Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Replace motor mounts job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace motor mounts job

I just have a quick question for motor mounts job.

Is it necessary for an engine out or just an engine lifted?

You can raise it and then just discnnnect the mount and replace it right?

My back one is going bad. My engine shakes like crazy lol.

BTW, if I were to pay a place, do you know the estimates?

Cheaper if I were to buy it seperate and rent and engine hoist?
    No longer have a cb7.

V6 POOOWAAAA

lol, a buick.

cheaper if you do it yourself, and no, the motor doesn't have to come out, just loosen the others, tilt and you'll create enough space, but it will still suck
    ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

Put a well padded jack under the oil pan for increased support. Don't put too much weight on it... but it'll help take some of the strain off the other mounts. You definitely don't need to pay anyone. If you have access to a hoist, you can just attach the engine while it's mounted, make it tight, and then just go from there, one at a time.

I see you're looking for an A6 cam. Get the A6 intake manifold and you'll probably see even more gains (if you don't have it already.) Do this at the same time, and the rear motor mount will be easier to get to! The intake manifold is what is in the way of the rear mount from the top. It'll still be a pain, but not too hard to get to.

Comment

automatic or manual?

its easier if you disconnect the front motor mount. leave the two side ones in, they will hold the motor up no problem, you dont even need a jack under the motor. with the front & rear loose, you can tip the motor forward or backward to give you room to pull the rear mount out. the three 14mm bolts that hold it down are accessible even with the rear bracket still attached to the motor. its not necessarily hard to replace, its just hard to get to... if you remove the intake pipe usually theres enough room to get in, but of course it would be even easier with the intake manifold removed. but not necessary.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Correct me someone if I'm wrong...

I heard that the rear engine mount on an automatic and manual CB7 are interchangeable. Is that correct?

Comment

not if you want it to work properly

My Members Ride Page

Comment

Originally posted by Accordolictx
              I heard that the rear engine mount on an automatic and manual CB7 are interchangeable. Is that correct?
              Actually, our cars came w/ 3 different rear mounts:Auto, EX manual, and DX/LX manual. The EX manual and Auto rear mounts are fluid filled, the DX/LX manual is rubber, but the best design for polyurethane filling. And also the EX manual and Auto uses the tall bracket arm and the DX/LX manual uses the short bracket arm b/c the mount itself is shorter in height.

Comment

I'm changing my EX manual rear mount now and its all rubber...

I'm a bit of a noob mechanic wise, but I'd say that rear mount is not easy to replace. I did the others in about 30 min to an hour a piece and have spent days trying to pry this last mount out, lol.
                PM me for the following...
                -Driver's side 2-door armrest in tan for sale - $5 + shipping

I'm currently looking to buy an N/A mkIII (86.5-92) supra. PM if you or anyone you know is selling anywhere near CO.

Comment

Do the engine tip as cp[mike] suggested. If you've got it unbolted, that's all you'd need to pry it out. Unbolting is the part that always gets me!

Were all EX mounts fluid filled? Or just the 92-93, F22A6 equipped ones?

Comment

Mine's automatic.

So should I really buy the polyurethane, is it worth it?

I think right now I should just go for a replacement to save some money.
                    No longer have a cb7.

V6 POOOWAAAA

lol, a buick.

Comment

btw wait how do you know if it's going bad? I mean my engine is shaking like a bitch but maybe that's because a bolt's loose? like how would a engine mount go bad? the filling is gone?.... u know what i mean
                      No longer have a cb7.

V6 POOOWAAAA

lol, a buick.

Comment

That would be your motor mount...You basically have 4 rubber mounts holding up your motor...They go bad your motor will vibrate. Load testing will reveal it more.

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        I piss off people for fun.
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I know but how does a motor mount go bad? I can see it shaking on the bolt, like does it just need to be tightened down or the filling has gone bad or what like i dont get it how it can go bad.
                          No longer have a cb7.

V6 POOOWAAAA

lol, a buick.

Comment

If the bolts holding the mounts to the frame are loose, then tighten them before the engine falls out! If the bolts holding the motor to the mounts are loose, then tighten them before the engine falls out!

As it has been said before, when the mount goes bad, the rubber tears. Essentially, you have the center metal part that the engine is bolted to bouncing around the broken rubber, not really held by anything. If the rubber is bad, replace your mounts, or fill the old ones with polyurethane (which is actually the cheaper alternative... though filling a good mount is probably a better idea).

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                              That would be your motor mount...You basically have 4 rubber mounts holding up your motor...They go bad your motor will vibrate. Load testing will reveal it more.
                              i have a freind w/ a 92 ex coupe auto and he told me that his car didnt have the drivers side engine mount. i figured mine did b/c its stick, but now i dont think so. did it come from the factory without one? i dont know why they would put just three...
                              Last edited by bmxboi23; 06-25-2007, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X