Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How to remove the ECU connectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove the ECU connectors?

I got my TCU out and going to do the capacitors replacement. I want to look inside the ECU as well. There are connector on the left side of the ECU and the cable is too short to turn it over. How many connectors are there on the ECU? Which way are the taps to remove them? Are the taps in between the ECU and the protective plate? Any good tips on removing them without damaging the wires? The wires are pretty small and I don't want to damage any of them.
    Any pics would be nice.
    Thanks.

The ecu typically has 3 plugs. Its as easy to disconnect as the tcu. There are 4 philips screws that hold the top and bottom covers on. As long as your not trying to remove the circuit board, it shouldn't be any more complicated then outlined.
    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Yes, same connectors at TCU. They are a bit stiff, but can be done by hand. Just make sure you clear out the other components to get good access to connectors.

Do not pull on the wires, asking for future problems.
      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
        The ecu typically has 3 plugs. Its as easy to disconnect as the tcu. There are 4 philips screws that hold the top and bottom covers on. As long as your not trying to remove the circuit board, it shouldn't be any more complicated then outlined.
        I guess it's hard to get to because it's the left side and I can't get my hand on it.

Comment

You need a little tiny screwdriver to help wiggle the connector out. Don't pull on the wires! Just did this-it takes some finesse.
          90 Accord Ex, F22A4. Slight fire damage.

Comment

Originally posted by H.M. View Post
            You need a little tiny screwdriver to help wiggle the connector out. Don't pull on the wires! Just did this-it takes some finesse.
            Do you need the little tiny screwdriver to push on the tabs or to remove the plugs? How do you approach the unit to get access to it? My center console is in the way and barely any room to put my hand in to remove them. Why don't they give the cables a little more slack? Lol.
            Thanks.

Comment

Push the tabs in by hand and wiggle the connectors out by pushing on the screwdriver.

Don't try this after you've been smoking meth, fighting with your wife or are short on time. It will take a little patience and finesse.
              90 Accord Ex, F22A4. Slight fire damage.

Comment

Originally posted by H.M. View Post
                Push the tabs in by hand and wiggle the connectors out by pushing on the screwdriver.

Don't try this after you've been smoking meth, fighting with your wife or are short on time. It will take a little patience and finesse.
                Lol. I don't do any of that drug or smoke, but fight with the wife once in a while. I left it in until tomorrow when there's more light. I am replacing the capacitors in my TCU. I replaced the 2 bigs one, the other 3 small ones will be tomorrow. Now it's dinner and the Lakers game.
                I'll probably won't mess with the ECU as there's nothing wrong with it, until I get the P12.
                I wonder if they make extensions for the cables?
                Thanks guys.

Comment

It's def. hardest to get out the first time when it's bolted to the plate, the connectors are very hard to get to. Even harder on a 90-91 where the carpet is connected behind the dash where the SRS crap is on a 92-93. On my 93 when I went to a chipped p06 ecu (which will not directly bolt to the plate) I simply left the ecu right on the floor cushioned w/ a rag and would slip the plate over the 4 studs but wouldn't bolt those either since for awhile I was constantly taking the ecu out of the car. It def. would've been nice if they made those wires longer for better serviceability.

Comment

I remember doing this on my car and it was a pain at first. Never pull on the bare wires, pull by the plastic harness itself and push down on the pin. If u haven't removed the metal plate that covers both the ecu and tcu I recommend removing it( just a couple 10 mm deep socket bolts) to make it easier for u. It can be pretty hard to disconnect them by hand so I used a flat head screw driver to help my pry out the harness while pushing down on the tab and pulling by the harness itself. A flathead screwdriver is key.

Comment

Working...
                    X