Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

93 EX Will Not Run Correctly After Motor Mount / Oil Pan Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93 EX Will Not Run Correctly After Motor Mount / Oil Pan Replacement

I could really use some help here.

I recently finished replacing motor mounts and the oil pan on my mostly stock 93 accord (meanwhile the car was not started for about 2 months). Only thing that is not stock is a poor excuse of a cold air intake the last owner "installed".

Before doing this the car ran sort of well. As well as it could for a not so well kept 150,000 mile along car. None of the following issues were present though.

After making sure everything was reconnected, I started the car a total of three times, and it only ran for less than 30 seconds each time.

The first time, it jumped to about 3000 rpm and stayed there, a whirring noise (that was not there before) started from the engine bay and pulsated in and out, and after shutting it down and returning to the engine bay it smelled like burning exhaust and oil but worse somehow. The car was on only about 15 seconds.

The second time it jumped above 3000 and stayed there, the whirring noise and smell came back immediately and I shut it down after about 20 seconds.

The final time it jumped WELL above 3000 rpm (about 4000) and after maybe 10 seconds dropped to 1500, then back up and down repeatedly. Whirring and smell came back too. It was on about 25 seconds.

I cannot tell what the problem would be since before doing these things the car ran without any of this happening. It would start at about 2000 rpm and fall to about 1000 and lower while warming up. No whirring or smell at all. And the smell can't be oil since the car came nowhere near temp to burn oil off the places it leaked.

Anyone have a clue what this could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check to see if something is holding the throttle plate open; either something stuck in the throttle body itself or something with the throttle cable. Also check for any vacuum hose being disconnected that would be supplying another source of air to the intake.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Did you do anything with the coolant during the repairs? If there is an unbled air bubble in the coolant lines (the small ones leading all around the intake manifold) then it can cause the idle issues.

You'd be surprised at how quickly parts of the exhaust get hot. Even just touching them with oil hands is enough to start making noticeable smells, especially if the car is in a garage.

Can you try to describe the whirring noise?
      - Was it a general vibrating hum?
      - Was it a heavy metal mechanical grinding from inside the engine?
      - Was it a higher pitched skateboard-wheel sound of pulleys and bearings?
      - Was it a whistling airy sound?

Any chance you could try getting a quick video of the sound? Since you probably messed with the pulleys and belts, I would suspect those might be the area to investigate. Make sure everything is the correct tension!

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
      X