Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Purchasing h22 rebuild kit?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    hmotors won't respond to an email. They never have. Call Steve midweek, like on a Wednesday. You'll get the best attention then (Tuesday is, or at least was, shipment day... hectic, and you'll be rushed off the phone quickly.)

    I got the full changeover myself, and as mentioned, many things were totally unneeded. You'll be using your Accord axles, mounts, fuel rail, etc... Still, getting an OBD1 H22A makes life a LOT easier when swapping.

    Buy any seals, gaskets, and bearings directly from Honda. Don't buy a "kit". You're just paying someone to assemble the parts for you. It's convenient, but pointless. As mentioned, any parts in a kit are likely going to be inferior parts. If they're quality parts, you'll be paying way too much. Most of the parts you'll be using are very important parts, and if they fail, you may do major damage to other important (and expensive) bits. Get your parts from Honda. The initial expense will hurt... but the peace of mind you'll get from using OEM parts will be worth it. Not to mention the fact that OEM parts are going to fit perfectly without any issues, whereas aftermarket parts can be a little off sometimes.

    www.hondaautomotiveparts.com is a good source for inexpensive parts. They often have the best prices you'll find, though some places will be better. Shipping can be stupid high at times... not sure why. All OEM stuff, though.






    Comment


      #17
      I like to look up the parts on Majestic Honda via the exploded diagrams, then take the Honda part numbers and plug them into eBay. Sometimes you can get good deals like this, I was able to get both IAB gaskets new OEM for about 7 bucks and the obscure little o-rings that usually have a bunch of interchanges, I got all my valve seals OEM for about 1$ a piece that way too (I guess Honda sells them in a 10 pack normally? The guy on ebay breaks them up and resells)
      Just a little tip

      I bought that Yonaka gasket set for 80 bucks total on ebay. I had some bunk valve seals and it really pissed me off because of the delay and added expense..but I installed my cylinder head the other day and I was surprised to see the head gasket was OEM, all the other seals have been ishno or timken and the ones i couldn't identify seemed to be good. 80 bucks is why I jumped on it, if it wasn't available I would have pieced it all together by part numbers.

      Comment


        #18
        Yonaka may make OEM replacement, but they don't make OEM parts. Not unless there's another company called Yonaka besides Yonaka Motorsports. If so, I'm not aware of that one.

        Any seal, gasket, or bearing that can cause major damage if it fails, or major hassle to replace, should ALWAYS be OEM. Rear main seal, head gasket, etc... The only time you should ever use anything that isn't OEM is if your build requires a part that functions differently, as long as you fully understand the function of the part and the level of quality of the aftermarket part.

        Using Majestic Honda for part numbers and searching elsewhere is a very good idea. Just be sure that the parts you get are actually that Honda part, and not just "replacement part for". I've seen some people selling cheap junk with the Honda part number in the ad.






        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          Yonaka may make OEM replacement, but they don't make OEM parts. Not unless there's another company called Yonaka besides Yonaka Motorsports. If so, I'm not aware of that one.

          Any seal, gasket, or bearing that can cause major damage if it fails, or major hassle to replace, should ALWAYS be OEM. Rear main seal, head gasket, etc... The only time you should ever use anything that isn't OEM is if your build requires a part that functions differently, as long as you fully understand the function of the part and the level of quality of the aftermarket part.

          Using Majestic Honda for part numbers and searching elsewhere is a very good idea. Just be sure that the parts you get are actually that Honda part, and not just "replacement part for". I've seen some people selling cheap junk with the Honda part number in the ad.
          With the seals & gaskets Im suspecting that Yonaka just sources them and sells the kit, Like youve said at a premium, their street price is ~250 bucks. 80 was a gamble and at the time I was still fresh to what was needed..if it was 250 when I found it I wouldve passed and made up my own "kit". Same with looking for hondas part numbers if the picture wasnt with the part in Honda's bag it was passed up, luckily there were a lot to choose from. All the bits and pieces I did this way actually were what was pictured (Like the IACV's weird 8 shaped o-ring..that things expensive otherwise!)
          Some of the other gaskets that weren't in the kit , like the throttle body to manifold where the OEM price I couldn't justify, after looking around I looked up the manufacturers reviews I believe mine was a victor reinz, it was a decent price and most people were saying it was quality and it was.
          I guess the moral is stick with OEM but you can cut some corners if you go about it smartly, but one just doesn't go out and buy the cheapest you can and expect everything to be good or last. I got my 80 dollars worth with the gasket set, the junk valve seals were the only thing bad, the OEM head gasket was really good (Im not endorsing yonaka, sets made up now might be made up differently) AT the very least dont skimp out on vital parts that are buried, a 20$ rear main seal is worth it if you dont have to dig it back out in 100 hours later to replace the 5 dollar deal of the day..throttle body gasket..sure why not save a buck or ten.

          Oh and another thing not to skimp on is the HondaBond!! Dont use permatex grey, its good, but compared to hondabond it sucks..The oem gasket maker was very easy to remove, permatex in my experience is not..for simplicity in repairs down the road. The little 17$ tube has lasted through the whole job too (got it at the dealership).
          Last edited by illinois_erik; 09-29-2014, 10:18 AM.

          Comment


            #20
            It wasn't that way with the D16Y8 set I seen. They were really sketchy looking. But it would be cool if that's what Yonaka was doing now. As long as it's all OEM equivalent stuff (like the brands Honda uses).
            Find me on YouTube
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx7...BeHuX87LzYChKA

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
              With the seals & gaskets Im suspecting that Yonaka just sources them and sells the kit, Like youve said at a premium, their street price is ~250 bucks. 80 was a gamble and at the time I was still fresh to what was needed..if it was 250 when I found it I wouldve passed and made up my own "kit". Same with looking for hondas part numbers if the picture wasnt with the part in Honda's bag it was passed up, luckily there were a lot to choose from. All the bits and pieces I did this way actually were what was pictured (Like the IACV's weird 8 shaped o-ring..that things expensive otherwise!)
              Some of the other gaskets that weren't in the kit , like the throttle body to manifold where the OEM price I couldn't justify, after looking around I looked up the manufacturers reviews I believe mine was a victor reinz, it was a decent price and most people were saying it was quality and it was.
              I guess the moral is stick with OEM but you can cut some corners if you go about it smartly, but one just doent go out and buy the cheapest you can and expect everything to be good or last. I got my 80 dollars worth with the gasket set, the junk valve seals was the only thing bad, the OEM head gasket was really good (Im not endorsing yonaka, sets made up now might be made up differently) AT the very least dont skimp out on vital parts that are buried, a 20$ rear main seal is worth it if you dont have to dig it back out in 100 hours later to replace the 5 dollar deal of the day..throttle body gasket..sure why not save a buck or ten.
              I can certainly agree with that.
              Even for things like the valve cover gasket, that are really just annoying if they leak (as long as you don't ignore it and let it continue for months...) cheaper parts can suffice.
              Things like the rear main seal, though... OEM is $20 (Majestic). $110 if you buy the cover with it.
              On Rockauto, the cheapest option is $3.






              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                It wasn't that way with the D16Y8 set I seen. They were really sketchy looking. But it would be cool if that's what Yonaka was doing now. As long as it's all OEM equivalent stuff (like the brands Honda uses).
                Best bet is to stay away lol

                Comment


                  #23
                  I would definitely let someone else be the guinea pig. I'm still curious though.

                  I myself stick with Ishino or OEM. That's stuff I know that works.
                  Find me on YouTube
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx7...BeHuX87LzYChKA

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                    I would definitely let someone else be the guinea pig. I'm still curious though.

                    I myself stick with Ishino or OEM. That's stuff I know that works.
                    Id probably go that route next time around, I didnt even know they had complete upper and lower sets, I started looking on dealer sites and they listed the complete sets as discontinued, also kinda why I went with the yamaka set

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X