Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

bunkaccord, the intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bunkaccord, the intro

Hey everyone, I'm new to the group, just wanted to say hi and tell you a little about me and my CB7

I got into Hondas back in 1998 when I got my first car, a 1990 CRX HF. I've been hooked ever since. I've probably owed about 35 Honda's since then. a lot of them have just been cars that I've bought, fixed a few things and re-sold. Towards the end of my time into EF's, I was running various F series engine swaps (f22a, f23's) and even an F2d turbo wagovan. My latest car, I decided I wanted something a *little* more comfortable than an EF. Since the Accords come with the F series engines I had grown so fond of, the CB7 was a natural choice.

I picked up my CB7 off craigslist about a year and a half ago. I had been checking craigslist a few times a day for about a month, just waiting for what I wanted to pop up. I was after a: 90-93 ex coupe with a manual and minimal rust. Preferably one with a bad engine. Lucky me, I found exactly what I was looking for. $500 and a big tow bill later, it was mine.

The goal with the build initially was a clean, completely stock in appearance car that could comfortably commute or even road trip, but something that would also be a kick in the pants when you wanted it. My current setup is a stock f23 bottom end from an 02 accord, stock f22a6 head, ported h23 upper plenum with 68mm throttle body, and of course, the remote (rear) mount turbo setup. The rear mount turbo was something I have wanted to do for a long time. Mostly, I just wanted to see how well it would work on a 4cyl Honda. The result is that is works. It works very well. It runs a td05 DSM turbo at 10psi boost. It's fairly quiet, and if you keep your foot out of it, you'd think you were driving a completely stock accord. In terms of power, I haven't had it on a dyno, but it has exceeded all my expectations. Boost comes in at very low RPM, and makes good power all the way to 7k. Under the hood looks pretty much like stock, it even still uses the original cast exhaust manifold.

Beyond mechanical stuff, I'm also a painter. I'm a much better painter than I am mechanic. I used to paint cars for a living, but now it's more of a side hobby. Well, that's more than enough about me at once. I haven't posted on a forum in years, so hopefully I added that picture right. I'll be looking through the forum and helping people out where I can.

You are officially the first person here to have a rear mount turbo setup. I love it!

Do you have an intercooler, or do you just rely on the lengthy charge pipe to cool the charge sufficiently?

Comment

Awesome, would love to see more pics of this set up, please. Were you inspired by the STS Turbo kits?

Hey deev, theirs a CTSV kit.

Last edited by Tishock; 05-19-2015, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I know, I've drooled over it many a time!

Rear mount turbo is such a great sleeper setup. Set it up right, and anyone looking under the hood will see what appears to be a stock engine with a CAI. I'm sure there are drawbacks after a certain point, but for a nice bump in power for a street setup, I really like the idea!

Comment

Thanks guys, never know the reaction it's going to get. No intercooler so far, just the 10 feet of aluminum pipe. I really studied the sts kits, along with lots of custom one off setups. I'm using an STS oil pump on mine. They actually refused to sell me one for my project, I got mine used. I was worried about spool time, so I went really conservative with exhaust and turbo sizing. To the point that I now want to go bigger on everything. To give you an idea, I can get full boost at 2,800 rpm in 5th gear. Even with tall f22 gearing, there's no need to downshift to pass.

Comment

That's cool, welcome to the club! Is there a benefit to having a remote turbo aside from the sleeper thing? I'm not really into turbocharging, so my knowledge there is lacking. Looks like if anything you would need to run the same turbine harder compared to a more traditional header-mount, but again call me John Snow.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I'd think the only real benefit would be to avoid the hassle of cramming everything into the relatively cramped engine bay. Spool time might become an issue once things go larger, but it may not really be a big deal.

What's the benefit to using the STS pump? Higher pressure to be able to pump oil all the way to the back of the car?

Also, how loud is it with the turbo in place of a muffler?

Comment

Life deev said, the main benefit is space. It's nice having just the engine under the hood, then the turbo being it's own thing in the rear. If I ever want to swap the turbo, it would take about 15 minutes. The oil pump is just for sending oil back to the engine. The engines has enough oil pressure to feed the turbo, but since it can't gravity drain like normal, the scavenging pump pushes the return oil back to the valve cover. Loudness level, it's pretty tame. Definitely louder than stock, but a lot quieter than most. Lots of turbo whistle at any amount of throttle and any rpm

Comment

My jaw just walked away. Too cool.

Comment

Nice.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by bunkaccord View Post
                      Life deev said, the main benefit is space. It's nice having just the engine under the hood, then the turbo being it's own thing in the rear. If I ever want to swap the turbo, it would take about 15 minutes. The oil pump is just for sending oil back to the engine. The engines has enough oil pressure to feed the turbo, but since it can't gravity drain like normal, the scavenging pump pushes the return oil back to the valve cover. Loudness level, it's pretty tame. Definitely louder than stock, but a lot quieter than most. Lots of turbo whistle at any amount of throttle and any rpm
                      That's awesome. I wonder if a small muffler tacked onto the end there would make it near-stock... and perhaps even hide the turbo.

So the oil pump is a secondary pump just for the turbo? Not a replacement for the engine's pump? Sounds simple enough.

Comment

Welcome and congrats on the rear mount turbo!

Comment

Thanks again for the welcome. Correct, the pump is only used to return the oil to the engine (valve cover). The oil feed to the turbo is just like a normal setup, except the feed line is about 11 feet long vs. 3 feet. I don't have any room post turbo for a muffler. I plan on adding a long resonator at the center of the car to bring noise down even more. I've also thought about doing a pulse chamber system, but that will require a lot of trial and error to make functional. A pulse chamber will effectively cancel out resonate frequencies, but size, length, placement will dictate the rpm range where it will have the effect. I won't go that route unless the center resonator alone doesn't get it to the sound level/tone I'm after. I also want to add, that this setup was really done just to have something fun to tinker with. Though it does have some unique advantages, I'll never attempt to sell anyone on the idea that a remote system is "better" than a traditional. Currently, I estimate that I'm at approx 215-235 hp. With the next wave of changes, I don't see 300 being out of the question.

Comment

I'd imagine up to 300whp would be doable without any significant sacrifices.

And yeah, I suppose you're right. Looking at the diameter of that pipe, I don't imagine a muffler would do anything good. It'd likely cause a major restriction, if you could manage to get one on at all.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                              My jaw just walked away. Too cool.
                              elcome to the forum man!! this is sick!!!! My dream is having my car turbo but I do NOT want to eliminate my a/c!! this must be fun to drive!! enjoy and keep up the good work!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X