Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Purchasing h22 rebuild kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing h22 rebuild kit?

Going to be doing a h22 swap soon and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions in a good place to purchase a rebuild kit? Any advice would be great.

Get the H22 first and find out what bearings you need.

Comment

a lot of times the rebuild kit includes generic brand parts and poor quality rubber. I would recommend getting the motor, then ordering the specific sized bearings you need (from the dealer) and then the rest of the seals from some other more reputable spot (rockauto.com where you can choose quality brand seals, such as FelPro). most of the time you won't even use half the crap that comes with a kit, and the stuff you do use goes bad sooner than it needs to. Piecing together a set of the key seals of a higher quality line would do you well..

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Also I haven't purchased a h22 yet and wondering a good place to get one?

Comment

Originally posted by Gyxxr07 View Post
          Thanks for the advice. Also I haven't purchased a h22 yet and wondering a good place to get one?
          I got my H from http://www.hmotorsonline.com/, it was a premium price but there was absolutely no sludge in the engine, the head wasnt even gold colored the valve cover looked almost new on the underside. That says if their engines have 30k miles its true..honestly if you bought one you would be good changing the timing belt and upper valve cover seals and dropping it in and run a quality synthetic oil to clean out the normal deposits left by conventional oil, and be good for a while. Even the most of the seals were still nice and supple not hard and brittle like youd expect from an 18 yo engine. I plan to buy a run of the mill F22B(2) for my CD5 when I have some extra loot from them cause mine has over 300k miles and is getting tired. The new one will be practically new.

Comment

Hmotors is sold out of OBD1 H22s. Has been for about a year now.

EDIT... They are sold out of what we need currently. It says they are in stock for the "Complete Change Over".

Axles with Half Shaft (CV shafts, and intermediate shaft) CV shafts are not needed.
            Shifter Cables - Not needed
            Shifter Assembly - Not needed
            Stock Motor Mounts * -Not needed

But a person might call them and see what they say. See if they will sell you just what you need for the $2100. But honestly I'd get the LSD transmission. IMO it's kinda pointless not to. Especially for just $300 more.

And I would never buy an H22 from anyone else other than Hmotors. You can get away with doing just what illinois_erik said and replace just the seals with an H22 from Hmotors.

Front & rear crank seals.
            Oil pan gasket.
            Valve cover gasket set.
            Cam seals.
            CV shaft seals on the transmission.

Then do the timing stuff. And make sure and use a manual tensioner. Like KS tuned.

Then all that's left is general stuff like plugs, wires, cap, rotor, accessory belts, thermostat and so on.
            Last edited by H311RA151N; 09-24-2014, 10:12 PM.

Comment

I have seen them on eBay but wasn't sure if any of these dealers are truly as good as their feedback.

Comment

I suppose I will have to be patient. Hopefully they get a motor before winter so I can start my project. Thanks for the info

Comment

Really you can do a H22A4 with a block guard or an H23A vtec swap. The JDM H22A is a nice motor but really not all that different than an H22A1. I assume it is the closed deck you are after or is it DOHC VTEC?

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the motors may never come back in stock, maybe it is time to look for another solution.

Comment

You must be looking at one of following on this link below, probably the ones which include the pistons?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...ild+kit&_rdc=1

I myself is looking to purchase a full gasket kit from Yonaka Motorsports.
                    http://www.yonaka.com/Complete_Engin..._p/ymgk006.htm

However, as cp[mike] mentioned above, usually the best route to go is getting all OEM Honda seals.

Comment

What's best IMO is to buy a JDM engine (because it's low mileage, at least from Hmotors) and just throw new seals and timing stuff on it. Cheap, easy and just as reliable as anything else.

Gyxxr07, like I said, call them (Hmotors) up or email them and ask about it. They have the engine you want. Just not in the package you want. Hell, for the extra $300 or whatever just get the complete change over and sell the other stuff. It beats buying some "JDM" H22A on ebay that's about to puke a rod.

Not to mention a lot of H22's on the net are sold out of Canada. Not saying anything bad about Canadians but what can happen is they sell you a bunk engine and since they reside in another country you are left holding the bag.

I have read bad things about that Yonaka gasket set by the way. OEM is the only way to go. Speaking from experience.

EDIT... personally, I think wildbill hit the nail on the head if Hmotors doesn't pan out. H23VTEC swap. Same engine pretty much, same power but likely to be in even better condition due to the vehicle it came out of. And has likely set in a warehouse not quite as long. Just do a OBD 1 conversion. Which is injectors, IACV (plenum) dizzy. Get all three from a 92-96 H22A (OBD-1). A custom tune is needed but there are people here with basemaps for a stock or bolt on H23 VTEC.
                      Last edited by H311RA151N; 09-25-2014, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Good to know, I'll definitely take that into consideration. I'll probably just end up piecing together each OEM Honda part I need instead of buying a whole gasket set. Buying something from this site would probably assist him better than since they sell genuine Honda parts. It's more expensive , but for peace of mind it'll more than likely be better in the long run.

http://www.inlinefour.com/pre20bse.html

Comment

Originally posted by Restless View Post
                          Good to know, I'll definitely take that into consideration. I'll probably just end up piecing together each OEM Honda part I need instead of buying a whole gasket set. Buying something from this site would probably assist him better than since they sell genuine Honda parts. It's more expensive , but for peace of mind it'll more than likely be better in the long run.

http://www.inlinefour.com/pre20bse.html
                          Get an Ishino gasket set. Ishino is one of Honda's seal and gasket suppliers. I have used them so many times for so many different things it's not even funny and not a single failure. You have to buy two sets and you have every seal and every gasket for the entire engine. $180 for the head gasket set and $85 for the lower gasket set.

I try not to be a brand pusher on here but I come off as that way anyways. But I have never told anyone to buy anything of poor quality. If anything one could accuse me of going overboard. But at least their shit won't break prematurely.

Comment

I emailed hmotors tonight. Hopefully they can get what I'm after. If not will look at the h23vtec. Hardest part of the whole project is not getting killed by the wife.

Comment

Originally posted by Gyxxr07 View Post
                              I emailed hmotors tonight. Hopefully they can get what I'm after. If not will look at the h23vtec. Hardest part of the whole project is not getting killed by the wife.
                              Good man, I imagine they will hook you up. I don't want to get your hopes up but I'm pretty certain they will.

I hear you about the wife deal. My GF thinks I'm nuts. Yet she always want's to drive my shit. I had a pretty cool 93 LX that had quite a bit done to it. I found out she took it out at lunch one day to spank a guy in a Civic that she worked with. It came to my attention when she asked me what it was called when you shift fast and don't let off the accelerator...
                              Last edited by H311RA151N; 09-25-2014, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X