Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

500 is the labor my swap cost me at a performace shop, and i also got warranty and a free test pipe lol, its always good to want to do stuff your self but if iu never done it ur self before its probably best to pay someone and get it done ryt the first time

New & Improved 93 Accord EX Coupe

what makes a man a man?

Originally posted by ric3rboi23
    disrespect females, acquire currency.

Comment

Originally posted by Juice21 View Post
      500 is the labor my swap cost me at a performace shop, and i also got warranty and a free test pipe lol, its always good to want to do stuff your self but if iu never done it ur self before its probably best to pay someone and get it done ryt the first time
      Originally posted by JARHEAD293 View Post
      trust me dude $500 to have somone do it for ut, all uhave to do is pick it up. its worth it. cause man engine swaps are a pain, especially when u r a newbie at it.
      Understandably so... but i do think i can do it. But if i pay to have it done then that's 500 big ones that could go towards other things i need. and if i pay to have it done the first time, what happens the second time?

I mean the diy here put it out there pretty easily and if i had trouble i could always jump on to my savior here and just ask away. the only trouble i am having is $$$ and space to do it.

Space is a maybe if it can be done in one full day. but then i still need the money. and thats just the money for the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by JARHEAD293 View Post
        in opalacka ,florida
        ALL JAPANESE ENGINES
        (305) 685-2550
        Ask for Charlie Nuñez
        ebay name is yurdenkis
        f20a engine- $325
        f22b1-$450
        well i just called charlie and he quoted me a long block for 950 with a start up guarantee as long as i replace the front and rear seals, water pump, and timing belt before install... how much would all of that run me because i want to add that on top of the price of the motor to get a good estimate on how much the swap will run me...

Originally posted by Juice21 View Post
        and would all of that be included of i had jose and jacob do it for the $500?

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post
          well i just called charlie and he quoted me a long block for 950 with a start up guarantee as long as i replace the front and rear seals, water pump, and timing belt before install... how much would all of that run me because i want to add that on top of the price of the motor to get a good estimate on how much the swap will run me...

and would all of that be included of i had jose and jacob do it for the $500?
          i dont know about them but thats what it was for the shop i went to, its located ryt before dale mabry meets hillsborough

New & Improved 93 Accord EX Coupe

what makes a man a man?

Originally posted by ric3rboi23
          disrespect females, acquire currency.

Comment

I say do it yourself. That way you have no one to blame if something went wrong. I am a DIY person i don't see why i would need to pay someone a shit load of money to do something i can do for half or even less of the price. PLus it is a learning experience. I would say hey can you guys just come out and help not do the swap but help. Its not a hard swap. The hardest part is the wiring and thats pretty easy its all spilled out on cb7tuner. You could use that 500 or 950 and get cams or something.

Also there is not much pride in saying your cars got an h22 or a turbo if you didn't put any wrench time in it. All you did was pay for it. Granted why when i help ppl with swap i don't charge, i have them get involved. That way they know how to do it next time around.
            ~Nick~
            FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
            MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
              I say do it yourself. That way you have no one to blame if something went wrong. I am a DIY person i don't see why i would need to pay someone a shit load of money to do something i can do for half or even less of the price. PLus it is a learning experience. I would say hey can you guys just come out and help not do the swap but help. Its not a hard swap. The hardest part is the wiring and thats pretty easy its all spilled out on cb7tuner. You could use that 500 or 950 and get cams or something.

Also there is not much pride in saying your cars got an h22 or a turbo if you didn't put any wrench time in it. All you did was pay for it. Granted why when i help ppl with swap i don't charge, i have them get involved. That way they know how to do it next time around.
              You kinda read my mind... i couldn't rightly brag about my motor if someone else put it in... and if the hardest part is the wiring i am in heaven because it can't be all that much worse than installing a car alarm/remote start and i have done those before...

charlie also said that i could use my stock ECU... but wouldn't the VTEC not engage and i would get crazy codes from the CEL right?

Comment

Ok guys...

The reasons you have shops do the work for you is because you don't know how to do it or that you don't have the time to mess with or the place to do such a task. That is what shops are for ... so you don't have to worry about how to do such things.

I don't have a problem installing all the items needed in the swap .. in matter of fact i really wouldn't do such a swap without having the seals replaced and belts and so forth. No shop can guarantee the motor because they didn't build it. We can guarantee that the parts installed were installed properly and so forth. That is why most places require that those be installed before start for the motor to be under warranty. Been there done that.

If you want to do the motor yourself that is fine. It all depends how long you have to do such a swap. Because a lot of things can and most of the times will go wrong. In other words how long can you afford to have your car down. For me its usually a day at the most because i know what is involved in the swap and have all the parts there ready to go and know what i am doing. Someone that hasn't done it before i would suggest a weekend for the process. And start at it on Friday night that way you have Saturday to get what ever parts you need that you see fit to get after the motor was pulled. You are looking at about 200 and up on replacement parts. It all depends on how much you want to replace.

And yes the stock ecu will run the motor but HIGHLY NOT RECCOMMENDED to do so. See before you do the swap you need a list of things you NEED to get before you even think about turning a wrench. Here is a quick list if you need one

MOTOR
                TRANNY
                ECU
                BELTS
                SEALS
                OIL
                FILTER
                ANTIFREEZE
                etc.... electrical kit to connect wires and solder if you can do so. electrical tape.

those are just things on top of my head. I mean if you have a 5 speed ... consider a new clutch kit. That is why when you price a H22 motor swap I always figure about 500 bucks more on top of that for whatever. Your choice.

Just let us know what you decide to do.

Originally posted by Devergote
                A CB7 with an H22, a clean paintjob, HIDs with a projector retrofit, some nice wheels, and a mild drop on H&R Sport springs and Koni Yellow shocks... that's the perfect car. I'd be happy with that for the rest of my life.

Comment

BTW... if you decide for us to help out then make us an offer !!

A CB7 with an H22, a clean paintjob, HIDs with a projector retrofit, some nice wheels, and a mild drop on H&R Sport springs and Koni Yellow shocks... that's the perfect car. I'd be happy with that for the rest of my life.

Comment

yea when i did my swap i went thru hell. i saw it online and thought hmm peice of cake. not quite. took me like 2 weeks to be done, had every single electriacl problem, exhaust leaks, mine was a f22b1 swap so the crossmember had to be cut. freakin nightmare, never again wil i do anything liek that on my own

Comment

i am guessing your jacob right?

So what does that $500 get me for it at your shop? Like you said you could do it just to get it done. The price isn't bad but if i have you do it i might end up waiting longer to get the motor to make sure i have enough for everything.

I am really tight on money and i am only considering the swap because i don't want to rebuild my whole motor and then just swap it later. I am trying to do my homework to make the smartest decision now the will save me money overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post
                        i am guessing your jacob right?

So what does that $500 get me for it at your shop? Like you said you could do it just to get it done. The price isn't bad but if i have you do it i might end up waiting longer to get the motor to make sure i have enough for everything.

I am really tight on money and i am only considering the swap because i don't want to rebuild my whole motor and then just swap it later. I am trying to do my homework to make the smartest decision now the will save me money overall.
                        correct.. i am Jacob.

that price includes installation of the motor and prep work and also installing all belts seals, tune up. That price is just the labor. I would go around calling about prices for the belts, seals, and all the other stuff.

As everybody else has said. If you are going to be doing it then do it right the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by tn_accords View Post
                          correct.. i am Jacob.

that price includes installation of the motor and prep work and also installing all belts seals, tune up. That price is just the labor. I would go around calling about prices for the belts, seals, and all the other stuff.

As everybody else has said. If you are going to be doing it then do it right the first time.
                          okay well i'll check around. my grandpa works for a honda dealer so if i decide to have it done i'll just let you know and set everything up with you guys, like appointments and stuff and get a full list of what you need from me. Thanks for the advice and i'll definitely keep you in mind.

also would you guys buy the F22 left over? if i have you do it then i wont be able to move it or even have storage for it.

Comment

Don't get me wrong i vouche for jacob and jose they are cool cats and know what they are doing. Hell jacob has 2 cars with hs in them he has to know what he is doing. But if i were you flatline i would have them come help you out. I wouldn't just buy everythign and say here. There is no learning in that. The whole point of building a car is for a learning experience not to make it fast. I personally have swapped 4 motors. 3 in my car and another 1 in a friends car. 2 SOHCs and 2 DOHCs. It will be hard the first time because you will be like wow thats a lot of shit and what the hell does all of it do.

My first swap took me a weekend and that was just a head swap. Granted i was also new at this. The biggest thing i did b4 that was swap my clutch.(not hard to do) But the key is having someone there that has a good idea of what to do and have a lot of contacts on your cell phone. Your first time is going to take a while just for the shire fact that its your first time. But i guarrentee you won't forget how to do it for the rest of your life.

So say you have crzy tuning do your swap, and it runs good for a couple of years then boom the shit blows. You will have no idea what to do because you did not put wrench time in to figure out how the stuff works. So you will have to shell out another couple of hundred to have someone do it for you.

Now i am not saying do it all by yourself, i am saying don't pay a shop to do it for you but instead have friends or shops help you thru it. That way you can learn and not blow a wad of cash.

thats my .02

But like i said jacob and jose do know what they are doing. So in the end it is up to you and your budget.

Also keep in mind does that 500 include tools? Food drinks?

Jacob and jose don't take this as if i am trying to say don't go to you guys i just want him to learn what is going on instead of having someone do it.
                            ~Nick~
                            FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                            MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                              Don't get me wrong i vouche for jacob and jose they are cool cats and know what they are doing. Hell jacob has 2 cars with hs in them he has to know what he is doing. But if i were you flatline i would have them come help you out. I wouldn't just buy everythign and say here. There is no learning in that. The whole point of building a car is for a learning experience not to make it fast. I personally have swapped 4 motors. 3 in my car and another 1 in a friends car. 2 SOHCs and 2 DOHCs. It will be hard the first time because you will be like wow thats a lot of shit and what the hell does all of it do.

My first swap took me a weekend and that was just a head swap. Granted i was also new at this. The biggest thing i did b4 that was swap my clutch.(not hard to do) But the key is having someone there that has a good idea of what to do and have a lot of contacts on your cell phone. Your first time is going to take a while just for the shire fact that its your first time. But i guarrentee you won't forget how to do it for the rest of your life.

So say you have crzy tuning do your swap, and it runs good for a couple of years then boom the shit blows. You will have no idea what to do because you did not put wrench time in to figure out how the stuff works. So you will have to shell out another couple of hundred to have someone do it for you.

Now i am not saying do it all by yourself, i am saying don't pay a shop to do it for you but instead have friends or shops help you thru it. That way you can learn and not blow a wad of cash.

thats my .02

But like i said jacob and jose do know what they are doing. So in the end it is up to you and your budget.

Also keep in mind does that 500 include tools? Food drinks?

Jacob and jose don't take this as if i am trying to say don't go to you guys i just want him to learn what is going on instead of having someone do it.
                              Well unfortunately i live north of tampa and i doubt anyone who doen't live around me would want to take the time to do that but i am just getting ready for the worst. my budget says sell this sucker and buy a geo and call it a day....

Right now i am relying on someone to get back to me before i do anything. If i get the right answer from him then i'll have more than enough help. he just move all of his tools down here and he has been doing this stuff for my whole life. Granted it was V8's but the concept is the same.

i might be given another car for the time being anyway and that would give me more time to get this done as well. but my overall decision isn't even close to coming to any real option because i don't even have all my option laid out yet.

But as far as i goes i agree with you. throwing money like that isn't my first decision at all. And i think i would thoroughly enjoy doing it and the end result. Trust me when i say that i would prefer doing it myself any day.

Comment

Originally posted by tn_accords View Post
                                correct.. i am Jacob.
                                whoa........your name is jacob?

lol j/k

174.92 BHP / 171.45 WTQ

Comment

Working...
                                X