Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

!!HELP!!TURBO and Reliability??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

!!HELP!!TURBO and Reliability??

What are you experiences on turbo charged cars?? Are they good for the long run?? Say from Tip of Texas to California? How bout Cali to Ny?? How bout 100 miles a day?? Give me your opinion.. I am particularly interested in Turbo Charged F22a1 w/ stock motors??

Uh, they go faster than they would without a turbo.
    Hows that for generalized information!?

Comment

With a good tune you should be OK. It's a lot of work to do right though.

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

tuning is everything when it comes to turbo, also make sure you have quality parts and installed correctly, and the maintanence should be kept up and done regularly
        Members Ride

Comment

Tuning is very important but so is engine temp.

if your going to be doing a trip from texas to cali your going to want to make sure the air your forcing into your engine is as cool as posible. cold air isn't just for the horsepower increase.

If your doing all highway this won't be as big of a problem because the air won't be compressed and therefore won't be hot. but i mention it because it seems to be something that people easily forget about.

your also going to want to monitor your oil pressure and water temp

I've seen some of your past posts and i feel like your taking on a project that you know absolutly nothing about.
          use the search function or pick up a book all about boost.
          "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
          - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty
            I've seen some of your past posts and i feel like your taking on a project that you know absolutly nothing about.
            x2
            I am in a good mood though. I would choose a snail that wouldn’t hit full boost during those highway runs. Everyone mentions tuning, but what about the condition of the motor to begin with? I would do a compression/leak down test to see if it is healthy enough to boost. Assuming it is good, I would replace the timing belt, water pump, head gasket, clutch.......... and keep searching
            Last edited by 90EX; 11-27-2006, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Read up on some of the threads in the FI section and gain some more information.

Throttle position plays a major role. If its mostly highway and you drive with a light foot that won't see boost it drives just like any normal car. If your flooring the car every chance you get then more maintenance will be needed. If its installed properly, maintenance kept up to specs, good parts are installed, and tuned correctly it is just as reliable as any car (although usually any modifications that puts more stress into an engine will make the car less reliable then stock).

Comment

Good Feedback

Thanks for the feedback, keep sending me more,... And Rusty, your right! When it comes to tunning, I KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! I am %110 mechanically minded. When It comes to the Electronical aspect of the whole deal, I am very uneducated. But that is what this site is for,... And like most enthusiast, I have a goal. The compression advice was probably some of the best I have recieved Your right, if the engine is bad, I will go for the H22 instead of the F22. I still need to learn how to program my ECU with a laptop and understand it. But I feel im intelligent enough to figure all this out with the help of you guys and all the threads here so keep hitting me up !

Check it out, this was my project just before I took over my Honda Swap/Turbo Upgrade See,... It's all muscle, no wiring besides Harness involved 500+ HP Rice Burner/ 150 shot of the Giggle Gas for the long run

Comment

Help

Hey, i have a 92 ex, the motor in is from a 91 F22A4, I wanna go boosted but how well will the motor hold up? it has about 80k on it. I wanna get More power out of i besides the turbo. What else is there besides the Basics like intake, exhaust, ecu an all that?

Comment

Originally posted by F22NVtec
                    Hey, i have a 92 ex, the motor in is from a 91 F22A4, I wanna go boosted but how well will the motor hold up? it has about 80k on it. I wanna get More power out of i besides the turbo. What else is there besides the Basics like intake, exhaust, ecu an all that?

If you have to ask that question then your not ready to boost.

like it was said earlier, the better the condition of the motor the more reliable it should be.

There are a dozen differnt motorbuilding things that you could do to the engine that will get more power out of it.

search some of the all motor rides to get an idea
                    "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
                    - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Yeah, it does mention earlier in the thread bout that, somewhat.. But really besides all the basics, I would go for upgraded crank and pistons, cam, (all internal parts). The more compression, the more power. Just keep looking shit up and asking questions and all your answers will come to you eventually. This is a great site for all the info you need so stick around..

Comment

Boost or all motor?

As far as all motor power before turbo, whats the most any of you have gotten?

Comment

What is your question? Browse around.

Building NA is different from building it for forced induction. Two different things. You can't build a car for NA and all the sudden slap on a turbo to it if thats what your asking.

Comment

400 at the crank is the most I know of with an NA F22.

You must read about and understand how turbo engines differ from NA, and start from there. www.howstuffworks.com is a great place to start. When it comes to Honda engines, turbo systems aren't really plug and play... there are other things you need to do to keep things safe.

As for the original question...
                            Do it right. Don't use cheap parts. Get a proper sized intercooler. Get a wastegate that won't fail on you (if you plan on using an old, internally wastegated turbo, you may want to reconsider... or at least rebuild). A dyno tuned ECU would be wise. It may seem expensive, but a toasted motor and a tow will be MUCH more expensive!

Comment

Turbos are great but it seems like almost whatever you do, you endup lossing reliablility for power.
                              If its cheap its not reliable.
                              If its reliable its not fast.
                              If its fast its not cheap...

Comment

Working...
                              X