Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Whats the worst that can happen...when you can't afford repairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the worst that can happen...when you can't afford repairs?

I thought a thread like this might be a good idea. Oftentimes, when I know something needs to be fixed on my car and I don't have the money for the part right away, the first thing I think of is..."If I don't fix it soon, whats the worst that can happen?"

I hope some of you might be able to add your own fears to this thread, but for now, these are the minor problems Im having and Im wondering how long I can let these repairs go.

-/ Power steering pump: General opinion is that its done. It makes a terrible noise and when the car is cold, first couple of turns are hard. I can hear it whining when I make wide turns as well.

-/ Wheel bearing: I have a wheel bearing in the back (I think its right side) that makes a noise when the wheels are turning.

Will either one of these things cause a major problem with my car if they dont get fixed soon? I think we might do the pump in a week or so but was going to let the wheel bearing go until spring if I can. I'm hoping the bearing wont cause a problem like my ball joint did while I was doing 120 km/hr on the highway...

The power steering pump - meh, it will get hard to turn, builds upper body strength.

Wheel bearing - it can heat up and weld itself together causing the wheel to lock unexpectedly, causing you to soil a pair of pants. It can heat up and shear itself, causing the wheel to break free and pass you, that corner of the car to drop to the ground, gouging the pavement, throwing a fireworks display of sparks and causing you to soil a pair of pants. It could last through the winter, but I would get it fixed immediately.

Comment

If you ask me...I would get the wheel bearing done first. My 110 lb gf can turn my heavy wagon with no power steering just fine. And if I have a spare power steering pump I can send you...just pay shipping and you will have a nice ps pump.

Comment

Ummmmmm......the wheel bearing I would definitely look into. The power steering you could just get rid of though. I'm really not too sure about how important the ps or ac and stuff like that is to you though. You may be able to get away with taking the bearings out, cleaning them, and putting some new grease in them. I really don't know. The power steering would make it hard to turn eventually if it went out but you could always go to a junkyard. The wheel bearing on the other hand........might make life alot more expensive than it is already. Then again I could be completely wrong.

Comment

^yup, w/b 1st, the p/s pump can be done anytime, pretty straight-forward.

Comment

If the power steering pump fails, you'll just have to work much harder at turning the wheel to steer the car... which isn't really too hard when the car is rolling, the Accord isn't a very heavy car. Cars have only had power steering as a standard feature for about the last 30 years or so. My 1981 Civic didn't have power steering.

As for the wheel bearing, that is more serious... for about how long has it been bad? Bad wheel bearings make a constant loud 'hummm' as you drive... it almost sounds as though you have a propeller plane flying right above your car. When they're getting close to the end, the sound becomes unbearable. If they've been humming for a while now and/or getting louder... I'd have them replaced very soon. When the wheel bearings go, the wheel can seize or the wheel/hub depart from the car.

I generally have things fixed as they break on my cars... otherwise, things start to pile up and you'll find yourself buried and not knowing where to begin. Maintaining/repairing the car is a lot easier when you resolve issues as they pop up, rather than ignoring them. I am aware that often times it's hard to make ends meet and car maintenance/repairs have to take a back burner to more important things... in which case, holding off on the repair depends strongly on what the problem is. You can drive for years with minor/moderate fluid leaks so long as you keep tabs on your fluid levels. I find that a lot of issues with the Accords are generally things that don't require immediate repair. In my experience, you will usually know when your car isn't safe to drive...
            Last edited by ItsaHonda; 11-24-2008, 09:23 PM.
            1990 Honda Accord LX coupe
            F22
            116,xxx miles

1989 Honda Accord LX sedan
            A20
            177,xxx miles

1992 Cadillac Allante
            4.5L V8
            70,xxx miles

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
              wheel to break free and pass you, that corner of the car to drop to the ground, gouging the pavement, throwing a fireworks display of sparks
              happened to me didnt soil my pants
              it was more like wtf just happened
              it was loose lug nuts that did it

my car makes a loud whining noise which is probably the ps pump but i have no problem steering at all
              Last edited by dlatino; 11-24-2008, 09:32 PM.

PSN: DJ-dlatino
              My ride
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=140370

Comment

My wife's CB7 has always had bad bearings in the front. It makes this fucking LOUD BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR sound, especially when going fast. It's a little less loud when the wheels are ABSOLUTELY straight. But you turn them slightly and it's louder than fuck. We've had the car for 2 years now....they've yet to seize. Doesn't mean they won't...I KNOW they will.

We just had the front brakes done too...new rotors/pads and I told the fucknuts to change the bearings. They said they did. Well I took it for a short drive, went back and blew my top....they refunded me about $75 since they didn't do the job. Supposedly they didn't have them in stock and they forgot to take that charge off. Assholes. Now I gotta tear the brakes apart and do the fucking bearings in the cold ass winter.
                VIP Status.

Comment

Originally posted by 92vig View Post
                  My wife's CB7 has always had bad bearings in the front. It makes this fucking LOUD BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR sound, especially when going fast. It's a little less loud when the wheels are ABSOLUTELY straight. But you turn them slightly and it's louder than fuck. We've had the car for 2 years now....they've yet to seize. Doesn't mean they won't...I KNOW they will.

We just had the front brakes done too...new rotors/pads and I told the fucknuts to change the bearings. They said they did. Well I took it for a short drive, went back and blew my top....they refunded me about $75 since they didn't do the job. Supposedly they didn't have them in stock and they forgot to take that charge off. Assholes. Now I gotta tear the brakes apart and do the fucking bearings in the cold ass winter.
                  Thats f*&ked up. I'd make them do it. Pressing those bearings are a bitch. Especially in the cold.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116662

Comment

i havent had power steering in a while. no biggie. wheel bearings and ball joints are necessities though. dont put those off for your safety and the safety of others.

Comment

Originally posted by Wutlis View Post
                      Thats f*&ked up. I'd make them do it. Pressing those bearings are a bitch. Especially in the cold.
                      I'm hoping they'll last for the winter, but I really don't want to risk her safety. I don't have much downtime to do it either so...........
                      VIP Status.

Comment

if you cant do it then you should just drive as slowly, carefully, and little as possible.

Comment

Not to jack the thread or anything but what if my rack and pinion is bad? It leaks like a siv but the steering wheel doesn't lock or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by be3p067 View Post
                            Not to jack the thread or anything but what if my rack and pinion is bad? It leaks like a siv but the steering wheel doesn't lock or anything.
                            No problem...I started this thread for everyone who cant afford repairs and wants to know whats the worst they can expect.

Thanks for the comments and replies guys. Some of you are really funny....lol. Actually, the bearing isnt all that noisy (nowhere near loud and unbearable yet...in fact, I have to listen carefully - and turn down the sound system - to hear it). I was hoping to wait until spring.

Comment

So, My friend told me that the wheel bearing could be my issue as well, its not to loud when going fast, but when I am turning left or right i hear a very loud bumping/clicking noise coming from the front, it only happens when I am accelerating around a corner though, and not when im coasting around a corner? I have replaced both axles, and it still does this?
                              Can I get a Hell Yeah!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X