Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car safety checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gnyce09 View Post
    i think that sewing pin is qonna work i been havin problems with that my self
    If the pin method doesn't work for the washer jet, you can also disconnect the tube from the nozzle and blow compressed air backwards through the jet (i.e blow from where you would put the pin in)

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I'd also pull the cap off the dist. and check for cracks and look at the rotor. I've had a dist. cap break on me one time in the middle of no were and that was a good 14 mile walk I'd never want to do again. Also pull the timing belt cover and the neg battery termal and rotate the motor and check the belt for any cracks or cuts. Check the cv boots and make sure they are good, also drive really slow in a parking lot and make sharp turns both ways and listen for clicks.
      Thats all I got.
      "Cause hooking vtec to a switch is stupid. Why not hook vtec up to a clapper and just slap your self in the face everytime you race."

Comment

Originally posted by 4gen5thtime View Post
        I'd also pull the cap off the dist. and check for cracks and look at the rotor. I've had a dist. cap break on me one time in the middle of no were and that was a good 14 mile walk I'd never want to do again. Also pull the timing belt cover and the neg battery termal and rotate the motor and check the belt for any cracks or cuts. Check the cv boots and make sure they are good, also drive really slow in a parking lot and make sharp turns both ways and listen for clicks.
        Thats all I got.
        Dizzy and rotor are really a separate topic, but I will add in the CV joints when I get a chance

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

This thread should help novice cb7 members. This is an awesome thread.
          Bisimoto Engineering
          1) Call 1-888-9BC-MOTO(888-922-6686 ext. 1) Mon-Fri 9am-6pm PST
          2) Email me, robert@bisimoto.com
          3) Contact me on AIM, robert@bisimoto.com

Comment

Originally posted by be3p067 View Post
            You forgot one major major thing. Make sure your handbrake is working and adjusted properly. God forbid you lose your brakes and your handbrake cable snaps because it's the first time you've ever checked it.
            This are true words of wisdom!
            Bisimoto Engineering
            1) Call 1-888-9BC-MOTO(888-922-6686 ext. 1) Mon-Fri 9am-6pm PST
            2) Email me, robert@bisimoto.com
            3) Contact me on AIM, robert@bisimoto.com

Comment

so i drove the car last night back and forth from work but my wife gives me a call on her way to work and says hey the car is acting funny. Well i said turn around and come get the other vehicle, she does. I did what you said and there was a crap ton of give in the front passenger tire so Im puting in new tierods today. What else should i check while im doing that??
              Time to Fix it Up

Comment

Originally posted by kkaiser7901 View Post
                so i drove the car last night back and forth from work but my wife gives me a call on her way to work and says hey the car is acting funny. Well i said turn around and come get the other vehicle, she does. I did what you said and there was a crap ton of give in the front passenger tire so Im puting in new tierods today. What else should i check while im doing that??
                Do the whole check, then you can be sure of everything else as well

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Originally posted by 4gen5thtime View Post
                  I'd also pull the cap off the dist. and check for cracks and look at the rotor. I've had a dist. cap break on me one time in the middle of no were and that was a good 14 mile walk I'd never want to do again. Also pull the timing belt cover and the neg battery termal and rotate the motor and check the belt for any cracks or cuts.
                  my biggest fear

is this covered in detail anywhere?

Comment

great write up!!!! i went and did the checks right away! you were very thorough and the safety checks really helped! thanks!

Comment

you know, a lot of times, we take safety for granted.

I have a 91, and when I get on my other car, I forget to put on my seatbealt because they are automatic on the CB7 =-p.. lol makes me laugh

Comment

hope i am not overstepping my boundaries bumping this but it seems like its time to hit page 1 again

very very nice write up. will be checking everything this weekend probably. thanks for the time and effort you put into this. it makes everyone safer(assuming they use it) and reminds everyone about preventative maintenance
                        Parts For Sale
                        BIG Thanks to HondaFan81 for all your help!!

Comment

This is not exactly a safety check but I recommend pulling off the side skirts once a year to examine the area underneath for rust. I think I could have saved about 600 bucks in body work by catching rusting before it got bad and applying rust converter if I had thought to do this every year.

The way to do it is to pry all the plastic screws in expansion sleeves out of the bottom of the skirt all along the length of it (use a trim removal tool or a small, thin metal prybar with a "v" at the working end to fit around the fastener's shaft--insert the prying device directly around the fastener, by inserting the prying device between the skirt and the metal of the car's side rail).
                          Then remove the several metal screws and washers that attach the side skirt from the front wheelwell.

Now pull the whole skirt forwards about an inch or two inches towards the front wheel wheel to free it from the several side clips without breaking them.

Now look at the glory of your under-side-skirt area. Make sure all drainage holes are free. Make sure all clip mounting holes are still sealed watertight, and if not apply silicone sealant. And decide and make plans about what (if anything) to do about any rust you see. Clean everything up before you reinstall the skirt and, ideally, apply a coat of wax to help protect the area.

You can usually reuse the plastic screws and expander sleeves by removing the screws from the sleeves once they are off the vehicle and then carefully reshaping and reinserting the sleeves in the mounting holes, then inserting the screws to finish the mounting job. If the expansion sleeves are too wambly to reinsert, us a short length of stiff wire or a nail inside of them and push them into the mounting holes with that (you may need to use a vise grip to hold onto the wire or nail) , then finish off with the plastic screw.
                          Last edited by batever; 09-05-2010, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Good stuff! My hand break doesn't work but in working on that...

Comment

I have the highest HP Accord on the site ..... Sherrodsmit22

Comment

Wow... you dug up a 5 month old thread to say something COMPLETELY unrelated to the topic at hand...

I don't know about the highest horsepower, but you certainly are in the running for the lowest IQ! Way to go, genius!

Comment

Working...
                                X