, found this at obdcodes.com

What does that [i.e., code P0420] mean?

Basically this means that the oxygen sensor downstream (after) the catalytic converter on bank 1 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.

Symptoms

You will likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms.

Causes

A code P0420 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for
    * An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
    * The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly
    * Damaged exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / exhaust pipe
    * Retarded spark timing

Possible Solutions

The simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

Next step is to measure the voltage at the oxygen sensor on Bank 1 (the rear sensor, or the sensor after the converter). The voltage should be low and steady (~200mV, depends on the vehicle). If the voltage varies (e.g. 100mV to 600mV) then it's time to replace the catalytic converter. In fact, it would be a good idea to test each oxygen O2 sensor while you're at it.
    Alright, I suppose the dealer put a meter on the sensor and got a varying reading. So maybe they earned a bit of that $99 afterall and didn't just screw him over for just reading the code. Makes a little more sense now.

Comment

Holy shit, Majestic's price for the catalytic converter alone is $1028.65. OMFG.

The dealer "warned" my dad about going aftermarket, but I'm thinking that since the original only lasted 125,xxx miles, that's not impressive either.

Comment

Froogle returns no hits for "2002 CR-V catalytic converter"

rockauto.com shows nothing.

Not looking good for the home team so far. Little wonder Honda charges a grip.

Comment

Just go to a reptuable exhaust shop and have them install one...
          Automotive Service and Fabrication In SOCAL!! https://www.facebook.com/JLRFAB

Comment

Working...
          X