Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Identifying A Camshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identifying A Camshaft

The camshaft originally in my car when i bought it failed recently. It broke at the end where the camshaft is bolted on. Do OEM Honda cams have significant markings or anything like that? Im trying to find out if its a stockie or not. The car is a 90, has a A4 engine, 5spd. The distributor is a Hitachi item, sourced from a 94 or 95 ex apparently? ill post up pix asap. thanks for ur help guys...

Last edited by trouty; 08-12-2010, 11:46 AM.

There may be a marking on the end by the distributor? Like 272 or something? I'm not 100% sure. I'm sure someone will chime in and confirm this.

Comment

that pic with the RC is the distributor end...no numbers...the cam gear end has two letters. opposite each other on the last journal...a raised letter G on one side...a engraved letter R on the other..

Comment

The only thing I could find regarding the RC stamp was a post on PreludePower.com regarding B21 cams.

I got nothing from the post other than the fact that OEM Honda cams do indeed seem to be stamped with RC (as well as RD, RE, etc... the info as to what that meant was rather inconclusive in that thread.)

So, based on that, I'm quite sure you have a stockie on your hands.

Comment

thanks...after this camshaft broke, i swapped it out with a cam from a 92 f22a1...wouldnt work wid the hitachi distributor..had to swap those as well...guess what i wanna know is can anything from the cd5s with sohc f22s that makes power be swapped on?

Comment

What do you mean "that makes power"?

The F22B1 was VTEC, so that cam won't do much, and the F22B2 only made 130hp, so that won't help either. Plus, those engines sucked.

If you want an upgrade, get an F22A6 camshaft. And use an F22A distributor.

Comment

yea just to a swap with the A6 cam and distrubuter

Comment

Originally posted by Monster2cb7 View Post
                Mimicking what I say just to get your post count up is a very bad idea...

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

The F22B1 was VTEC, so that cam won't do much, and the F22B2 only made 130hp, so that won't help either. Plus, those engines sucked.

hey my cd5 is a good car deeve! lol

nah i still agree they were built for economy, not power. thats why im swapping an f22a4 head on. the b2 head is on its last legs with me. their ports are half the size of the f22ax heads and they flow like sugary honey. as deeve said get an a6 cam and f22a distributor, also go for the pt6 ecu for the a6 cam, keep the f22a4 exhaust manifold, get an f22a6 intake manifold or even an h23 IM, you can use the h23 plenum on the a6 runners if you like. h23 TB. this will get you going again and add a nice little burp of power.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster2cb7 View Post
                    Mimicking what I say just to get your post count up is a very bad idea...
                    Deev is somewhat of a wizard, he's heard it all, and has the power at his finger tips... Be carefull.

To the OP, the only thing i can think of is my Delta 272 cam says "272" on the distributor side, on one of the half moon parts that goes into the dizzy, other than that, i dont think you'l have luck with identifying the stock one with numbers, etc.

Comment

Yeah, the thread on PreludePower that I found mentioned that stamp, plus a few other similar ones that I mentioned above. They really couldn't figure out exactly what the stamps meant.

All I got from that is that a stock Honda camshaft DOES have that stamp on it.
                      If the Delta regrinds have the the grind stamped on them (260, 272, 282...), then that would likely be present as well, as they're ground on stock cams.

Comment

my bad guys it sez 3A on the distributor end

Comment

Yeah, that's right, 3A is A1/A4 cam, 4B is the F22A6 cam. I know all JDM F22A's are set up like F22A6's, so I'd imagine all JDM F22A's have the 4B cam too.

Comment

putting a f22a6 camshaft on a f22a1, what else do I need to do? do I need the ecu from the f22a6? should I retune? this is on a prelude S 1993

Comment

The F22A6 camshaft and F22A6 intake manifold are upgrades for your F22A1. The PT6 ECU is required to take full advantage of those things. However, with all the F22A6 parts, you're only going to gain 5hp over your F22A1.

Comment

Working...
                              X