Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

1993 Honda Accord drivetrain swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 Honda Accord drivetrain swap?

I own a 1993 Honda accord with an JDM h22a in it and Im curious if it would be possible to make it an AWD conversion. Taking the drivetrain out of a Honda CRV? Im also wanting to boost it, however i think i want to go supercharger, what is a suggested supercharger for a JDM h22a?

For superchargers the jackson racing sc kit can be hard to come buy but is used alot. You could twin charge it (turbo and supercharged) make some real power. As for AWD I'd recommend importing a 4ws accord as they have the tunnel for the system, remove 4ws, add crv Awd.
    sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

The CRV conversion has been talked about several times, but never done. It's also an extremely weak setup with a tiny rear diff. you'd be better off mating the rear end from something like a 240 to an AWD trans.

Really though, if you have to ask, you probably don't have the skills. an AWD conversion on a FWD car that wasn't designed for it is a MASSIVE undertaking and requires a huge amount of fabrication skills. For an example, check out AlmostJDM's RB25/RWD swap thread. it took him years and he still parted it out before it was finished.

Basically, if you want an AWD car, buy one. It will cost you more than a decent EVO just to come out with a 25 year old car that's been hacked together.
      Last edited by steelbluesleepR; 07-20-2016, 03:59 AM.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
      Originally posted by Stephen Fry
      'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
      Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Not to mention the hassle involved with finding a matching ratio front differential if you did go with a a beefier rear.

Check this page out for some information about modifying a FF chassis to but an AWD drivetrain in there. He's actually finished and driving now, but this journal shows some of the incredible amount of work required.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Don't forget that the H22 spins counter-clockwise, like the B, D, and F engines. Damn near every other mass-produced engine ever made spins clockwise. That means the CRV or 4wd Civic are pretty much the only AWD options that aren't going to require some serious additional work. Those two options are not performance oriented in the least, so they would probably not hold very much power before they give out. If you wanted to use a more performance-oriented AWD system, like that found in the Eclipse or Evo, you would need to reverse the rotation of the H22. It has been done, but it's not common, and not simple.

As mentioned, AWD will require gutting your car like a fish. You will literally need to cut a driveshaft tunnel, and probably have to relocate the fuel tank to clear a differential. Major work would need to be done to the rear suspension to accommodate drive axles.

It would be easier to buy a Mitsubishi Galant VR4 and do the cosmetic modifications necessary to make it look like a CB7.

Comment

They are weak? Guess you should tell my buddy that...lol AWD Civic EG, running a 9.56.

Originally posted by Mishakol129
            Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

One successful example is not substantial evidence. Additionally, what parts is he running? EGs didn't come AWD, so he clearly did custom work. Is that drivetrain 100&#37; original parts from a 20-30 year old non-performance vehicle? Also remember that an EG is significantly lighter than a CB. Greater weight puts more strain on the drivetrain, especially in high power applications where the car is driven hard (and we'd all be lying if we said we'd build such a thing and not drive it hard!)

Comment

It's a CRV setup, I'll inquire what exactly is under it.

Edit: " Wagon diff. , dear axles, driveshaft, Rsx front axles, Crv tranny " "Mostly" all OEM parts are used.
                Last edited by dj_ender; 07-20-2016, 02:41 PM.
                Originally posted by Mishakol129
                Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Just a bit on Honda's Real Time AWD system that is found on the CR-V...

For most of the time, only the CR-V’s front wheels are driven; it’s only when they begin to lose grip that the Dual Pump system starts to send power to the rear wheels. This is achieved by a hydraulic torque-split system, consisting of a conventional front-wheel drive arrangement, complete with transfer case, a propeller shaft running the length of the vehicle and a Dual Pump system integrated with the rear differential. This is the heart of the system and comprises two hydraulic pumps, one driven by the front wheels via the prop shaft, the other by the rear wheels via the rear differential.

During normal levels of grip the front and rear wheels, and their respective pumps, turn at the same speed; hydraulic pressure circulates between the two pumps, but no pressure is generated. If the front wheels begin to lose traction and start to spin faster than those at the rear, the two pumps turn at different rates; hydraulic pressure proportional to the difference in their speeds is generated, which in turn opens a valve body and activates a mechanical, multi-plate clutch.

This clutch then connects the front prop shaft to the rear diff, which feeds precisely the correct amount of torque to the rear wheels to re-establish overall traction. The more the front wheels slip, the greater the torque fed to the rear wheels.

Comment

As Deev's quote suggests, the CRV system is not true AWD; more of a "if you need it, it's there" type of deal. Great for your Mom to get home in that blizzard, not so great for running thru the twisties.

OT, I'm more of a fan of a selectable AWD system where you can choose between AWD and 2WD. Jeep had a selectable case in their higher trim models in the 90's and early 2k's. Was shiftable like a normal t-case except it had a center differential and the lever would allow you 2WD, AWD, 4WD hi and low range too. 4WD would lock the front and rear driveshafts together like a normal transfer case. Always wanted to build an Eagle wagon with that case and a 5 speed.
                    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                      Always wanted to build an Eagle wagon with that case and a 5 speed.
                      Totally OT... but yes, yes, yes. I would rock the shit out of an AMC Eagle!

There was one for sale at a garage near my house when I was 18 or 19. Rare even then, back in the late 90s. Took me a while to figure out what the hell it was, and I've loved them ever since.

Comment

Maybe the easiest way to get 4wd in an accord would be to take a donor accord with a matching engine and transmission cut out the whole front support structure. Weld and fab that in place of the rear end of the target car. It would be easiest if they were both auto-trannies. Weld the steering rear steering in a fixed position, and presto you have 4wd and twice the power!!!

Now when I say that would be the easiest, I don't mean it would be at all easy, just easier than your proposal.

I've been dreaming about doing that with an Odyssey for my next LeMons car. I somehow thing it will remain a dream unless I win the lottery.
                        ==========================
                        1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
                        1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
                        Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
                        Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
                        M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
                        Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Hmm they had the JDM Accord CL2 AWD wagon that was H23A Vtec powered..so theres your drivetrain, at least its OEM and not anemic or H2B like a crv/wagovan clusterfuck would be.

the transmission:

either way itll be expensive and complicated. Id drop the money into something AWD out of the box, even a 2wd eclipse chassis has the provisions to swap in gsx goodies

Comment

Weren't all CL2s automatic, though?

Comment

Yes.

So far, the most effective method I've seen for driving the rear wheels in a Honda has been to do what ukemike suggested. I've seen quite a few done that way with H22As, J32/J35s and even others that will retain an engine in the front as well.
                              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Working...
                              X