Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Is it a good idea to spray your engine with wd-40?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it a good idea to spray your engine with wd-40?

My friend told me this one. His logic seemed sound. Rust prevention on all your metals, bolts will be easier to remove, belt conditioner. Just coat everything.

Like I said, in theory it sounds good, but I'm hesitant to try it.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

i knew some people that used to do that. it's ok as long as it doesn't puddle up anywhere. a puddle of wd-40 in the right spot could combust. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Rust prevention is the purpose of WD-40.

However, hosing down your entire engine with it might cause problems. It will most certainly cause dirt to stick to the engine.

Just maintain your car properly. Keep an eye on anything tha may rust, and replace it as it starts to. That would be a much better solution than keeping a layer of grease on every rustable surface.

Comment

It traps heat in from what I was told. I sprayed my black radiator down with it to shine it up. A day later the car overheated and popped the head gasket. Could be a coincedence. But I wont do it again to find out. Just keep your car and motor clean and no worries.
        http://WWW.DUBWISE.NET

My Job!

9DUBWISE 92 LXhttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=142580

RHD ITR conversionhttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=172577

Comment

rust prevention? it's an aluminum engine...
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I assume he's referring to other parts attached to the engine that DO rust... though yeah, I forgot to say that myself...

Aluminum does oxidize, and WD-40 will probably help prevent that as well, but it won't rust like iron.

Comment

Kinda the same topic, can you power-wash your engine?
              MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

If you cover up all electrical components that could be damaged by water, yes.

Comment

Hmm, what about actual engine cleaning products? I don't recall any names, but I think there was a foam type product.
                  MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Either way, you're hosing it down. Gotta cover the dizzy, alternator, etc...

Comment

Is there any danger of the block cracking?
                      MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

From washing it?

Do you drive in the rain?

No, it will not crack. Though I wouldn't suggest washing a hot engine anyway, even if it's just because you may injure yourself on hot parts. I suppose applying very cold water to a fully warmed exhaust manifold or header COULD cause it to crack, but that's about it. You're not going to crack your block by washing it.

Comment

My friend cracked his lawnmower block by washing it, When I asked around the general consensus was washing a hot engine is bad. I guess I never thought about the rain. Or the snow.
                          MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I was cleaning my engine bay yesterday and I used WD-40 to degrease the valve cover. I also used it to clean oily dirty grime of of certain things, like the PS pump and AC compressor. I use it sparingly though, I dont go spraying it all over the place.

1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan, 205K, DD once again

Comment

i heard of someone taking there motorcycle to a self-serve car wash, hit it with the cold water from the hose and cracking the block.....

I wouldn't recommend washing a hot engine.
                              These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Working...
                              X