Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

!!HELP!!TURBO and Reliability??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F22HB
    Turbos are great but it seems like almost whatever you do, you endup lossing reliablility for power.
    If its cheap its not reliable.
    If its reliable its not fast.
    If its fast its not cheap...
    You're forgetting one important factor. Knowledge.

If you know what you are doing, you can minimize costs considerably. If you know what you are doing, you can make parts last a long time. If you know what you are doing, you can be plenty fast with the right parts.

A small turbo will create unnecessary heat. A larger turbo will make things safer. A small turbo will spool quickly, meaning that running off-boost when you want to conserve fuel isn't very easy. A small turbo is cheap. If you don't know any better (*knowledge*) you will buy the cheap small turbo, damage your engine, not go fast, and waste lots of fuel.

The best thing to do before building a turbo kit is learn exactly what every part does. Learn why they do what they do. Learn the negative effects and positive effects, and what decisions can be made to reduce the negative.

Compared to a high-revving NA engine, a properly designed turbo motor can be more reliable. Compared to a well cared-for stock engine, a turbo motor will probably have a shorter lifespan. However, I've known stock cheapie turbo cars (like my old beat to hell 87 Dodge Shadow) to go well over 130,000 miles with no major issues.

Key points to remember:
    Engine condition (with stock internals, this is very important)
    Tuning!
    Proper fueling (injectors, pump, pressure, a/f ratio... that goes back to tuning)
    Turbo size
    Cooling system
    Intercooling system
    Exhaust size (you want to get that hot air out of there as quickly as you can!)
    Safeguard systems (Wastegate to protect your engine, and BOV to protect your turbo)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaB18
      What is your question? Browse around.

Building NA is different from building it for forced induction. Two different things. You can't build a car for NA and all the sudden slap on a turbo to it if thats what your asking.
      Right now I drive my car to much to put a turbo on it. i wanted to get an idea of how much power i can get out the motor so I just wanted some examples

Comment

200whp 8psi 14b jdm f22b driven every day. Running for about 1 year 8 months boosted. no MAJOR problems. I have a conservative tune, and this weekend I drove about 600miles+, mostly highway. I have a lead foot, so i usually see boost on the highway.

If it's cheap it's not reliable.-false. I have a dsm turbo kit. One of the cheapest ways to go.

I have put a beating on my motor as well, twice now I've ran it with barely any oil, when I was away at college the oil wasn't changed for about 7 months. F series can hold up to a good amount of abuse
        Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Awesome. It's good to hear that!

Still, I wouldn't classify such success as something to expect. It would be silly to hear that your motor hasn't had any problems and assume that mine will see similar results.

Turbo introduces a new system to the car... Not only another bunch of parts that can break on you, but parts that can potentially toast your motor in the process.

92ex has a stock-block DSM setup that's been running for the better part of 2 years. h22sparkle had a fully built turbo H22 and it lasted about 6 months. Quality, planning, and knowledge play a VERY large part... as does luck, in some cases!

Comment

Originally posted by 92ex
            200whp 8psi 14b jdm f22b driven every day. Running for about 1 year 8 months boosted. no MAJOR problems. I have a conservative tune, and this weekend I drove about 600miles+, mostly highway. I have a lead foot, so i usually see boost on the highway.

If it's cheap it's not reliable.-false. I have a dsm turbo kit. One of the cheapest ways to go.

I have put a beating on my motor as well, twice now I've ran it with barely any oil, when I was away at college the oil wasn't changed for about 7 months. F series can hold up to a good amount of abuse
            I was waiting for someone with a boosted car to chime in lol. But a proper tune and a big ol koyo aluminum as I have seen seem to do the job very well.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            I piss off people for fun.
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
            X