Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

"knock" at 1100rpm ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"knock" at 1100rpm ?

Just noticed something funny, my car is "knocking" when its started.
    As with normal hondas, when I fire it up after its set for 24 hours with no operation it goes to 1100-1500rpm's to "warm itself up". During this period it sounds as if its KNOCKING that I've never noticed before.

Once its up to temp, and idles at its normal idle of 750rpm I don't hear it.

Only thing I've done recently is run a tank of shell v-power 93 octane through her. Switch back to 89 octane?

I could be making this up, but I'm 80% certain I never heard it before. Maybe its time to go back to 10w30 motor oil. Currently its using 5w30 with 228K on her. Thicker oil maybe needed?
    Say 10w30 summer time, 5w30 winter time.
    Last edited by 90Haccord; 08-07-2008, 07:18 PM.
    90 accord EX automatic F22A4 232,500
    DIY ram intake
    0gauge/4gauge BIG 3
    stock alt rewound to 120amps
    optima orange top 830cca 1030ca
    fully synthetic valvoline "Max Life" 5w30

Other rides:
    2004 Jeep Liberty v6
    2001 Honda civic ex coupe 1.7 vtec

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.
    Meh, not feeling the honda game anymore.
    MY CAR IS SOLD!!!

Comment

Valves probably need to be adjusted or just are noisy
      wat?

Comment

It would help if you could get us a sound file to hear. Trying to diagnose a described noise is nearly impossible. What you consider a knock, I might describe as a solid tap and someone else might call a rattle.

Comment

There's no reason to run anything more than 87 octane on a stock engine. The octane rating means nothing in that case, other than the fact that you're wasting your money.

Feel your spark plug wires when it's knocking. See if you can feel the knocking in any of them. If so, you may have damaged plug threas. Just a shot in the dark.

Comment

Piston slap?

I can't see it likely to be octane if it didn't 'knock' before on that fuel but does now. Maybe it's to do with piston / bore wear and the thinner oil you're now using?

Could be (?) cold (and worn) pistons being smaller diamater (before they expand with heat and become 'tighter' in the bores) rocking in the bores causing the 'knocking' sound (a kind of rattling?). This would be 'piston slap'.

The thinner oil (when cold) may be providing less of a 'cushion' between the pistons and bores so the noise made by 'rocking' pistons may be more evident than with a thicker oil (i.e. an oil that is thicker at colder temps as a 10W will be compared to a 5W).

???
            Last edited by johnl; 08-08-2008, 12:28 AM.
            Regards from Oz,
            John.

Comment

can you feel the knocking also or just hear it? I'd first go out and adjust your valve clearance. Its supposed to be checked every 15K miles, could just be the tapping possibly?

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I don't feel anything, its just a slight "tap" but I'm sure it wasn't there before. Will try to get a video tomorrow, hell it could just be in my head. Although I'm pretty sure its a new sound.

Spark plug wires are brand new(NGK blue's)
                Spark plugs are brand new (NGK v-power $1.59 at autozone)

I have no idea how to do a valve adjustment, what does it generally cost?
                Last edited by 90Haccord; 08-08-2008, 01:47 AM.
                90 accord EX automatic F22A4 232,500
                DIY ram intake
                0gauge/4gauge BIG 3
                stock alt rewound to 120amps
                optima orange top 830cca 1030ca
                fully synthetic valvoline "Max Life" 5w30

Other rides:
                2004 Jeep Liberty v6
                2001 Honda civic ex coupe 1.7 vtec

Comment

i think ur motor is going bad...mine would do that when i would turn it on and it would go away...next thing i know..its got worse and my motor messed up..i ran it without oil..id never refill it cuz it would leak oil alot

Comment

Originally posted by Lroy onDA scene View Post
                    i ran it without oil..id never refill it cuz it would leak oil alot
                    I suppose that's one way to reduce an oil leak....
                    Regards from Oz,
                    John.

Comment

Motors don't often "go bad" unless you do something stupid like let them run dry... Things fail, but drastic failure is usually due to negligence.

If it's a slight sound, it may just be valve tap. Have the valves adjusted, or learn how to do it yourself, and see if that fixes things. It may just be a normal noise that you've never noticed before. These engines are notorious for valve and injector chatter. Some is normal with age, some is just a sign of a necessary adjustment.

Piston slap is also a possibility, but that would require some pretty major wear to ve evident... though thin or low oil would increase that possibility, I would think.

However, changing from 10w30 to 5w30 shouldn't matter at this time of year. The first numer, the "w" weight... is the winter weight. That's the viscosity rating when the oil is cold. When the oil is warm, at about 100 degrees F, you're looking at 30 for both. It doesn't take an engine more than a couple minutes, maybe even less, to get up to normal operating temperature in the summer. That should have little or no bearing on your engine's operation.

Comment

Working...
                      X