Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

F22A6 with 9.2:1 will I need a tune?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F22A6 with 9.2:1 will I need a tune?

Hey guys, long time lurker and first time posting so bear with me.

1991 LX auto but gathering manual swap parts, with F22A1 and the following-
    ALL the A6 parts.
    68mm TB
    I/H/E
    Balance shaft delete
    light porting on TB, Intake manifold and head
    Dual core radiator with new fans and shroud.
    Complete teardown and overhaul (main and Rod bearings, pistons and rings, all new seals on everything, water pump, oil pump, timing belt kit, distributor rebuild, oil catch can)

I had to have the head milled 0.020 (damaged by prior owner) this will put me about 9.2:1 if the calculator is correct.

I am starting the build back this weekend and am wondering if I will need a tune with the porting and now the bump in compression?

My goal is just a solid build with healthy power and not to be trying to run down little timmy on the street.
    But I do drive what I build and don't shy away from playing well with others. This will be my daily fun driver.

Will the PT6 support the mods well enough for a fun daily until I can decide what ECU to run?
    Thoughts on ECU and tune if needed or for future?
    Any issues with this build I may be missing?
    The only other thing I need to find better info on is the wiring for the IAB, I know there was a post for this info I just need to find it again.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I'd guess that since you are not changing the ignition or valve timing, forcing induction, or changing the injectors, that you probably won't need a tune. Make sure you use a computer from a f22a6 and it should be fine.

I have many of the same mods and a Delta 262 cam and using an a6 computer it runs great. Good luck with wiring the IAB, I had no luck.
    ==========================
    1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
    1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
    Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
    Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
    M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
    Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

That's kinda what I was thinking. I am using the A6 ecu. And as for the wiring, that was really the only other concern I had, I guesswe will see soon lol. Just finished the mains, rods/pistons and rear main. Hopefully I'll have the head done and back on this weekend. Thanks for the help!

Comment

I've been thinking about increasing the compression ratio in our race car. At some point I'll want new rings. One cylinder has lower compression and about 10% leakdown past the rings. I am considering getting higher compression pistons. Arias makes some for 9.5:1 but they are not cheap. So I'd like to hear how it goes for you, please keep us posted.

Other thoughts, the increased compression should be worth ~2hp maybe 3. Your 68mm throttle body is probably oversized and an oversized throttle body hurts low end power. At about 60mm the H23's throttle body is sized right for 160hp the H22's at 62mm is good for up to 220hp. The other changes you list are maybe enough to get you near 160hp. The larger plenum and 60mm throttle body from an H23 intake manifold would be better than the 68mm throttle body on the f22a6 intake manifold. Your biggest HP gains might be just from new tight rings, if you had 10% blowby in 2 cylinders you could see the restoration of 5hp.

Also I hate to be a debbie downer, but the stock cooling on the CB7 is exceptional. We've raced in 106degree heat for 7 hours straight at three races with zero heating issues. That's 7 hours over 4000rpm at wide open throttle, except when on the brakes. Our cooling is totally stock. But a bigger radiator won't hurt anything.
        M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.

Comment

Thanks for the info. The TB was on hand and will be used until I can find the h23, I have the plenum but the TB has been harder to find here. The radiator "upgrade" was also just a good deal and replaced the leaking stock unit. Looks nice, clean and preforms great and was less than half the price for the whole setup than just replacing a stock unit. Just finished up the IAB wiring and will be dropping the motor back in hopefully tomorrow so I will let you guys know how it goes when I get it fired up and running in the next few days/week (3 small kids and a livestock of animals to "help" me so it might take a bit to finish up lol.

Comment

Well, it's done!! The only issues I had were that I needed to adjust the valve lash after the first start up and getting it to temp. I have a trans fluid leak that I believe is at the speed sensor and there is a weird whistle that sounds like it's caused by something with pressure, it takes about 3 seconds to whind down to nothing after the engine is shut off. The iab works great and actuated at about 4k rpm. She has power that is a night and day difference from stock. I'll need to take a good look at timing and make some adjustments for my driving style after the break in is complete. But altogether I'm very happy with the end result. I can't wait to open her up and make some fun runs on my local corners and straights to see how she does in comparison to prior and my other builds.

Comment

Fantastic!
              Did you sort out the whistling sound? I'm puzzled about what could cause that.

Comment

Working...
              X