Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How to make the paint in my engine compartment look shinier without repainting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make the paint in my engine compartment look shinier without repainting?

I've used that spray foam engine cleaner a pressure washer and a scrub brush. But the paint in my engine compartment still looks dirty. Is that how it was supposed to look today not clear coated or is there a way that I can make the paint look shinier without having to repaint?

Unless you plan to repaint any engine parts soon I give "303 Marine UV Protectant Spray for Vinyl, Plastic, Rubber, Fiberglass, Leather And More – Dust and Dirt Repellant - Non-Toxic, Matte Finish, 32 fl. oz. (30306)" a try.

It's not specifically designed for painted surfaces but I've had good luck with it on my engines Works really well for rubber, vinyl and plastic parts which it's designed for but should also give your painted parts a slightly shinier and consistent matte finish too...

if you do plan to repaint it soon after you apply it may take a lot of effort to remove completely.
    My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

ya, if you already did the scrubbing then a re-paint is required. Sounds like the dirt is in the clear coat now and just been there too long.

Comment

Oil and other crap that lives in your engine bay can do bad things to paint. After 30+ years, if it hasn't been kept clean, that paint is probably too far gone to be shiny. Damage from various engine bay gunk plus embedded dirt as Raf99 mentioned has probably left the paint beyond repair.

You could TRY deep cleaning, clay bar, compound, and polish (at least if you have a mini rotary tool) on some of the more accessible areas, but you may do more harm than good.
        If you REALLY want it to look good, pull everything out of the bay, sand it smooth, and repaint it properly. Then maintain the new paint from day 1.

Comment

I would assume the underhood areas did not get clearcoated from the factory like the exterior body parts, so maybe that Wipenew stuff mentioned in another thread above (with the blue RSX pictures in it) could give you an extra deep shine look if that's what you're after.

Comment

Hm. Honest I just wipe it down every other time I wash the car. Works as a reminder for me and makes it get shiny after awhile also.

Comment

Working...
            X