Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

oil leak...my first post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for not getting back with you yesterday, I had some out of town business to tend to.

Originally posted by greenquark View Post
    Great great great post. I will order the seal and replace it ...nice project!

Should I order the gasket too?

To be on the safe side: How serious is to be driving as is now?

Cheers and thanks for the links!!!
    What gasket are you referring to? There is only 2 o-rings and one seal regarding the dizzy. Dizzy cap o-ring, the o-ring you already replaced and the seal you just ordered. As for the dizzy cap seal you will get one with a new dizzy cap which is pretty much a necessity at the point where you are at along with the dizzy rotor. Parts stores will have both and are good to use, you don't need anything special like OEM or anything. I advise you to change the dizzy rotor because you will likely have a little bit of a tough time removing yours when you go to replace the seal and it's not uncommon to damage them when removing.

I like Autozone myself, the cap is $16 and the rotor is $7.

There is nothing unsafe about driving it in its current condition as long as you check the oil very frequently. The amount of oil you are losing is minimal but I would still check it every time before you get in it to go somewhere. Just to be safe.

You are very welcome and that second DIY should serve you very well.

I was looking around for the seal in Montreal, Canada. No one has it. I even called honda dealer, they don;t have it either... just for kicks I asked them how much a dizzy is....600 BUCKS....insane.

I guess I will order it online

edit: I just ordered on ebay...the only place on earth to find this :/
    They are tough to find. I know the Honda dealers here have them and I find it odd that the one you went to didn't have it.

Let me know how it goes!

Comment

Ok,

When I say gasket I was referring to the gasket tha goes between the dizzy cap and the metal part ...this:

So I already ordered the oil seal . I get the rotor , the distributor cap (plastic part) and I am good to go?

Another silly question: IS there any seal/gasket that goes between dizzy and engine? Where the dizzy goes into the engine block? I was wondering how "sealed" might get between the two metallic surfaces without any rubber/seal ?

PS: We don't have autozone around here( montreal) but we have NAPA

Comment

That "gasket" or seal, which ever you want to call it generally comes with the cap but can be purchased separately as well. Being as it's been oil saturated likely for some time I recommend replacing it as well. Some people don't even use them but I always have as it helps (or I believe it to) prevent moisture from getting inside the dizzy.

Yes you get those three items (the dizzy cap seal or "gasket", the rotor and cap) and you are good to go distributor wise for quite some time.

As for your question:
        IS there any seal/gasket that goes between dizzy and engine? Where the dizzy goes into the engine block?
        That is the o-ring you said you replaced earlier if we understand each other correctly.

And NAPA has good parts as well. We have a few scattered about in my area as well.

Comment

Thanks for the answers

the o-ring yes I replaced ...I was wondering something else. If the o-ring is to prevent oil to go into the dizzy, how come oil is getting further than the o-ring location? and when you put the dizzy in , you tighten the dizzy to the engine with three screws (12 mm) . I see is metal against metal, At least I didn't see any rubber/seal between the dizzy and the engine. I was wondering if it is correct ?

Comment

Thanks for the answers

the o-ring yes I replaced ...I was wondering something else. If the o-ring is to prevent oil to go into the dizzy, how come oil is getting further than the o-ring location? and when you put the dizzy in , you tighten the dizzy to the engine with three screws (12 mm) . I see is metal against metal, At least I didn't see any rubber/seal between the dizzy and the engine. I was wondering if it is correct ?
            There should be an o-ring as seen here marked in green: EDIT... Hold on, Photobucket is being a piece of shit again.

FIXED

Last edited by H311RA151N; 08-28-2014, 10:39 PM.

Comment

yep, that is the one i changed twice...i took apart, the o ring was so brittle I thought it was a metallic ring, itried to put a new o-ring and didn;t fit ...i stretched it . when i realized about it, had to get another o-ring and replace it again. I have to say, at least in my case, the o-ring is thinner than the track in where it goes on.

Comment

yep, that is the one i changed twice...i took apart, the o ring was so brittle I thought it was a metallic ring, itried to put a new o-ring and didn;t fit ...i stretched it . when i realized about it, had to get another o-ring and replace it again. I have to say, at least in my case, the o-ring is thinner than the track in where it goes on.
                Yeah that could definitely cause a leak. Where did you get the o-ring from or have to found a better fitting one yet? If you have not put a proper fitting seal on yet I would do so as that could be part of the source of the leak. However if you found oil in your dizzy the seal is still bad, the seal your ordered to replace it.

Comment

I bought at Napa...it was the o-ring exact fit for that dizzy. Still, I noticed the o-ring was thinner... is it supposed to be the same width as the track it goes in?

In mine, the difference is noticeable.

Comment

I bought at Napa...it was the o-ring exact fit for that dizzy. Still, I noticed the o-ring was thinner... is it supposed to be the same width as the track it goes in?

In mine, the difference is noticeable.
                    No it's actually not an exact fit. It may seem a bit odd but that's the way it's designed.

Comment

Gasket Sealant

I agree with valve gasket, replace it with a new gasket or if you can tell if yours is still good, just when you install it back on use a gasket sealant on the sharp edges of the valve cover. Just dont put to much or you'll over due it. Hope this helps.

Comment

The valve gasket?

The valve cover gasket is not the issue as it has already been replaced.

And you never use any type of gasket sealant on a valve cover gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                          There should be an o-ring as seen here marked in green: EDIT... Hold on, Photobucket is being a piece of shit again.

FIXED
                          Man ,

Thank you for quite pointing out the importance of using the right screw driver. I replaced the inner seal on my dizzy. It took 1 1/2 to put it apart, and 15 minutes to put all back together.

First of all , waht is that back box that doesn;t show up in your pictures? Looks like an electrical transformer ( I circled it in the picture I am showing here). I had to take that out to take everything else. Well, the screw I marked with a square.
                          Even though I was extremely careful,I stripped it . It took me 45 minutes to take out, filing it down, being care not to crack the black box. I almost gave up . I have to unscrew those two cables connected to the black box, in order not to strip one of the three main screws .

then the rotor was stuck, At this point I was really stressed out

Once I took everything out, the inner seal was brittle and it was out of its place , almost half way into the axle towards the dizzy cap.

I replaced it, along with the o-ring, since it came with the seal.

Clean the area, and put everything back ...Crossed my finger and started the car. and it started with no problem

I cannot stress more the importance of not stripping those screws, they are a nightmare.

Thanks a lot .

Comment

You are very welcome! And my distributor is an external coil. That black box is the coil which is internal on some, yours included.

Yeah, they are very easy to strip. I'm very glad I was of help and that this worked out well for you!

Comment

Working...
                            X