Moving to Denver / Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Firstoff View Post
    Welcome to Colorado! If your looking for IT jobs Ralph schomp Honda is looking for people I believe, I work at mile high Honda, just some rumors I heard floating around our service area. Once your settled in let me know! I wouldn't mind ripping around the highways with another cb
    Awesome, thanks!! I'm looking forward to it.

My CB7 and some of my belongings are already at my new apartment, right now I'm in NY packing up my CR-V and uhaul trailer. I leave tomorrow morning for a 3 day road trip, and then that's that!!

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
      Awesome, thanks!! I'm looking forward to it.

My CB7 and some of my belongings are already at my new apartment, right now I'm in NY packing up my CR-V and uhaul trailer. I leave tomorrow morning for a 3 day road trip, and then that's that!!
      Hope your journey was uneventful, and Colorado is treating you well.
      CB7TUNER.com
      Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

cp[mike] made it this far (West Chester, OH). Conducted our own swap meet; then he headed out about 19:30. Pray he (and the cat) make it the rest of the way safely; he had a LOT of stuff in that CR-V and trailer.
        Last edited by Fleetw00d; 09-21-2014, 09:53 PM.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          [cp]mike made it this far (West Chester, OH). Conducted our own swap meet; then he headed out about 19:30. Pray he (and the cat) make it the rest of the way safely; he had a LOT of stuff in that CR-V and trailer.
          Thanks again Paul, it was nice to get to meet you and put a face to the name. Always fun to get some new car parts as well.

Just crossed into Illinois, I guess I'm about halfway there. So far so good!

and you weren't kidding about the trailer... definitely excessive weight for the CRV, but meh. Anybody know where I can get the car + trailer weighed for free?

Last edited by cp[mike]; 09-21-2014, 01:06 PM.

Current cars:

Comment

Be careful man! That is very unsafe that way....you can see the front wheels almost lifting off the ground! Just take it easy you got aways to go, I did that drive that summer from NH to Colorado Springs, If you're in Illinois you must be going the Northern route as I did on my way out there.

You could stop at any weigh station for a free weigh in.
            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
              Be careful man! That is very unsafe that way....you can see the front wheels almost lifting off the ground! Just take it easy you got aways to go, I did that drive that summer from NH to Colorado Springs, If you're in Illinois you must be going the Northern route as I did on my way out there.

You could stop at any weigh station for a free weigh in.
              i appreciate the concern! i too have been worried about it, but this is why it has a freshly rebuilt engine and clutch, and all-new complete brakes and suspension, with brand new tires. even at its poor-looking angle, the trailer is very carefully balanced (203 lbs tongue weight, with recommended being 200) i spent a good amount of time researching possible complications involved with overloading gross vehicle weight, and I decided to go for it after spending some time test driving it. i have been driving very very carefully and leaving tons of space ahead of me and things have been fine so far. I'm currently passing St. Louis, i'm actually going the southern way (rt 70 through missouri / kansas instead of rt 80 through iowa/nebraska). i cut down thru ohio while visiting fleetw00d.

thanks for the tip about the weigh station. ive been a little cautious about entering one to see if i could, and what the weight is, lest one of the officials notice and give me a citation for unsafe driving or some nonsense (not sure how those stations work)
              Last edited by cp[mike]; 09-21-2014, 03:59 PM.

Current cars:

Comment

finally all settled into my new apartment in Denver, and figured I should post an update!

The CRV was completely overloaded for the 2000-mile trip from NY to CO. The interior was packed to the roof, the rooftop carrier was filled, and the trailer itself was completely packed to the brim and overloaded as well. I even had to start putting stuff into the engine bay as additional storage, and to help balance out the squatting rear end.

I ended up getting the entire setup weighed on a CAT scale, at a T/A travel center in Missouri:

Car empty: 3400 lb including me
                Car full: 4840 lb
                = (1440 lbs of cargo inside car)

Trailer empty: 900 lb
                Trailer full: 2760 lb
                = (1860 lbs of cargo inside trailer)

So the owner's manual recommends a maximum of 1500 lbs of TOTAL towing weight.

My towing weight:
                In-car cargo: 1440 lbs
                Trailer itself: 900 lbs
                Trailer cargo: 1860 lbs
                = (4200 lbs of weight in tow)

so this thing managed to tow a total of 4200 lbs for 2000 miles!!! Or in other words, almost 3x the recommended limit, across the country. It survived without issue, and still drives excellent!! Glad I had put in a completely rebuilt engine and suspension before attempting it, but I don't think I would attempt it again.

Here's some pictures from along the way....

Overloaded trailer:

Engine bay storage. Hard to see, but there is an oil pan hanging on the back of the intake manifold.

Squatting!!!

Tucked rear end. Normally the CRV is really high up...
                Last edited by cp[mike]; 11-24-2014, 02:43 AM.

Current cars:

Comment

Glad you made it safe and sound! I have a CRV too! It'll do you fine, just lacking in power when you're crossing the Continental Divide! Be prepared for 5500 rpm climbs to maintain 50mph when going over the Rockies! Get a lift kit and bigger tires on the crv pronto! Start enjoying our Off Road trails come summer! You'll learn to like it! Now that you're settled in, get out and start enjoying Colorado's great outdoor activities! There are Car Meets every Sunday (weather permitting) sponsored by NationWide Productions. Some good people but you also have some immature idiots that show up too.

Comment

A little late but welcome to this region lol, how are you liking it so far?

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
                    1992 Accord EX Coupe
                    My FS Thread
                    Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
                    Originally posted by deevergote
                    Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

Originally posted by almostJDM View Post
                      A little late but welcome to this region lol, how are you liking it so far?
                      THANKS! You're out here too? Where at? Seems most builds out here are boost, I think I'm leaning that route as well. Planning to build the new coupe soon.

So far so good. Definitely living up to my expectations and I'm glad I picked out here to move to as opposed to NJ or similar. Haven't had an opportunity to really get exploring into the area much yet, as I have a number of time consuming responsibilities to finish taking care of, since they were delayed so much by the time spent on the move (I'm not on vacation anymore). I was hoping to get a bunch of snowboarding in this winter, but I haven't even been able to get out there yet!!!!! WTF!

I have a loooooong list of places to start visiting and things to start doing... just working on getting a couple more things first - just a couple little things - things like time, and money...

Also, just putting it out there, I have room for people to stay so anybody who would like to visit Denver / Colorado, the invitation is open (come snowboarding with me!!). I'd be happy to pick people up from the airport.
                      Last edited by cp[mike]; 02-03-2015, 03:43 AM.

Current cars:

Comment

Which area did you end up moving to? I lived downtown near Colfax/Speer for about two years, it was an absolute blast. I miss it a ton. Lived in a place at Five Points for a little bit, too. Snow doesn't stick around too long in Denver(300+ days of sun per year do that), and there's really only about 2-3 weeks of nasty cold; still, invest in a set of winter tires. Makes all the difference in the world.

Do yourself a favor and spend a weekend just checking out downtown. So many good places to eat it's ridiculous. Highly recommend ANYTHING from Biker Jim's, and the lamb burger at HBurger is amazing.

You're making me want to plan a trip out there now lol.
                        Last edited by Chrisnick; 02-03-2015, 08:58 AM.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                          THANKS! You're out here too? Where at? Seems most builds out here are boost, I think I'm leaning that route as well. Planning to build the new coupe soon.

So far so good. Definitely living up to my expectations and I'm glad I picked out here to move to as opposed to NJ or similar. Haven't had an opportunity to really get exploring into the area much yet, as I have a number of time consuming responsibilities to finish taking care of, since they were delayed so much by the time spent on the move (I'm not on vacation anymore). I was hoping to get a bunch of snowboarding in this winter, but I haven't even been able to get out there yet!!!!! WTF!

I have a loooooong list of places to start visiting and things to start doing... just working on getting a couple more things first - just a couple little things - things like time, and money...

Also, just putting it out there, I have room for people to stay so anybody who would like to visit Denver / Colorado, the invitation is open (come snowboarding with me!!). I'd be happy to pick people up from the airport.

Haha, yup I'm 4-5hrs north of Denver in Wyoming, I'm actually going to be driving through Denver today on my way to Phoenix for a week, if you haven't already I would check out CUSCC on Facebook it's a massive car meet/show they hold each year around the end of April beginning of May, also Pikes Peaks week long event list at the end of June just before the Pike Peak International Hill climb, as far as snow boarding I'm right there with you haha I have yet to get out there lol, speaking of coupe I need this weather to warm up, and my schedule to clear up so I can work on mine more lol, but you are correct sir boost is the name of the game out here, well more like AWD turbo vehicles.

Oh also I drive through there ever few months or so since my parents live 4hrs south of Denver in Alamosa if you ever wanted to meet up and grab lunch whenever I'm passing through you can hit me up on facebook my names Mychal Webb

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
                          1992 Accord EX Coupe
                          My FS Thread
                          Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
                          Originally posted by deevergote
                          Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

Working...
                          X