Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Have trouble starting when hot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have trouble starting when hot.

Gentlemen
    I have a 93 with 361,000 miles. It will start when cold. If you turn it off it for say 30 seconds, it'll start right up. If you wait 10 minutes or so it takes sometime several cranks to barely get it going. If it starts it'll idle about 200rpm. I'll use the throttle to eventually get it running. Even with the throttle it almost stalls. Once it gets going it runs fine. No stumbling, accelerates fine.

Here is what I've troubleshot so far. I checked for spark. Got it. I checked fuel pressure with a gauge and it is within specs. The reading stays steady. If something was leaking the gauge did not show that. I replaced the ect sensor. Thought maybe it was sending incorrect engine temp information to ecu. I think it is getting too much fuel at startup. I changed the main relay no difference. When I had one no start I took the spark plugs out and they soaked with gas. I cleaned off the gas reinstalled them. The car started hesitantly. I have a spare ecu I wonder if I should try that.

Jeesh, this sounds like a jumped timing belt tooth almost. But if it runs fine once going and engine isn't shaking etc. then it's not that. I'm a bit stumped on this one. It almost sounds like it's not getting air, very very clogged air filter too. Or a dirty fuel tank sock......
    But it's none of these as when it's cold it starts fine. Maybe a igniter in the distributor....

I'm going to say it's the fuel pump going out, hence the several cranks. Did you test the fuel pressure when it was hot?

Any check engine lights?

Comment

Thanks for responding. No CELs. I checked it when hot. Pressure 38 psi. When I disconnected the vacuum line going to the fuel pressure regulator, the pressure went up to 45 psi. Maybe it's one of those problems that defies all logic. I'll try the another ecu and see what happens. I would hope it's not the fuel pump. Like I said before, when I get it running the engine is flawless. Maybe I'll just leave it running and not turn it off. LOL. I thought about a weak spark issue. Maybe I'll get a distributor at the junk yard.

Comment

If the plugs are soaked, and fuel pressure at the rail is within normal range, which 30-45 is normal, then your having an issue with your spark. I'm willing to bet your igniter, is going out. Have you looked at the rotor cap inside the dizzy or the dizzy cap? Those contacts could be ground down, just over normal use.
        ~Nick~
        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

I did check that there was spark using a spare set. I dangled the spark plug wires the valve cover and attached the spark plugs to each wire and watched them in the dark. It doesn't tell me how strong the spark is. I just tried to start it a few minutes ago. The engine was warm It started but it was only running at about 100 rpms then died. I took the cap off the rotor checked the igniter wires. I have an igniter I can try.

Comment

You should try unplugging your IACV for fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              You should try unplugging your IACV for fun.
              I found the issue. My head gasket is leaking. So There is water and coolant going into the cylinders and on the spark plugs.

Comment

Well....... dam. Best of luck there. Guessing you have low coolant all the time too.

Comment

In my experience if a car starts fine cold then has trouble once warmed up then the injectors may be leaking. The engine needs more fuel on a cold startup so no issue when cold. I usually have better luck flooring it when I start it up warm. I’ve been told that in most vehicles (not sure about obd1) that flooring it while cranking puts the car in a flood clearing mode that will cut fuel.

Comment

Main Relay. It's a very common problem with Hondas. There's a solder point that goes bad and is triggered by hot weather. This prevents it from turning on the fuel pump. Turn your key on and if you don't hear the click of the relay and pump, then that's it! Simple fix.

http://www.diymyhonda.com/civic/hard...-relay-repair/

Comment

Working...
                    X