Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Looking into roof racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking into roof racks

I'm lookin into getting a roof rack, I was curious what brands are good, I'm Goin to be hauling 2 bmx bicycles, also what's an average price range for a good rack and bike mounts, I have a sedan

Thanks for any help
    Random Customs
    Praise the lowered

yakima and thule

if you can find them used it would be better off since it'll be cheaper.

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

A new Yakima setup with 2 bike rails will run you about $700. Try to find one used...
      Originally posted by Junior Smurff
      Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

There was also an OEM roof rack for the CB, but it's stupid hard to find. Apparently it wasn't a very popular accessory.

If you go with Yakima or Thule, you want 48 inch Crossbars. Anything longer will poke out further than the width of the car, and will look awkward.

Yakima crossbars are round, while Thule crossbars are rectangular. Most accessories are cross-compatible between brands. I know for sure that Yakima accessories can be used on Thule bars - Yakima makes "universal snap-around" accessory clips that are made specifically for retrofitting Yakima gear on a Thule rack.

You're also going to need a set of clips that are fitted specifically for the Accord to wedge the roof rack's towers. Yakima clips are Q73 for sedans and wagons, and Q5 for coupes. Thule clips are T117.
        My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

I found a near mint Yakima roof rack with kayak stack bars, fairing for only $12 at the local junkyard. The only thing bad was I need to order or make key because no key for the locks and I need new Q clips for my Accord.
          Last edited by HATCHing; 02-25-2011, 12:05 AM.
          Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

Originally posted by HATCHing View Post
            I found a near mint Yakima roof rack with kayak stack bars, fairing for only $12 at the local junkyard. The only thing bad was I need to order or make key because no key for the locks and I need new Q clips for my Accord.
            There are two kinds of keys for Yakima racks. SKS and pre-SKS. SKS was used after 1993.

New keys are cut by Yakima, either ordered online or over the phone, for $5.

Yakima SKS keys (Same Key System) came with a single key for 2 or more lock cores. The key has a 3 digit number etched onto it to make spares. The code is also included inside the lock core box (if bought new). If you need a new key cut, you would tell Yakima your key code, and they'll send you a new one. If you've lost your key, you can actually take your locked accessories to a Yakima retailer or locksmith, and they'll be able to cut you a new key.

Pre-SKS keys are really easy to get spares cut. There's actually the key's code etched on the lock core itself. All you gotta do is submit your code and Yakima will cut you a new key.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshy View Post
              There are two kinds of keys for Yakima racks. SKS and pre-SKS. SKS was used after 1993.

New keys are cut by Yakima, either ordered online or over the phone, for $5.

Yakima SKS keys (Same Key System) came with a single key for 2 or more lock cores. The key has a 3 digit number etched onto it to make spares. The code is also included inside the lock core box (if bought new). If you need a new key cut, you would tell Yakima your key code, and they'll send you a new one. If you've lost your key, you can actually take your locked accessories to a Yakima retailer or locksmith, and they'll be able to cut you a new key.

Pre-SKS keys are really easy to get spares cut. There's actually the key's code etched on the lock core itself. All you gotta do is submit your code and Yakima will cut you a new key.
              Not sure why it did not work today when I had Kou CB7-ACCORD over.. we try using his core key/blank key to open my core lock but it did not work. We also try his other two keys for his other Yakima racks but it did not work too. I was hoping Kou's core key can open my core lock so I can get the code numbers and order some keys.

The rack I found look like one of the newer Yakima racks, the Fairing is the small one. The rack look like 3-4 yrs old... Does that explain why Kou's blank key did not work on my?... not sure what model Kou's rack is though.

I'll pm you some pics tomorrow hopefully you can help me to get it open... otherwise I'll go to a Yakima dealer or a locksmith.

Comment

Not sure why it did not work today when I had Kou CB7-ACCORD over.. we try using his core key/blank key to open my core lock but it did not work. We also try his other two keys for his other Yakima racks but it did not work too. I was hoping Kou's core key can open my core lock so I can get the code numbers and order some keys.

The rack I found look like one of the newer Yakima racks, the Fairing is the small one. The rack look like 3-4 yrs old... Does that explain why Kou's blank key did not work on my?... not sure what model Kou's rack is though.

I'll pm you some pics tomorrow hopefully you can help me to get it open... otherwise I'll go to a Yakima dealer or a locksmith.
                The key blanks, or "master keys" have to match the kind of lock you're using them with. Pre-SKS with Pre-SKS, SKS with SKS. Of course a set of cut keys will not be able to open any lock core - it has to match the lock cylinder, or it won't open (duh ).

You can tell for certain by checking the lock cores themselves. Pre-SKS have the code printed on the front of the cylinder and keys, and SKS have the codes printed on the keys.

Correct, the smaller fairings are for the newer racks, and by the time they were on the market, SKS was in effect.

A locksmith will definitely be able to unlock them. Some "authorized" Yakima dealers, like sports equipment stores w/ Yakima gear, will be able to open your locks and even give you the key code. Then you can order a new key.

Comment

The key blanks, or "master keys" have to match the kind of lock you're using them with. Pre-SKS with Pre-SKS, SKS with SKS. Of course a set of cut keys will not be able to open any lock core - it has to match the lock cylinder, or it won't open (duh ).

You can tell for certain by checking the lock cores themselves. Pre-SKS have the code printed on the front of the cylinder and keys, and SKS have the codes printed on the keys.

Correct, the smaller fairings are for the newer racks, and by the time they were on the market, SKS was in effect.

A locksmith will definitely be able to unlock them. Some "authorized" Yakima dealers, like sports equipment stores w/ Yakima gear, will be able to open your locks and even give you the key code. Then you can order a new key.
                  Also with the sks locks the master key will only remove the lock if it is in the unlocked position. The master key wont remove the core if the lock is locked.

All else fails and you don't want to waste money on a locksmith. You can drill out the cores. That's what I had to do to mine. They were the sks cores and the guy I bought the rack off of didn't have the keys and the locks were locked.

Click picture to see my mrt
                  Instagram: sikz6

Comment

Here's the locks that I need help with..sorry I'm such a noob at Yakima racks.
                    I know that the two other bars are for Kayak stacking or straping.

What do I need to do to get it open? I did not have time to go to a Yakima dealer or locksmith yet.. maybe this weekend. Will the SKS blank/master key open the cover? Is this the newer Yakima? SKS?

I bought it at a local pick and pull yard ans paid only $12 buck but I will need keys and Q clips for my CB.. overall I think it's still a nice deal.

Comment

Originally posted by HATCHing
                      Will the SKS blank/master key open the cover?
                      Boss, my key has SKS stamp on it and didn't do the trick.
                      Looks like you may need the pre-SKS.

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by kouzie View Post
                        Boss, my key has SKS stamp on it and didn't do the trick.
                        Looks like you may need the pre-SKS.
                        Maybe so.... But I thought the pre SKS has the key number stamp on the lock? oh well I'll find out what it really is tomorrow when I'll go to a Yakima dealer.

Comment

Maybe so.... But I thought the pre SKS has the key number stamp on the lock? oh well I'll find out what it really is tomorrow when I'll go to a Yakima dealer.
                          Those appear to be SKS. No stamp on the lock cores, and those Q-Towers are fairly new.

That was a steal for $12!

I see Yakima and Thule stuff at junkyards around here, but they're usually rusted and pitted to hell. Those are in very good condition.

Comment

Those appear to be SKS. No stamp on the lock cores, and those Q-Towers are fairly new.

That was a steal for $12!

I see Yakima and Thule stuff at junkyards around here, but they're usually rusted and pitted to hell. Those are in very good condition.
                            I thought they are SKS too.. after few research online.
                            Yea.. I was so surprised when I got in the junkyard...that was the first thing that caught me eyes. I dont even think the rest of the people in the yard know anything about the Yakima roof rack or how valuable they are. The Saab that has the rack mounted on was like brand new... inside out but the turbo engine was bad somehow. It look like who ever own the car has a heated garage and took good care of the roof rack.
                            Last edited by HATCHing; 02-26-2011, 01:55 AM.

Comment

yeah those are the sks lock cores. they are probably locked, which is why the master key wont get them out. i went to rei and since they were locked and were the sks cores, they weren't able to help me. best bet it try a locksmith or drill out the cores. either way, thats a killer deal. the q clips you can get for like 25-50 bucks and the cores are about $50 for a 4 pack i paid $70 for a 6 pack.

and to the op you can get bike mounts for around $50-80 per bike mount. cheaper used of course.

Click picture to see my mrt
                              Instagram: sikz6

Comment

Working...
                              X