Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

A/C Delete or not? 200K Daily Driver....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C Delete or not? 200K Daily Driver....

Well, should I or shouldn't I? I guess my resale value won't really suffer on a ~$2000 car, not sure that the A/C works anyway. Maybe I should delete the Cruise Control also? Deleting them both will save some weight, free up some hp (1/2 -1?), and make an engine swap easier if / when the time comes.

Thoughts?

And if you've deleted your P/S I wanna' hear about that too.
    Last edited by freq; 12-19-2006, 10:50 AM.
    After 17 years and 208K miles, I'm not "tuning" my CB7, I'm "restoring" a CLASSIC.

Originally posted by freq
    Well, should I or shouldn't I? I guess my resale value won't really suffer on a ~$2000 car, not sure that the A/C works anyway. Maybe I should delete the Cruise Control also? Deleting them both will save some weight, free up some hp (1/2 -1?), and make an engine swap easier if / when the time comes.

Thoughts?

And if you've deleted your P/S I wanna' hear about that too.
    I know that a lot of people do the cruise control delete, because a lot of people don't use it and it frees up space in the engine bay and eliminates some weight.

As for the a/c, its up to you. Summers can get hot and sometimes its nice to have a/c, but if it needs to be recharged anyway (i hear thats expensive), then chances are u should just remove it, if your annoyed about weight.
    Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

i had a friend that took out his power steering off of his civic and it got bump steer real bad. then he wrecked it going down some mountian roads. then we choped it up into peices and scattered it across san bernardino county

Comment

Well... Its always going to be your issue man... In the end if you want it you keep it... If you don't then you're going to trash it or sell it.... I don't have AC... It was all taken out for me.... My cruise don't work and I wouldn't use it if it did.... I am going to have to just take that out.... As far as heat in the summer just be like me... I have a truck with AC So I just ride dirty in my CB.... By the way I have an H22 and not have'n all that stuff in gives you more room in your bay... It also gives you some added power on the crank... Well not added because the HP was already there.... You can just free up some......So....I say trash it or sell it....

My Members Ride Thread ( Do It )

Comment

Mine was no good so I just removed it. Took about a half hour, not counting the belt and evaporator. I also left the second rad. fan in place incase I needed it. I also left the compressor bracket on the block because there's a little heat shield attached to it. I think I'm going to cut the bracket down and just leave the little bit that the shield is attached to.
          I need to remove the evap., but I haven't gotten the duct that goes in its place.
          Its think its only about 40 pounds for the compressor, condenser, and piping, plus a little more for the evap. and fan if you remove those, too.

I left the cruise control because it works and I do use it every once and awhile. There's almost no weight to it. So I think most remove it for the extra room more than the weight savings.
          Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

we just removed a lot of mine, and we just have the compressor left. i dont regret it, as the ac didnt work anyways, granted its only been one day but still.
            2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
            2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

I still have everything in my engine bay (AC, PS, Cruise) but nothing is hooked up. The shop that did my swap never hooked up the AC, and I've been too lazy to do it myself (I have all the parts needed... just lines). I cut the PS belt because another shop put it on too tight and it was killing the pump. I ripped out the electronics for the cruise control while changing my main relay... just never put it back in.

I want my AC back. It DOES save a lot of weight if you rip out EVERYTHING (under the dash, in the front of the car, all the lines, the compressor... it's fairly involved). However, aside from that, the pulley doesn't put much of a drain on the engine when the AC is off. IMO, our cars are already pretty heavy. Rather than try to bring the weight down, just bring the power up!

I don't mind not having power steering, except when I have to parallel park... as I did on my birthday last year, a week after I cut the belt. I had MRX, AccordWarrior, and Prodigymb in the car with me, and they all got to laugh as I tried to wedge my newly heavy CB7 in between a BMW and a Benz on a Friday night in front of Pat's Steaks in Philly (a VERY popular place on Friday nights, if you don't know of it!) Yeah, that was fun. I did it though! When it comes to driving, once you're up to speed, you can't even tell you don't have power steering. I still have the pump installed though, since I don't want my rack to dry out. I'll probably hook that back up as well.

Comment

Thanks for the replies people. Is the A/C Compresor delete belt listed here someplace? I'm sure it is, just gotta' find it.
                After 17 years and 208K miles, I'm not "tuning" my CB7, I'm "restoring" a CLASSIC.

Comment

I think some DX models came without AC. You should be able to find one. If not, get one of those cloth tape measures, wrap it around the pullies you want to use, and buy a belt of that length with the proper width and ribbing.

Comment

Yeah, I just got a belt for a DX w/out AC. I think I got it at autozone, but I might have gotten an OEM one. Honestly don't remember.
                    Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

A/C deleted. Now I just need a DX belt to deleted the compressor too.

Comment

all that stuff is for people who want luxerey. If you want to go fast then off it, if you want a cadillac then charge it. you need to decide which way you want to go. When i got rid of all that stuff on my cb7, i got a noticable top end gain and it was worth it to me. i have strong arms so power steering loss wasn't noticable. AC never gets used. And cruise i always set at 15 to 20 over so that does me no good and w/o i pay more attention to my speed and whats going on so i don't get tickets w/o cruise. But basically its up to you.
                        vouch for:924dr, sn2bh22cb7, soysaucecb7, ecto1, PRIMESNIPER,2.2litrebeater,turbowagon94, losiracer2,jacobuchanan140, tommi, dannyd

Comment

hey just wondering, (without hijacking ur thread), I have cruise control on my 1991 EX and I wanna delete it.

For anyone out there who's done it, can you let me know exactly how to remove it completely?

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by freq
                            A/C deleted. Now I just need a DX belt to deleted the compressor too.

Compressor is now gone, compressor bracket is gone and a DX alternator belt installed.

Comment

i couldnt see the point of losing its functionality for a measly (what, 100lb?) weight reduction. either way the car is still heavy. without it, no more cold air in the summer or dry air for the defroster... as long as its turned off, the A/C clutch spins freely, so theres really no added drag on the motor. but hey thats just me

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                              Current cars:
                              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                              X