Question on Battery Hold Down Plate Refinish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Battery Hold Down Plate Refinish

I found one of my previous hold down plates and overall it's in good shape except for the coating which has been peeling off. I've observed 2 things. One is the smoothness of the metal under the coating and the other is the coating itself which is rather thick and reminds me of Plastidip. I suspect the root cause for the coating failure is lack of adhesion.

So here's a couple questions is it better to find a chemical stripper or just go after it with drill mounted steel wheel brushes?
    I figure the brushes will rough up the metal and ensure a better mechanical bond with whatever finish I use.
    And is Plastisol the best choice or should I look into some type of powder coat or expoxy paint?

My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

I did one with plastidip, but I think it was on one I sold, so I don't know how it held up. IMHO I'd go with powder coating. I think overtightening on the OEM flexible coating contributes to its failure.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
    X