Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

is there a such thing as a fly wheel that is too light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is there a such thing as a fly wheel that is too light?

I got the ACT 8 or 9lb flywheel and I was told by a friend it may be too light and that I should have gotten a 12 or 13 lb......

what will be the difference in performance?

Nitrous is like a hot chick with a STD..... you know you wanna hit it, but you are afraid of the consequences.....

...Zex wet kit, 65 shot, dual purge, JDM H22...pure sex! .....I owned 8 CB7's in one year...top that JARHEAD...lol
    ...this thread has been graced by the new CB7 King

lighter flywheel = faster revving, but lighter flywheel has less mass therefore less inertia, so if its really light you may have to have the idle speed adjusted a little higher so there is enough energy to keep it spinning

Click here to see my ride!

Comment

good answer. i had the same question ahah

vanillagorilla A.k.A glock22
      Then one day I meet a man,
      He came to me and said,
      "Hard work good and hard work fine,
      but first take care of head"

Comment

It will downrev just as quick so if you slack off it will bite you. Personally I would prefer a 12lb for dd. IF I was needing a track car thats when an 8-9lb is needed.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yeah i always wondered why so many people i meet rave about them. i heard a similar type of argument about putting a h22 trans in a accord. shorter gears vs. longer gears. turnout ended up being longer gears so you stay in boost longer

He came to me and said,

Comment

I've driven an Accord with an 8 pound flywheel. It's fun if you're going for it on twisty roads and need to up and downshift a lot. However, having to downshift to 2nd or 3rd to go up hills is a little tedious.

I think I'd stick to an 11 or 12 lb unit for the streets, especially if it was a daily driver.

If it was a weekend only or part time track car, I'd rock an 8 or 9 lb piece.

Comment

i am a bit curious though to as how it would work out with a trans with longer gears and a lightened flywheel

He came to me and said,

Comment

I have a 12lb now... not really that much different from stock, honestly. 2 days to get used to it, and it was fine. I'll probably go for a lighter one soon.

Too light and you will have problems, yes. When you shift and let off the gas, the RPMs will drop much faster the lighter you go. Too much of that is bad. A little is good, if you can shift quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                  I have a 12lb now... not really that much different from stock, honestly. 2 days to get used to it, and it was fine. I'll probably go for a lighter one soon.

Too light and you will have problems, yes. When you shift and let off the gas, the RPMs will drop much faster the lighter you go. Too much of that is bad. A little is good, if you can shift quickly!
                  You just got used to it thats all =P.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  I piss off people for fun.
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

It wasn't that big a change in the first place (don't let cp[mike], MRX, AccordWarrior, or prodigymb tell you any different!)

Comment

I think on a motor that has a decent amount of torque to begin w/ a light flywheel, like 8 or 9 lbs would be okay. On a motor w/ little torque to begin w/, you're going to have to rev it much higher just to get an effective amount of torque. I myself am planning on an 8 or 9 lb flywheel once I put my M2B4 on my F22a6. And in reference to shorter gears and boost, longer gears help only when traction is a problem w/ shorter gears, but otherwise, it'll still be the same benefits as N/A.

Comment

I just ordered a 8lb fidanza.

Comment

im running a 9 pounder with short gearing, and i <3 every second of it.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                            im running a 9 pounder with short gearing, and i <3 every second of it.
                            And your car was the one I was referencing of why I wouldn't get an 8 lb flywheel on a street car.

Comment

mines 7.5 and it feels OEM except when i RUn it and the clutch feels funny afterwards
                              either kill it or drift it...

2002 Toyota Tundra V8

Comment

Working...
                              X