Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Where is my engine speed sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is my engine speed sensor?

Going to keep this pretty short. I completed a full rebuild of my stock motor, the F22A6 on a '93 sedan, 5 speed.

Last week, my tach started to jump around, and I got engine code 20--Electrical Load Detector. All other gauges are running fine. It occurs about a minute after the car is running, but I'm not sure what is triggering it aside from just turning it on. My best place to start, I think, would be the engine speed sensor, which I'm not sure where it is. There's two sensors underneath my distributor, a red one that has a single wire leading to the harness, and another one that has two wires that lead to a pair of striped ones on the harness. Unfortunately, the previous owner damaged them and instead jury rigged two connectors together.

I know it has something to do with the end connection because the tach was working fine for the past several weeks after the engine rebuild. Any insight would be appreciated, but I am NOT looking for the VSS located on the top of the transmission.

Edit: I forgot to mention while the tachometer jumps around while in gear and out of it (Bumps on the road seem to exacerbate it out of gear), she does drive and doesn't have an issue running. I have a code for the EGR as well, but that's a different issue.
    Last edited by CarbonFibreGuy; 07-11-2016, 12:29 AM.

There is no engine speed sensor, there is a vehicle speed sensor, but it won't cause tachometer issues. Your ignition control module will, and it's located inside your distributor.

And the easiest way to get rid of the code 20 is to replace the engine bay fusebox.
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
      There is no engine speed sensor, there is a vehicle speed sensor, but it won't cause tachometer issues. Your ignition control module will, and it's located inside your distributor.

And the easiest way to get rid of the code 20 is to replace the engine bay fusebox.
      Thanks, TIL. I won't be able to do that, there's too much work and I don't have a junkyard near me, much less money for an uber or whatever.

I inspected further, and I found out that the seal inside the distributor must be leaking, as there is oil just below it collecting. I think that's what's causing the ECU to throw the Code 20--I'm going to go to Honda to replace the seal.

Comment

Another reason for the tach to be jumping is a bad ground. Check the ground on your wire harness on the bottom of the thermostat housing. Make sure its not corroded and that it isn't loose.

If at first you don't suceed, then skydiving is not for you.

I try not to down talk anyone, when I read my old questions I realize I was an idiot too.

Comment

Thanks, I hadn't considered this. I just got back home from work so I'll be working on it next to determine what's up. Haven't driven the car for several days and won't be till I can make sure things are OK.

Comment

Do not bother going to Honda to buy the distributor seal, they'll make you buy a whole new housing. Instead, go onto eBay and search NOK BH3888E0. That's the seal you need for your TEC distributor.

Comment

Working...
            X