Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Stock Airbox w/ Resontar Removed VS. a Cone Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Airbox w/ Resontar Removed VS. a Cone Filter

Just curious, is there any difference in noise between a stock air box with the resonator removed VS. a cone filter attached to stock intake plastic pipe?

I would think there would be more noise with the stock air box removed with a cone filter in its place b/c of more air being able to go in. Has anyone gone through both setups?

Thanks.

Originally posted by KINGPIN33
    Just curious, is there any difference in noise between a stock air box with the resonator removed VS. a cone filter attached to stock intake plastic pipe?

I would think there would be more noise with the stock air box removed with a cone filter in its place b/c of more air being able to go in. Has anyone gone through both setups?

Thanks.
    There will be a significant difference in sound.

It doesn't have as much to do with extra airflow as it does with the path the air takes. The stock intake is designed to channel the air (and thus sound) through a series of tubes and expansion chambers to dissipate the sound waves and control the resonant effect.

This costs a little bit of power, but honestly it isn't much (getting sufficient airflow with little resistance to flow is the most important for power).

The other thing that most people don't mention about resonant power is that resonation occurs over a fairly narrow RPM range (maybe a couple hundred RPM).

To me, it is a relatively large tradeoff, for a relatively small gain.

I have had all 4 setups (stock, short ram, cold air, modified stock).

I thought the short ram (i.e. a cone filter on a tube in the engine bay) was the loudest and boomiest of all 4.

The cold air was a little bit quieter, but still loud when you got on it.

The stock was obviously the quietest.

I ended putting the stock setup back in because the other two were just too loud.

Then I decided to remove the upper tube, and take a hole saw and enlarge it to 2".

Then I replaced the upper tube with a tube 2" in diameter. This helped quite a bit. It honestly feels about the same as it did with a cold air, and more responsive then when I had a short ram.

The advantage is that it sounds like stock until you get on it. Then it has a nice roar to it that sounds more refined than a cone filter setup, but sounds quite a bit meaner than stock too.

I have gotten nothing but huge compliments from people who have actually heard me open it up. It sounds VERY good.

I will try and get some F22 retirement videos, not only for my own use, but also for comparison purposes, and to add to the media section.

My next step is to fabricate a larger volume airbox system for the H22. Initially it will be fiberglass, but I am eventually going to make it out of Carbon Fiber.

We will see how that goes.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

can we get a pic of that please. because I'm doing the cone filter on the stock intake tube. if this method is more responsive then I want to do this one.

and the pic is for the 2" enlargement. i have no idea what tube you're talking about. Me= stupid.
      my 91 cb7
      Originally posted by 4doorfury
      I swear, if I hit a raccoon I'll just keep pushing him, there's no way he's going to fit underneath the car

Comment

Thanks for the thorough response. I was afraid of excessive unwanted noise. I would expand the snorkel hole to 2", but I hate to hack up my airbox.

I rather a much more refined rumble than a stupid loud raspy noise comin out of my econo box.

Some say on an A6 you can hear the dual runners open up when you get on it... I didn't hear any difference unless I'm deff.

Oh I forgot to mention, with all the tubes removed from the stock air box, my sister says it sounds the local bus running along my street.
        Last edited by KINGPIN33; 12-20-2006, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wlfpck
          can we get a pic of that please. because I'm doing the cone filter on the stock intake tube. if this method is more responsive then I want to do this one.

and the pic is for the 2" enlargement. i have no idea what tube you're talking about. Me= stupid.

I will get pics when I pull everything apart to swap it.

It is ghetto fabulous, but unless you really look, you don't even notice it, and it worked.

There are two tubes running into the chamber where the airfilter is. One sits on top of the other. They are wedged between the side of the car and the battery.

I replaced the one on top with a 2" length of pipe.

I left everything else alone.

I originally used the pipe just to fab it up, but it worked so well, I just left it.

Comment

Thanks for the thorough response. I was afraid of excessive unwanted noise. I would expand the snorkel hole to 2", but I hate to hack up my airbox.

I rather a much more refined rumble than a stupid loud raspy noise comin out of my econo box.

Some say on an A6 you can hear the dual runners open up when you get on it... I didn't hear any difference unless I'm deff.

Oh I forgot to mention, with all the tubes removed from the stock air box, my sister says it sounds the local bus running along my street.
            I wouldn't worry about hacking the stock airbox. You will probably like the sound, and if you don't, or if you go back to stock, you can replace it for a couple bucks because nobody will want one.

You can't hear the dual runners with the stock system, but I have been able to hear it on every short ram I have heard on an IAB setup.

It is a little change in tone at 4800RPM. It is distinct.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
              I wouldn't worry about hacking the stock airbox. You will probably like the sound, and if you don't, or if you go back to stock, you can replace it for a couple bucks because nobody will want one.

You can't hear the dual runners with the stock system, but I have been able to hear it on every short ram I have heard on an IAB setup.

It is a little change in tone at 4800RPM. It is distinct.

When you say you can hear it with the IAB setup? What do you mean exactly? Is the IAB that little black box that opens and closes the valve in the snorkel hose depending on the RPM? I currently have all the tubes going into the stock air box removed along with that little black box that controls the valve.

So if I got a SRI, would I need the little black box still?

Thanks.

Comment

an intake was too loud so you put stock back on? dang, your even pickier then i am
                Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

When you say you can hear it with the IAB setup? What do you mean exactly? Is the IAB that little black box that opens and closes the valve in the snorkel hose depending on the RPM? I currently have all the tubes going into the stock air box removed along with that little black box that controls the valve.

So if I got a SRI, would I need the little black box still?

Thanks.
                  The IAB setup was only on the F22A6 in the 1991 SE and the 1992-1993 EX/SE.

It is a set of secondary runners in the intake manifolds that opens at 4800RPM for more top end power.

The little flap that you are referring to was installed by Honda in the "high power" intake duct (the lower snorkel tube) to help keep the stock intake quiet at low RPM.

That little flap opens at 3500RPM which allows air to flow through the bottom tube to allow more air into the airbox, which allows more high RPM power.

If you install a cone filter, you won't need that little black box or that flap any more, because they won't be doing anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 92ex
                    an intake was too loud so you put stock back on? dang, your even pickier then i am

Yes. LOL!

The thing I like about the new one is that it sounds just like stock until I get on it, and then it sounds like stock, but meaner. My car does not sound like puss.

In fact it downright screams if I wind it out.

The main thing I didn't like about the intake was that if you pushed the gas to maintain speed, it would start droning, and then everyone thought I was trying to race, and it got old.

I don't have nearly as many problems now, and it is much more enjoyable on long trips.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                      The IAB setup was only on the F22A6 in the 1991 SE and the 1992-1993 EX/SE.

It is a set of secondary runners in the intake manifolds that opens at 4800RPM for more top end power.

The little flap that you are referring to was installed by Honda in the "high power" intake duct (the lower snorkel tube) to help keep the stock intake quiet at low RPM.

That little flap opens at 3500RPM which allows air to flow through the bottom tube to allow more air into the airbox, which allows more high RPM power.

If you install a cone filter, you won't need that little black box or that flap any more, because they won't be doing anything.
                      Well I know I have an A6 because its stamped on the engine...
                      With the resonator tubes off, the car is pretty loud under load... but sounds pretty good inside the cabin.

from outside the car, I am not sure what it sounds like...but my sister said it sounded like my local bus running around. If I throw in a stock air box K&N filter replacement will it make a difference in sound?

Comment

Well I know I have an A6 because its stamped on the engine...
                        With the resonator tubes off, the car is pretty loud under load... but sounds pretty good inside the cabin.

from outside the car, I am not sure what it sounds like...but my sister said it sounded like my local bus running around. If I throw in a stock air box K&N filter replacement will it make a difference in sound?

The filter won't change the sound much.

Also, if you want to know what it sounds like outside, have someone drive it while you watch.

Mine sounds stock from outside too, only a little meaner. Maybe because I have the resonator in there still, although I think it has more to do with the fact that the air flows through tubes, and then into the airbox. If you just pull the tubes out, you get turbulent airflow, which creates a lot of noise.

Comment

Yea right now im running the stock airbox without tubes, its hella loud when I give it half gas. The sound it produces resembles of something like a Vacumn loud and annoying but Im putting in a larger diameter pipe like owequitit so it will quiet it. Before this I used a 94 accord short ram intake, it was good I got the best of both worlds, the short ram effect, and the filter sat right by the headlight so it sucked in mostly cold air and the battery was acting as a shield against the engine heat, but I sold it because it was rubbing against the abs unit, and all these other tubes. Stock airbox ftw!! lol.

Comment

I just have a can + cone filter.

The sound is similar to the AEM SR when I first had it. But it starts to sound as you open it up.

I don't really care for the sound now, but I might put back the stock box as I might sell the car.
                            hahahahah

Comment

Raising this thread back from the dead incase anyone searches this. I've gone the route of installing a cone filter onto the exisiting rubber intake pipe with a can. It's ghetto, but it works like a charm!

It is true that this setup is the loudest by far. I have an F22A6 bone stock car (besides the intake) and when those dual runners open up, you can hear it pretty damn well. A couple of my friends have also commented on how loud it was. Some say the sound could pass as VTEC maybe lol. A buddy who has a RSX says its louder than his SRI intake.

So to conclude, this setup gives you the illusion that you have more power than you ACTUALLY have. As for gas milage, I haven't seen any improvement or negative effects (290,000 km). If your a person who loves engine noise, than this mod is for you

Comment

Working...
                              X