Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

16'' vs. 17'' rims? What do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16'' vs. 17'' rims? What do you prefer?

I been looking at some rims for a while but now I'm stuck. 16'' rims look nice but sometimes they look too small. While some 17'' rims look abit over the top but they fill out more than 16's. I want to know a few pros and cons on 16's and 17's and which one should I lean towards. Thanks.
    [IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/akona21/cb2-2.jpg[/IMG

I prefer 17's cuz I got mine for a steal!
    "I'm a dude playing a dude, disguised as another dude"
    "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Romans 10:9
    ><((((º>

Comment

Well, primary differences, of course, are weight and appearance.

A while back when I was looking into buying rims, I was torn between 16" and 17" rims as well. I wanted ultralight rims, of course, but I loved the look of 17" rims. As you can tell by my member's ride page, I went with the 17s.

I was initially thinking I'd go with rota 17" rims for their decent weight and looks, but I realized that for the price of 17" rotas ($600-$800), I could get a decent pair of daily driver 17s and then get a lightweight pair of 15s for harder use. I could run cheaper, less aggressive tires on the 17s and run stickier tires on the 15s. Also, since 15" sticky tires are quite a bit cheaper than 17" sticky tires, buying two sets of tires ends up not being too much more expensive. Finally, the daily driver 17" rims with the less aggressive tire tread wear longer, so I don't go through my valuable grippy tires.

I get a fair number of compliments for my 17s, and I know lightweight 15s would be more effective than rota 17s or even 16s, so I'm happy.
      Last edited by TheNextEpisode; 10-09-2007, 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling owns me

Comment

I prefer 16''. The 50 series tire I have on them rides much better than a 40 series tire would on a 17'' rim. I also like the look of the 16'' because the tire is a little meatier and is not riding on rubber bands.
        Gary A.K.A. Carter
        [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Are you going for looks or performance? Because if you're going for looks I'd go 17" hands down, but if you're going for performance I say 16". I say that for two reasons, 1) obviously the 16" are lighter because of less weight, and 2) the bigger the rim diameter is the further the weight is distributed away from the hub. And the further the weight gets distributed from the hub, the harder it is to start rolling, and 16" is about the cut off I've heard racers go with. Now obviously the difference in weight isn't going to be apparent in day to day driving, but on the track you will notice a difference.
          Originally posted by 92dm
          I was actually just being a smart ass, and not really contributing to this at all.
          VOUCHES
          Bought from: cb95spd

Comment

I prefer 14s. 15s

But 17s r nice for crusin type style
            **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
            Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
            Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by bluecb7
              Are you going for looks or performance? Because if you're going for looks I'd go 17" hands down, but if you're going for performance I say 16". I say that for two reasons, 1) obviously the 16" are lighter because of less weight, and 2) the bigger the rim diameter is the further the weight is distributed away from the hub. And the further the weight gets distributed from the hub, the harder it is to start rolling, and 16" is about the cut off I've heard racers go with. Now obviously the difference in weight isn't going to be apparent in day to day driving, but on the track you will notice a difference.
              Well put.
              WE MISS YOU JO(9-04-2008)

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
                I prefer 16''. The 50 series tire I have on them rides much better than a 40 series tire would on a 17'' rim. I also like the look of the 16'' because the tire is a little meatier and is not riding on rubber bands.
                Oh god, yeah. I bought the 40 series tires when I got my 17s, but man I didn't like the look. The rubber band look + my waay-too-mild drop was looking god awful.

I ended up returning them for a set of 50 series tires. TireRack customer service is the sh*t.

Comment

15 inch 5th gen accord wheels. w00t

Comment

im riding on 15s and its seams fine...but 16 look a lil better and it gives you the ability to upgrade to a bigger rotor down the road. 17 are like pimp daddy rims...just for looks and not performance. the bigger the rim the slower the car will be. thats why my car can keep up with the 17 inch Vtec cars.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
                    5 speed(152,222) (2-2-08)
                    112 WHP and 115.16 torque

Comment

17s screw up your mpg. and throw off your speedometer.

Comment

Originally posted by ikayto
                        17s screw up your mpg. and throw off your speedometer.

you have to get matching tires...i think for you guys its like 215/45/17s please correct it if im wrong.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
                        5 speed(152,222) (2-2-08)
                        112 WHP and 115.16 torque

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode
                          Well, primary differences, of course, are weight and appearance.

A while back when I was looking into buying rims, I was torn between 16" and 17" rims as well. I wanted ultralight rims, of course, but I loved the look of 17" rims. As you can tell by my member's ride page, I went with the 17s.

I was initially thinking I'd go with rota 17" rims for their decent weight and looks, but I realized that for the price of 17" rotas ($600-$800), I could get a decent pair of daily driver 17s and then get a lightweight pair of 15s for harder use. I could run cheaper, less aggressive tires on the 17s and run stickier tires on the 15s. Also, since 15" sticky tires are quite a bit cheaper than 17" sticky tires, buying two sets of tires ends up not being too much more expensive. Finally, the daily driver 17" rims with the less aggressive tire tread wear longer, so I don't go through my valuable grippy tires.

I get a fair number of compliments for my 17s, and I know lightweight 15s would be more effective than rota 17s or even 16s, so I'm happy.
                          Wow, thats a great idea. I will be doing the same.

92 Accord LX Coupe 5 Speed
                          175K Miles

Comment

I was thinking about the 16's because I like the tires being thicker. The rims I was looking at only come in 17's and higher. Maybe I should just get the 16's since they look the same just a different color and paint it.
                            [IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/akona21/cb2-2.jpg[/IMG

Comment

I got 15's and i love em.

Comment

Working...
                              X