Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Rear main seal replacement question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear main seal replacement question

I'm replacing my clutch, and I'm going to change the rear main tomorrow. Getting my flywheel resurfaced today. Everything I have read says to remove the oil pan and the seal holder, install the seal into holder then re install. Is removing the seal holder necessary or can it be done in the car? My oil pan is not leaking. I want to replace the rear main seal be cause it's good insurance against future problems and not doing it would be foolish.
    Thanks

Nope, you can remove and reinstall without removing the end cap. If this is your first time with a main seal:

Pack some axle grease around the backside of the seal to hold the spring in there. Not a ton but enough to keep it from easily popping out.

Also, you MUST tap it in consistently, I found a piece of pvc that fit but a large seal kit will have the right tool also. You want to only put force on the very outer ring of the bearing, pushing on the inside or middle could damage it.
    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

I thought it might be possible, just wanted to know if it had been done without taking the seal holder out. I've replaced enough seals on production machinery and I've been wrenching on cars since I was 15 and that was a very looooong time ago. I'm finding Honda are quite different than MOPARS and Chevys. There are short cuts that allow a GOOD job to be done, I was just checking IF there was another way other than removing the seal holder.
      I wanted to order a Helms manual but with Christmas and ALL my extra cash going into my car. A timing belt, seals, Acc. drive belts and water pump two weeks ago and now a clutch and transmission swap it will have to wait a month or two.Thank you for the reply,be well.
      Merry Christmas

Comment

My 1st clutch I replaced just the RMS and not the holder assy. that the dealer offers, worked out very well. It dawned on me once I was in there how much extra work it would be to do the holder as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog 61 View Post
          I thought it might be possible, just wanted to know if it had been done without taking the seal holder out. I've replaced enough seals on production machinery and I've been wrenching on cars since I was 15 and that was a very looooong time ago. I'm finding Honda are quite different than MOPARS and Chevys. There are short cuts that allow a GOOD job to be done, I was just checking IF there was another way other than removing the seal holder.
          I wanted to order a Helms manual but with Christmas and ALL my extra cash going into my car. A timing belt, seals, Acc. drive belts and water pump two weeks ago and now a clutch and transmission swap it will have to wait a month or two.Thank you for the reply,be well.
          Merry Christmas
          i was able to do the rear main seal without removing the seal holder on every honda but on a VW...i had to pull the holder off and use a press. it was a stiffy.
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I was thinking that most of the info I was finding, people were probably just repeating the manual of what ever manual was at hand. I Was looking for REAL hands on info from other enthusiasts like myself. However I am a NEWBE when it comes to hondas.
            I really didn't want to end up in the position of I must repair this or else, but I have had a lot of fun doing the repairs and learning new thingsI have got the seal driver, no problem it'll be a walk in the park

Comment

Sounds like you know a bit about mechanic work so you'll be fine, just R&R like most other seals. In general I think Hondas are pretty easy to work on and you'll learn to appreciate their simplicity.
              My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Yeah, first car I ever turned a wrench on was a 1964 Galaxy 500 back about 1972. My first car was a 1968 coronet 440 small block. Bought my first 69 charger in 1976 for $600.00 damn nice car too. Sold my 360 Dakota to buy my CB7, had lots of fun ever since. Got bored with the american stuff saw a lot of NICE Hondas and other JDM imports, thought I would give them a try

Comment

Working...
                X