Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Better handling...different tires??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better handling...different tires??

I want to actually enjoy driving my '93 SE. I want to put on a STB but it won't make much of a difference if I am still sporting the touring tires. I need an agressive tire for better handling. My question is, can you put an agressive tire on the stock rim, or is it better to upgrade to at least a 16" rim and then put good tires on?

the bigger the rim your gonna have better handling. I put some nice tires on my stock 15" and it handled better then it did before, up to wether you wanna buy new rims just for handling
    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Get a rim that is bigger or wider atleast. The wider tread will make for more surface contact.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

205 is the biggest I have seen on a stock rim.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I would like to get a stock 16" Honda rim - I want to go bigger, but it's hard getting an aftermarket rim to match my gold car. That and I don't want to drop a ton of cash on them.

Comment

Look into the 6th gen rims. They are pretty nice. Dunno if they have em in 16s though. I knwo they got some 15s excluding v6.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            I piss off people for fun.
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
              205 is the biggest I have seen on a stock rim.
              205 is the biggest you can run on a 5.5" rim which most 90-95's have. The 6th gen SE rims are 15", but 6" wide so you can run up to 225 on them. Personally I'm trying to find the 2000 accord SE rims myself since I want the wider width and like the look of this rim.

But say you don't want to buy new rims and just upgrade the tires it'll still handle better then stock.

Comment

I know plenty of guys that autocross on the stock 5.5" wide wheels... If you have 15" alloys (OEM) get some 205/55/15 tires. Bridgestone Potenzas and BFG G-Force are very good choices.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                  I know plenty of guys that autocross on the stock 5.5" wide wheels... If you have 15" alloys (OEM) get some 205/55/15 tires. Bridgestone Potenzas and BFG G-Force are very good choices.
                  He just told you the best tires. I have older model legend wheels with the g-force KDWs, and the car handles perfectly. But tires are not the only thing that help the car handle good.
                  1)92 Accord lx - I/E w/ valves, springs and retainers. H22 bored to h23 not goin in this summer.--Totaled
                  2)92 Accord Ex - I/E and loving the sound.
                  3)89 Integra Lx - loving the new old-school.

ITS NOT HOW MUCH HORSEPOWER YOU HAVE, ITS HOW MUCH POWER YOUR HORSES CAN MAKE
                  Now serving the Red, White and Blue under the U.S.A.F
                  Now Working at.......Dyess AFB

Comment

I noticed a difference in handling when i changed my stock ex wheels to prelude blades, but then again i changed the tires as well so i dont know how they wouldve handled with the stock rims, probably the same.
                    1993 Accord EX
                    2011 Subaru STi

Comment

DaBzzMn, you have the KDWs? I haven't talked to anyone with those yet. I'm really interested in them (I trust the brand, and they look nasty as hell!) Are they lacking in any area, or do they grip well all the time? Any complaints?

And yes, tires aren't everything... QUALITY suspension components (not just springs and struts, but bushings, strut bars, and sway bars) will help a great deal as well. A good driver can do more with a good set of tires than the average kid with a $5000 suspension setup though. Get some grip, and learn your car.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                        DaBzzMn, you have the KDWs? I haven't talked to anyone with those yet. I'm really interested in them (I trust the brand, and they look nasty as hell!) Are they lacking in any area, or do they grip well all the time? Any complaints?

And yes, tires aren't everything... QUALITY suspension components (not just springs and struts, but bushings, strut bars, and sway bars) will help a great deal as well. A good driver can do more with a good set of tires than the average kid with a $5000 suspension setup though. Get some grip, and learn your car.
                        Thankx for the backup. But you got to understand, not everyone is an expert driver. I KDWs handle very nicely expecially on the dry road. I have seen a mustang wipeout in my rearview cause he couldn't keep up. In the rain they only hydroplane when there is a big puddle. I dont try and push in the ran either. I recommend getting them i have the 205/50/15 on my legend wheels. and falken 512s on my stock 15 steels.
                        1)92 Accord lx - I/E w/ valves, springs and retainers. H22 bored to h23 not goin in this summer.--Totaled
                        2)92 Accord Ex - I/E and loving the sound.
                        3)89 Integra Lx - loving the new old-school.

ITS NOT HOW MUCH HORSEPOWER YOU HAVE, ITS HOW MUCH POWER YOUR HORSES CAN MAKE
                        Now serving the Red, White and Blue under the U.S.A.F
                        Now Working at.......Dyess AFB

Comment

Cool. I have the 512s on my 17" Falken Hanabis... well, I did... now they're bald as rubber bands. I want to get the KDWs in 205/55/15 for my OEM alloys, if they make that size. I like the slightly beefier sidewall. Hell, my rears are a 60!

My point with getting better tires and keeping it fairly stock otherwise is for learning... so often people will upgrade everything and expect the mods to do the work. Without knowing how to drive, it doesn't matter how good your equipment is. Taking what you have to the limit, then upgrading and learning the new limit is the best way to go about doing things, IMO.

Comment

The Falken 512s grip pretty good. I cannot squeal them around corners, they just make, well a different sound.
                            Gary A.K.A. Carter
                            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Awesome replies. I will be looking at the Bridgestone or BFG's...TireRack has them for ~$100 each. What does the 55 in the tire refer too?

Can anyone recommend (other than ebay, or is that best?) for Honda 15" or 16" rims...don't really care much for the SE rims I have currently.

Thanks again for the responses-

Comment

Working...
                              X