Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

What should I do first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I do first?

I recently bought a 1990 4dr for $200. Solid deal, I know. It’s got the stock 2.2 F22 in it. I’m just wondering what my first step should be as I’m new to the world of aftermarket parts. All I know is I want to upgrade performance first. I’ll worry about appearance later. Ideally, I’d like to make it a drift car. (Little extra info. Both AC and heater are broken. So is the stereo. Planning on removing all of them. Possibly rear seats as well.)

Welcome to the site. If your looking into a drift car, you got the wrong car. Most/all drift cars are rear wheel drive, the accord and Most Honda’s are Front wheel drive. So you would have to convert it to Rear wheel drive. It’s been done before but cost a lot of money.

First thing you should do is fix all the maintenance issues it has and then start refreshing the suspension.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Funny how your post Grumpy is "unapproved" but we can see it Op, only suggestion i have is stay away from ebay non-branded parts. If you're looking for performance (in today's world) you also got the wrong car :P

Comment

The first thing to do is forget about drifting your accord. With the amount it would cost to build out a properly sorted, RWD accord, you have bought 2 or 3 nicely built, swapped 240's or e36's

As for your car, do ALL the maintenance first. After that, get a poly bushing kit from Energy Suspension or Prothane. It's the single largest impact that any one mod can make to an old car. After that, good suspension, wheels and good tires, and a thick rear sway bar are next. Stay away from cheap coilovers. From there, look at the tech section of this forum for power mods. If you don't want to do a swap (an H22 swap is just about the easiest swap ever), an H23 intake manifold, ebay header, cold air intake, decent exhaust, and a cam will completely transform your car.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
        'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
        Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Remember that guy who was trying to put a RB26DETT in a cb7 and make it RWD. Wonder what happened with that, if he eventually threw it all in the garbage .....

Comment

That was AlmostJDM, I know he had the RB26 mounted in the bay, and was sorting out the rear end. But thats all I know.
            ~Nick~
            FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13

Comment

If you want to drift your Accord, go for it. Make a plan and set it in motion and don't listen to these weirdos telling you what you should and should not dream about. As for where to start, everything needs to come out. Litterally everything. Carpet, dash, wiring harnesses, engine, tranny, suspension, everything. Should be a lot of fun.

Comment

Do not go drifting your accord. I drive a 93 and do it myself and I’ll tell you, actually breaking your grip in a front wheel drive car is extremely dangerous, not to even mention that catching it again to fix your drift and control is INSANELY hard for someone who doesn’t even drift a RWD.

i recommend going and getting a Miata, and getting some seat time in it for like 6 months, get comfortable driving it first. You never just wanna get something and go dog it, you won’t have the mindset to do it without messing up fast.

You cant actually drift a FWD car, there’s no finesse and control in it the way you can control the brake and the gas on a RWD.
                its not about ripping the handbrake and sliding, that’s not drifting, it’s all controlled with gas / brake and the two together.
                especially in a manual, you get the clutch kick in as well.
                watch some YouTube on some real Togue Battles, they will show you what it’s all about mate.
                have fun though, it’s your car, you wanna swing that thing around corners do it.
                but it’s not going to be real drifting, and you won’t experience that world the same way at all.

Comment

Yea..... Idk about drifting a front wheel drive.... Even tho I vaguely remember a old option video with those guys going crazy. Lol I'd say maintenance first. Handle all and any issues that come with age and road use. Be sure to change out fluids(check for leaks at this time as well.)Safety: suspension and brakes and you're golden champ.

Comment

I suppose if one were really good, you could drift a front wheel drive car in reverse!
                    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Before drifting became a major craze in the US, Super Street magazine had a drifting competition. The winner of the very first one was a CRX. Not sure how that came to be... but FWD won.

AlmostJDM was doing the RB swap, but I think he had to abandon the project due to personal circumstances.
                      We had another RWD swap in the works (I'm blanking on his name here... real name is Trevor), but his car fell to a similar fate.

There have been successful RWD and even AWD conversions done to CBs, but they're definitely the product of much skill, knowledge, planning, experience, and resources (money being just one of them.)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        Before drifting became a major craze in the US, Super Street magazine had a drifting competition. The winner of the very first one was a CRX. Not sure how that came to be... but FWD won.

AlmostJDM was doing the RB swap, but I think he had to abandon the project due to personal circumstances.
                        We had another RWD swap in the works (I'm blanking on his name here... real name is Trevor), but his car fell to a similar fate.

There have been successful RWD and even AWD conversions done to CBs, but they're definitely the product of much skill, knowledge, planning, experience, and resources (money being just one of them.)
                        Yep we had the 350 swapped Accord and the AWD is still in the works AJ Imports on youtube. The car moves on its own power but it still in the process of getting everything straightened out. His videos are raw footage but he does show a good step by step on what he is doing.
                        ~Nick~

Comment

I can't recall if the 350 swapped one actually moved, though. If it's the same one I'm thinking of from 2013-2014, the guy was all over Facebook. He kept posting videos of it idling, but he disappeared when people asked to see it driving.

RWD is actually fairly straightforward if you're capable of even mediocre welding and fabrication... and you don't care if you screw up. As long as you can measure, cut, and stick stuff together, you can convert any FWD car to RWD.
                          Making it reliable, safe, and attractive will take quite a bit more skill.

Comment

Working...
                          X